PDA

View Full Version : Are there some strings that just won't break even after a long period?

xrxpapi12
08-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I've only been playing tennis for 3 years now and my first crappy rec rackets strings(synth gut) broke my in the middle of my 2nd year playing for highschool, then I moved on to a different racket and haven't had it restrung since March this year

I obviously hit the ball a lot harder and cleaner and consistently than I did with my old racket when I was only a beginner (my newer one has a hybrid of head sonic 17 gauge ad head fxp @about 60lbs) do these strings only die out but not break?

meowmix
08-27-2010, 04:34 PM
All strings will break in the hands of the right player. Some strings, like your polyester (sonic pro) are harder to break than others (like your head FXP whatever). Eventually, they'll break.

Falloutjr
08-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah, you should play it safe, get it restrung now and again in a few weeks that should last you an entire season seeing as HS tennis seasons are short.

xrxpapi12
08-27-2010, 05:47 PM
I just wanted to experience the badassness of breaking strings again :D
I remember the first time it happened it was on a pretty critical point that me and my partner won two strokes after my strings broke - but we still lost :P

Outlined
08-27-2010, 07:21 PM
I played with a string called 'Big Banger' and the racket cracked before the string did, they hold very long.

technoob10
08-28-2010, 12:45 AM
you can always try kevlar

Falloutjr
08-28-2010, 02:45 AM
I remember the first time it happened it was on a pretty critical point that me and my partner won two strokes after my strings broke - but we still lost :P

No you don't; it's annoying as hell and rather inconvenient.

GorillaPeanuts
08-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Hurricane Tour's lasted me 15 months on one of my K6.1 95 Team

westside
08-28-2010, 03:27 AM
Hurricane Tour's lasted me 15 months on one of my K6.1 95 Team

Yeah, pro hurricane can last a very long time. I have my Pure Drives restrung only once every year

Capt. Willie
08-28-2010, 02:58 PM

No you don't; it's annoying as hell and rather inconvenient.

Not to mention the expence.

Netspirit
08-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Try metal wire (piano) strings:
http://tennishistory.com.au/blog/?tag=racquet

I bet they are durable enough to outlast your tendons.

vndesu
08-28-2010, 04:33 PM
kevlar. dont do a full set just hybrid it, only crazy ppl use full kevlar =D

flashfire276
08-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Bear in mind, almost all polys and co-polys will last a very long time (I had Babolat Revenge on my racquet for almost a year!). However, the actual life of the string would last only a couple weeks at most.

But yea. Babolat Revenge was probably the most durable string I ever used, and it was still very playable.

sportsfan1
03-30-2012, 02:31 PM
I have a Head racquet that came prestrung and I have played with it a couple of years, loaned it to others, never restrung it because the string never broke. Maybe because it was strung with barbed wire:shock:?

Jk, more likely becuase it's lost most of the tension...

alidisperanza
03-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Try metal wire (piano) strings:
http://tennishistory.com.au/blog/?tag=racquet

I bet they are durable enough to outlast your tendons.

Believe it or not, this stuff does eventually pop. Check out Gamma Edge 20-- prettymuch along the lines of piano wire

Kevo
03-31-2012, 06:39 PM
All strings break given time and usage. Some players hit very flat and their strings will last a long, long time. Other players hit hard with a lot of spin and their strings break quickly.

The way strings break is by friction of the strings rubbing against each other causing notches. Eventually the string just wears thin at the intersections and hitting the ball exceeds the capacity of the thinned out string.