PDA

View Full Version : Signum Pro Micronite?

couch
08-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Anyone tried this string? Just strung Tornado mains and Micronite crosses in one of my racquets and will hit with it in the morning. Typically not a multi guy but thought I'd give this one a try.

sidzej
08-30-2010, 04:14 AM
I've also bought one set of Micronite, as it seems to be a good new multi from Signum Pro that won August 2010 string test in German Tennis Magazine. Let's see if it was a pre-paid or genuine "winner" of the test :)

How did your hybrid Tornado/Micronite play?

Cfidave
08-30-2010, 06:13 AM
I used it as a cross with Solinco Tour Bite. Played with it three times and found it to be a very comfortable string, with good pocketing and feel. Tension maintainence has been good, wear about average for a multi. Coating wears away quickly, but no fraying yet. Reminds me alot of Tecnifibre NRG2, maybe slightly softer, and a little more powerful. Racquet is Wilson BLX six one 95 16x18.

couch
08-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I've also bought one set of Micronite, as it seems to be a good new multi from Signum Pro that won August 2010 string test in German Tennis Magazine. Let's see if it was a pre-paid or genuine "winner" of the test :)

How did your hybrid Tornado/Micronite play?

Hit with it very briefly before a match this weekend so don't have much feedback right now. I have typically stayed away from multis because they just seem mushy to me. I'm used to using poly and a crisp synthetic as a cross. But since I've used Signum Pro poly strings for years now I thought I'd give some of their other strings a shot as crosses. Got some of the Topspin string they have too but the place I got it from, I think, said they weren't going to carry it anymore or SP wasn't going to make it anymore.

Anyway, I hope to get more hitting in with it throughout the week and will try to follow up.

witit
09-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Couch, any more feedback on the Micronite? I usually play with poly but want to give multi a try.

sidzej
01-11-2011, 07:18 AM
It took me a couple of months to finally try Micronite, but I am worrying that I didn't get the tension right this time. As I usually play with gut/poly hybrid or full poly (low tension), I wasn't sure about tension for this new multi.

After first hitting session (ca. 1h), I was happy with comfort, spin was average, feel was not bad, but what made it difficult to control was the power. Control was suffering a lot due to extra power at low tension (52/50). It behaved like full bed of gut strung very low - explosive, difficult to keep the balls in the court. I had to lift and slice a lot to keep the balls in, which is not my usual style of play. I will most likely cut it out, but might give it another try with tension closer to 60 or in a hybrid (as a cross string) with poly. Poly would tame the power and it could be a nice alternative to gut/poly hybrid.

If you haven't tried it yet, give it a go, it is a pretty nice multi, but string it high...certainly not close to low 50s.

parasailing
01-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I tried this at 17 gauge and wasn't really impressed with it. It bordered on being soft and crisp and lacked power when I stung it up at 57lbs compared to the likes of X1 or NRG2. I think it's just an average string.

junk
03-14-2011, 01:21 AM
anybody else tried this string? i'm a big fan of Signum Pro poly strings (SPPP, SP Hyperion, SP Tornado) so wonder how SP Micronite would behave as a cross string with poly strings in the main?

Tennis_Crazed
03-14-2011, 02:44 AM
anybody else tried this string? i'm a big fan of Signum Pro poly strings (SPPP, SP Hyperion, SP Tornado) so wonder how SP Micronite would behave as a cross string with poly strings in the main?

Junk - do you find that SPPP loses tension quickly? I was told that it wouldn't but have strung it up a number of times now and am getting this complaint. How does it compare to hyperion and tornado for tension maintenance?

junk
03-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Junk - do you find that SPPP loses tension quickly? I was told that it wouldn't but have strung it up a number of times now and am getting this complaint. How does it compare to hyperion and tornado for tension maintenance?

Hi Tennis-Crazed. I'm not too big of a stringaholic so don't have much experience with too many different kinds of strings but I think SPPP is softer than some of more widely used poly strings (i.e. Lux Alu Power or Rough) and it starts moving slightly after a few days (or hours) of hitting therefore giving an impression that it loses tension. I haven't played SPPP since last summer but I used to love that string - it would play fine till it broke, usually would last me 2-3 weeks of 4-5 days a week of hitting (in full bed). I switched to SPPP (1.23mm) from Lux Alu Power which I used for a couple of years in full bed but was looking for an alternative softer string because the Lux started giving me bad TE. The only reason I haven't played SPPP for almost a year is that I bought my own stringer at the end of last summer (Signum Pro S-3000) and it came with a free 200m reel of SP Hyperion (1.24mm). I tried it, and immediately fell in love with it. I'm yet to find a better string! Tried to compare it to Lux Alu Power and Rough, RPM, Red Code, Tornado and none of them came close to Hyperion in terms of playability, tension maintenance, spin. Probably SPPP would be the closest to it. I know Tornado is a more popular string but I tried it and wasn't too fused - softer than Hyperion and lost tension much quicker giving me a trampoline effect. Also, I don't find that textured or shaped strings give me more spin - I think it's all in the technique. They do grab the ball slightly better in the first 1-2 hours but lose that ability really quickly and then become more of a liability. Just to add, I haven't played Hyperion in full bed, only been using it as mains in hybrid with multis such as Gosen OG Micro 17 or Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17.

The reason I'm asking about SP Micronite is that I did find X-One Biphase a slightly better string than Gosen OC Micro in the hybrid with SP Hyperion mains but cannot justify the price difference (reel-to-reel comparison is roughly 7x more expensive) so thought maybe SP Micronite could come somewhere in the middle.

OP, sorry for stealing the thread and venturing into different strings.

parasailing
03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
^^^ You should consider NRG2 which is almost in the same ball park as Micronite in price and will offer you similar characteristics to X1.

junk
03-14-2011, 11:44 AM
^^^ You should consider NRG2 which is almost in the same ball park as Micronite in price and will offer you similar characteristics to X1.

thanks. it's on my "to try" list. unfortunately, it's only marginally cheaper than X-One so if I feel X-One is better than NRG2, i don't mind paying a small premium. on the other hand, SP Micronite is significantly cheaper (less than 60% of the cost of X-One) in the UK

parasailing
03-14-2011, 12:57 PM
thanks. it's on my "to try" list. unfortunately, it's only marginally cheaper than X-One so if I feel X-One is better than NRG2, i don't mind paying a small premium. on the other hand, SP Micronite is significantly cheaper (less than 60% of the cost of X-One) in the UK

Yeah didn't know you were in the UK. I think NRG2 is only 20% more in the US and X1 is 10% more than NRG2 but it's funny how you guys get Babolat VS 20% cheaper than we do.

junk
03-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah didn't know you were in the UK. I think NRG2 is only 20% more in the US and X1 is 10% more than NRG2 but it's funny how you guys get Babolat VS 20% cheaper than we do.

ha ha i'm not surprised at all. Babolat, Tecnifibre, Head, Volkl, etc etc are all European brands but somehow they sell their products cheaper in the US than in Europe. Signum Pro is one of the few (if not the only) that sells its products cheaper in Europe than in the US (or at least priced in line)

Alan_Hill
03-15-2011, 12:27 AM
ha ha i'm not surprised at all. Babolat, Tecnifibre, Head, Volkl, etc etc are all European brands but somehow they sell their products cheaper in the US than in Europe. Signum Pro is one of the few (if not the only) that sells its products cheaper in Europe than in the US (or at least priced in line)

How much did you buy a reel of Hyperion in Europe? I am considering to buy 1 reel at ~ $100

junk
03-15-2011, 01:57 AM
How much did you buy a reel of Hyperion in Europe? I am considering to buy 1 reel at ~ $100

$100 is a good price. TW Europe sells it for Euro 79.67 (~$110) but you can pick it up for ~$90 from some other sellers

Tennis_Crazed
03-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Hi Tennis-Crazed. I'm not too big of a stringaholic so don't have much experience with too many different kinds of strings but I think SPPP is softer than some of more widely used poly strings (i.e. Lux Alu Power or Rough) and it starts moving slightly after a few days (or hours) of hitting therefore giving an impression that it loses tension. I haven't played SPPP since last summer but I used to love that string - it would play fine till it broke, usually would last me 2-3 weeks of 4-5 days a week of hitting (in full bed). I switched to SPPP (1.23mm) from Lux Alu Power which I used for a couple of years in full bed but was looking for an alternative softer string because the Lux started giving me bad TE. The only reason I haven't played SPPP for almost a year is that I bought my own stringer at the end of last summer (Signum Pro S-3000) and it came with a free 200m reel of SP Hyperion (1.24mm). I tried it, and immediately fell in love with it. I'm yet to find a better string! Tried to compare it to Lux Alu Power and Rough, RPM, Red Code, Tornado and none of them came close to Hyperion in terms of playability, tension maintenance, spin. Probably SPPP would be the closest to it. I know Tornado is a more popular string but I tried it and wasn't too fused - softer than Hyperion and lost tension much quicker giving me a trampoline effect. Also, I don't find that textured or shaped strings give me more spin - I think it's all in the technique. They do grab the ball slightly better in the first 1-2 hours but lose that ability really quickly and then become more of a liability. Just to add, I haven't played Hyperion in full bed, only been using it as mains in hybrid with multis such as Gosen OG Micro 17 or Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17.

The reason I'm asking about SP Micronite is that I did find X-One Biphase a slightly better string than Gosen OC Micro in the hybrid with SP Hyperion mains but cannot justify the price difference (reel-to-reel comparison is roughly 7x more expensive) so thought maybe SP Micronite could come somewhere in the middle.

OP, sorry for stealing the thread and venturing into different strings.

Junk thanks for the detailed response! Very interesting...maybe i need to try some of their other strings. Seems like hyperion is a better quality string with better tension maintenance. I found that SPPP did start to move quite a bit.

mikeler
03-18-2012, 04:06 PM
I tried this at 17 gauge and wasn't really impressed with it. It bordered on being soft and crisp and lacked power when I stung it up at 57lbs compared to the likes of X1 or NRG2. I think it's just an average string.

I have been using the 16g at 60 pounds and playing extremely well at the moment.