PDA

View Full Version : Best introduction to polys for a multi user

Netspirit
08-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Is there "the best" modern poly that is not overly harsh/stiff but still offers decent spin like a true poly (and possibly, but not necessarily, lasts a bit longer than typical polys do)?

Basically, I have never played with a poly string before (just multis) and I would like to know what it feels like (full stringbed, no hybrids). I am somewhat paranoid about my health, so I am looking for something relatively soft, high-quality (the price does not matter since it is just a one-time experiment), and yet truly spinny and therefore representative of what polys can offer.

Is there a "benchmark" soft modern poly you could recommend for a multi user?

For example, if somebody only played with tournament nylon and wanted to test-drive something else, I would recommend VS Team for gut, LaserFibre SuperNatural Gut ProStock for multis, and so on.

MarrratSafin
08-27-2010, 02:36 AM
Coming from a multi you'd like a soft co-poly that offers good feel and comfort, and also a good level of power. And more spin.. so my suggestions would be Polyfibre Hexablade, WeissCannon Turbotwist, Solinco Tour Bite, or the Techifibre X Code which I'm looking forward to trying soon.:)

-Bobo-
08-27-2010, 03:10 AM
I second Tour bite, soft and decent feel for a poly, also really powerful and most spin I've found so far.

bad_call
08-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Coming from a multi you'd like a soft co-poly that offers good feel and comfort, and also a good level of power. And more spin.. so my suggestions would be Polyfibre Hexablade, WeissCannon Turbotwist, Solinco Tour Bite, or the Techifibre X Code which I'm looking forward to trying soon.:)

add PS Big Ace Micro to that list. btw - funny that you would recommend a string you haven't even tried. :lol:

Gasolina
08-27-2010, 06:41 AM
A lot of the Polyfibre strings are super soft. What I notice is the softest poly strung at the lowest tensions is almost as stiff as a multi strung in the 60s.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
08-27-2010, 07:06 AM
MANTIS Power Poly is great for comfort, it actually was the string which made me stop using x-one! IT's quite cost-effective as well.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
08-27-2010, 07:07 AM
But if money doesn't matter, go Luxilon!

JackB1
08-27-2010, 07:18 AM
A lot of the Polyfibre strings are super soft. What I notice is the softest poly strung at the lowest tensions is almost as stiff as a multi strung in the 60s.

^^^^^^^

totally agree.

I have an unopened pack of Polyfibre TCS if the op wants to try it out, email me thru my profile.
Onbe of the softest Co-poly's out there......period. Also, the op should "get his feet wet", by hybriding
the co-poly with a soft multi.

Power Player
08-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Solinco Tour Bite and Big Hitter Blue Rough are both awesome. Keep your tension LOW.

Gasolina
08-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Solinco Tour Bite and Big Hitter Blue Rough are both awesome. Keep your tension LOW.
When you say LOW, do you mean 40 lbs for the BHB and mid 40's for the Tour Bite?

I'm skeptical to how the Tour Bite will perform at low tensions, since it's already a fairly soft poly

DennisK
08-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Really surprised nobody has mentioned Polystar Energy yet.

Buckethead
08-31-2010, 12:32 PM
MSV Focus EVO, MSV EVO HEX,Weiss Cannon Match Power,Babolat Pro Hurricane are really soft for 58 lbs tension.
The Polyfibre strings (most of them) are soft as well.

rcole
08-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Really surprised nobody has mentioned Polystar Energy yet.

I'll mention PolyStar Energy.

I had played the last 2-3 years with Fischer MComp 95s strung with Pacific Tough Gut strung at 52 lbs.

I switched to the new Pacific xforce racket and ordered about a dozen sets of strings and a gamma x-2 stringer.

So far I have tried Poly Star Energy, Solinco Revolution and Tour Bite/Vanquish hybrid, and Genesis Spin-X. I've played a few sets wtih each. All strung full bed at 52 lbs.

My favorite by far is the PolyStar Energy. It has great feel, great ball pocketing, and also great spin. I can swing out and the ball seems to just drop off cliff onto the baseline. And my arm feels great. I like it more that gut because I can take a bigger cut at the ball.

As Steve Jobs might say, this string is magical.

I have a few more strings to demo, including some multis, but i now keep one racket strung with the energy. I can imagine settling on this and buying a reel in the next couple of weeks.

ManuGinobili
08-31-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm also going to have to vouch for Energy, it's a soft and powerful poly with great touch (for a poly mind you) and control. In fact I can't imagine a better transition string for multi users. Only this time you'll be able to swing as hard as you can. And yes it's my string of choice.

kenshireen
09-02-2010, 04:43 AM
I use a 110... usually string at 60...recommended is between 55-65.
What would you recommend I string polystar energy at.
I'm a base line player

thanks

Fedace
09-02-2010, 04:45 AM

Is X-code better than Black code ??

Fedace
09-02-2010, 04:46 AM
But if money doesn't matter, go Luxilon!

i think Lux is way too stiff, could be a shock to the arm. I would go with 18 guage Kirschbaum proline2

0d1n
09-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Gosen Polylon SP (not to be mistaken for regular polylon...that one is stiff and sh1tty) is one of the softest poly strings I've tried.
Feels decent as well and doesn't move (unlike other synthetics).
Great string for the price.

Netspirit
09-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I decided to start from Solinco Tour Bite, full stringbed, 18g, 52lbs (my normal multi tension is about 57lbs).

It indeed felt very soft and powerful - so much that I had to hold back a little, despite the welcome and visible increase in spin. I guess I need to try it at the same tension as multi.

Stringing was a bit more difficult. The crosses did not slide smoothly though mains, "biting" them. I had some trouble tying the knots - once you tighten them a little, they become stiff and no longer move easily along the string towards the frame.

The stringbed looks slick, shiny and dark-grey.

The strings do not move much - quite a relief for a long-time multi user. I liked the spin on groundstrokes. The feel on touch shots and volleys was there, but was kind of unremarkable. I would not say that the string "invites" you to play at the net - it rather "tells" you to stay at the baseline and experiment with crazy angles.

I did not like it on serves. Quite a few of them went long (probably due to my low tension and the high power of the string). When I tried to add more topspin to my serves, they started to go in, but I was not completely confident anyway (due to somewhat limited feel/feedback at impact).

However, on serve returns it was magic. I got a lot of control and placement on non-agressive returns - so much that I did not feel the need to go agressive.

Overall - I liked it. It really allows you to do more, to hit the ball more freely. It is fun.

I plan to try Polystar Energy next.

Power Player
09-07-2010, 05:20 AM
When you say LOW, do you mean 40 lbs for the BHB and mid 40's for the Tour Bite?

I'm skeptical to how the Tour Bite will perform at low tensions, since it's already a fairly soft poly

I play with a soft poly at 44#s and it is excellent. I have more control then I did with high tensions. It just matters how much spin you hit with.

Tour bite is great at 40#s. Just a hair too much power..I think 45#s would be ideal.

NMTennis
09-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Quick question:
Going to try a hybrid setup for the first time and want to ask people's opinion of tension. Currently use Babolat PD (non-Cortex) with a multifilament (either Wilson Sensation or Technifibre Ematrix) at 62 lbs.

Planning on trying hybrid with solinco Tourbite and Vanquish or Luxilon BB rough or Power (with a multi)...

What tension would you start at? Polys on Crosses or mains? Briefly read different opinions (traditionally on mains...right?)

Thanks in advance....

Netspirit
09-08-2010, 02:28 AM
I bought both tour bite and the hybrid (tour bite + vanquish), so I plan to try the hybrid eventually too. This was before I actually tried tour bite alone and found it to be soft enough to work well in a full bed setup.

I am going to string TB mains at my normal multi tension minus 2 pounds, and Vanquish crosses at my normal multi tension.