PDA

View Full Version : Did my first stringjob...and I messed up..what consequences if any..

Spin-A-Lot
08-27-2010, 08:29 AM
An old Klippermate was kindly donated to us for our tennis club. Since none of us has any experience in stringing, our Coach was kind enough to teach us how to use it last night and it seemed easy enough...

Until I tried it myself today and it took me about 2 to 3 hours to finish one! Most of the time I was trying to remember his instructions..if only we video taped it..

Anyway, my question is I messed up the weave near the end. A couple of the crosses didn't weave properly. As in 2 crosses went over 2 mains instead of going over and under. I didn't notice it till after I finished the whole thing :( What sort of implications will that have on the racquet?

Also, I tied it off at the wrong spot too! It seemed right while it was mounted. Would that cause any problems too?

Thanks in advance :)

drakulie
08-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Ahhhh, don't give up, and don't be disheartened. The more you string, the better you will become.

As for the string job, it is illegal to play with a racquet with a misweave. If this effects the playability is really up to debate, but it would definitely play differently with an number of many misweaves.

That said, it is your responsibility to give your customer a properly strung frame, so you will need to cut out the strings, and do it again.

Also, tying off in the wrong place could cause a crack in the frame material, and would void any warranty.

Yulitle, and now Irvin have some excellent videos on stringing. Suggest you look at them on UTUbe.

Good luck!

Spin-A-Lot
08-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks so much for that Drakulie!

Luckily I'm just practicing on my friend's frame. I'm sure he won't mind since I bought the string and spend 2-3 hrs stringing it for him hehehe ;)..

Didn't realise it's illegal to play with a misweave. Thanks for that info too :)

As for the frame after the wrong tie-off..it seems to be ok still...I hope...fingers crossed

Thanks once again :)

Power Player
08-28-2010, 07:43 AM
I also did both both those mistakes my first string job. Now I can string full poly in an hour with parnell knots tied off the in the proper grommets. So I am slowly progressing on my drop weight machine.

Keep at it, it gets frustrating for a bit but then it finally gets easy.

westside
08-28-2010, 08:02 AM
When I first started, i made so many mistakes all the time, i.e, would forget to clamp strings lol

The more racquets you do, the easier it becomes. When you tie good knots with Banger Rough, you'll know you've become damn good :D

Spin-A-Lot
08-29-2010, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the confidence boost guys :) I really appreciate it!

Just bought another couple of strings to practice with...might redo the one I messed up..

Another question though...I bought these el cheapo synth guts and I was wondering if strings also have like a recommended tension range like the frames...the one I did, the racquet is an old Head Spiral 660 with a tension range of 63-74 lbs..I strung it up at 64 and man it felt very stiff! It may very well be the string quality but I just can't help but wonder..