PDA

View Full Version : Prolonged strings in frame = bad?

Jaewonnie
08-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Just out of curiosity. I have a 10 month old poly strung in my back up racket (initially strung at 62).

Would it damage the frame or anything?

klementine79
08-27-2010, 03:19 PM
^ By now it has lost so much tension. I'm guessing its in the low 50's or under.

JT_2eighty
08-27-2010, 03:31 PM
It will not damage the frame though. A racquet can be strung at 5 lbs or 65 lbs, and you're fine. If it had a few broken strings in it and it sat for that long, then you may get some warping or damage, otherwise no prob.

The strings however will have lost a decent about of elasticity and tension, and I'd say 10 months of sitting it probably lost at least 15 lbs if not even more. So in that case, the playability and feel may not be to your liking, and as the string loses elasticity, it actually stiffens up, which causes some people arm issues.

klementine79
08-27-2010, 03:31 PM
BTW Jaewonnie,

I've been experimenting with thin polys at very low tensions in my MGPM's and I'm liking the results.

Right now I have BBAce at 40lbs.(18.2kilos) and while I don't want to jump to any conclusions-- the setup is very friendly.

Remember the first racquet you had when you were a kid ( probably a ProKennex, at least mine was :smile: ) that came strung with some kind of cheap string and sat on the shelve for two years slowly losing tension.... Have you ever picked up that racquet since?

... It's kind of like that....

meowmix
08-27-2010, 03:32 PM
In today's frames, I would highly doubt that any damage would occur from keeping a frame strung. And like klementine79 said, that poly is probably under 50lbs.

klementine79
08-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Remember Jaewonnie,

That 'ping sound test' is the cap grommet hitting the string-- as opposed to other racquets with graphite exposed when struck lightly against the string-bed.

Your racquet would surely make a 'muted' sound otherwise.

Jaewonnie
08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Okay. Thx everyone. Lol I'm not too sure about the low string tension thing. I guess the next time I get my stick strung I'll try out 50. Then lower if I like it.
Had a walmart racket when I first started. It was the most vibrating thing I've ever held :D Just out of fun I smashed it so its now long gone.

How's the vibration on the low tensions?

rich s
08-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Just out of curiosity. I have a 10 month old poly strung in my back up racket (initially strung at 62).

No more so than if you played with it.....

federalprassi
08-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Okay. Thx everyone. Lol I'm not too sure about the low string tension thing. I guess the next time I get my stick strung I'll try out 50. Then lower if I like it.
Had a walmart racket when I first started. It was the most vibrating thing I've ever held :D Just out of fun I smashed it so its now long gone.

How's the vibration on the low tensions?

low tension vibration to me is less but contact is longer.

Virtua Tennis
08-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Put it this way you cross your eyes long enough you won't have control of those muscles and you will end up with crossed eyes.

The same can be said for a strung racquet leave that high tension on the frame it can and will weaken the frame. If you really want to scare yourself string a racquet with a stethoscope and listen to the graphite fibers break apart while your string it.

So yeah cut the strings out when your not play with that racquet at the end of the season.

rich s
08-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Put it this way you cross your eyes long enough you won't have control of those muscles and you will end up with crossed eyes.

The same can be said for a strung racquet leave that high tension on the frame it can and will weaken the frame. If you really want to scare yourself string a racquet with a stethoscope and listen to the graphite fibers break apart while your string it.

So yeah cut the strings out when your not play with that racquet at the end of the season.

uh.....no.....

Racquets are not muscles, they are graphite/kevlar/glass/etc fibres in an adhesive matrix. As long as the integrity of the matrix is not compromised when you unload the frame it will return to the shape that it was molded. If you overstress the frame (stringing it too high, hitting it against the ground, etc) all bets are off.....

Stringing a modern racquet within recommended tensions and letting it sit in a static state in a corner/bag/closet/etc does not overstress it any more than repeatedly hitting a ball with it.

I don't disagree that you might hear funky sounds when listening to one with a stethoscope while stringing it.....but it's not in a steady state when being strung......

Bud
08-28-2010, 07:08 AM

Forget the frame (that will be fine), you'll damage your shoulder/arm/wrist with dead poly strings. If you hit hard and play quite a bit... the max life is about a week.

I don't think pros use their poly strings for more than a set.

federalprassi
08-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Forget the frame (that will be fine), you'll damage your shoulder/arm/wrist with dead poly strings. If you hit hard and play quite a bit... the max life is about a week.

I don't think pros use their poly strings for more than a set.

is that why my arm is hurting from dead poly's?

Bud
08-28-2010, 08:38 PM
is that why my arm is hurting from dead poly's?

Could be :)

Poly is hard enough on the arm when it's brand new and still has its elasticity. Once it goes dead, you might as well be hitting with steel strings.