PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about possible upgrade...

Kot_Bigemot
08-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Hi guys.
If i was to upgrade my stringer, what would you recommend? Currently i use Babolat Star 5 and it is a GREAT stringer, no questions. But i was thinking...may be there is something better out there...like something...more custom or...not sure how to explain.
For instance, there is a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus. Great cars but, if you really want to upgrade to something exclusive, more custom built, you go Bentley, Bugatti or something like that. You get the idea right?
Any thoughts, suggestions or info will be appreciated.
Thanks.

drakulie
08-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Technifibre makes what appears to be some great machines, that have some customization options to fit you personally. The bairdo would be an upgrade.

Obviously, the sensor expert would be the next logical step if you want to stay with Babolat.

I would probably pick the Prince 5 or 6000 machine over the babolat star 5, but would consider that to be more of a lateral move.

anything your particularly interested in, that may have caught your attention?

Good luck

Kot_Bigemot
08-29-2010, 04:55 AM
Technifibre makes what appears to be some great machines, that have some customization options to fit you personally. The bairdo would be an upgrade.

Obviously, the sensor expert would be the next logical step if you want to stay with Babolat.

I would probably pick the Prince 5 or 6000 machine over the babolat star 5, but would consider that to be more of a lateral move.

anything your particularly interested in, that may have caught your attention?

Good luck
Thank you very much Drak.
Funny, i was looking on to TF as well and even spoke with them on the phone. Their machines sound like they would be great choice. I also looked at bairdo they look good but, a bit too heavy perhaps? But i will test them again to see how they work.
Also, i am looking in to Extreme Sports to see if they are available in US to purchase. Those look great and as far i heard they work great too.
Never heard anything bad or good about Prince but, if you say they are good, i will check them out next week.
Thanks again.

Parker512
08-29-2010, 05:24 AM
I like the tecnifiber ones the one they use at the french open was nice the one that was $11,000

Kot_Bigemot
08-29-2010, 05:26 AM
I like the tecnifiber ones the one they use at the french open was nice the one that was $11,000
$11000 for a stringer sounds a bit extreme...even for me :)

coachrick
08-29-2010, 06:58 AM
$11000 for a stringer sounds a bit extreme...even for me :)

FINALLY! You were beginning to worry me! :) (Perhaps a little jealousy on my part) Watches, handguns, cars, power tools...now stringing machines! I KNEW there was another category I could spend way too much money on!!! :) Must...resist...wife would not understand. IRS would not understand. :)

kkm
08-29-2010, 07:33 AM
Hi guys.
If i was to upgrade my stringer, what would you recommend? Currently i use Babolat Star 5 and it is a GREAT stringer, no questions. But i was thinking...may be there is something better out there...like something...more custom or...not sure how to explain.
For instance, there is a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus. Great cars but, if you really want to upgrade to something exclusive, more custom built, you go Bentley, Bugatti or something like that. You get the idea right?
Any thoughts, suggestions or info will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Pacific makes great machines, mostly single-action fixed swivel clamps, the Tronic DX6 has a mounting which Stringway would be jealous of, linear or circular pulling head options, weighs less than 70 pounds, only thing is that tension is adjustable in 1-pound increments and not 0.5-pound increments. A good candidate for traveling stringers. Quite expensive.

The Yonex ES5Protech is maybe the best overall machine in production. Excellent racquet support, tension adjustable in 0.5-pound increments, doesn't overshoot, 360-degree turntable. Not cheap, but really not any more expensive than the Baiardo.

jim e
08-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Thank you very much Drak.
Funny, i was looking on to TF as well and even spoke with them on the phone. Their machines sound like they would be great choice. I also looked at bairdo they look good but, a bit too heavy perhaps? But i will test them again to see how they work.
Also, i am looking in to Extreme Sports to see if they are available in US to purchase. Those look great and as far i heard they work great too.
Never heard anything bad or good about Prince but, if you say they are good, i will check them out next week.
Thanks again.

Xtreme has good customer service as well. I had an LCD screen go bad on me and they were very helpfull sending me a new LCD and touch panel, and it was an easy install.
They use to have a deal with free shipping to US, although I don't know if they still offer that.
I have the Pro Master, and wish I had the Pro master GT, as that has the Self Propelled Raising Tension Head , auto brake,and Semi Auto Base Clamps.
Seems like whatever I get , then someting else comes along to entice you.

Kot_Bigemot
08-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Xtreme has good customer service as well. I had an LCD screen go bad on me and they were very helpfull sending me a new LCD and touch panel, and it was an easy install.
They use to have a deal with free shipping to US, although I don't know if they still offer that.
I have the Pro Master, and wish I had the Pro master GT, as that has the Self Propelled Raising Tension Head , auto brake,and Semi Auto Base Clamps.
Seems like whatever I get , then someting else comes along to entice you.
Yes, i am looking in to getting in contact with those guys. Seems like they make high quality stringers.

Pacific makes great machines, mostly single-action fixed swivel clamps, the Tronic DX6 has a mounting which Stringway would be jealous of, linear or circular pulling head options, weighs less than 70 pounds, only thing is that tension is adjustable in 1-pound increments and not 0.5-pound increments. A good candidate for traveling stringers. Quite expensive.

The Yonex ES5Protech is maybe the best overall machine in production. Excellent racquet support, tension adjustable in 0.5-pound increments, doesn't overshoot, 360-degree turntable. Not cheap, but really not any more expensive than the Baiardo.
I am just curios if anyone at all can feel a 0.5 Lbs difference on a string bed? I think i can live without this option :)
Thanks for the info, i will look in to getting some info on both machines. Pacific and Yonex.

FINALLY! You were beginning to worry me! (Perhaps a little jealousy on my part) Watches, handguns, cars, power tools...now stringing machines! I KNEW there was another category I could spend way too much money on!!! Must...resist...wife would not understand. IRS would not understand.
Well....you do know the difference between men and boys do not you? It is price of toys :twisted:
But i hear you man. I do have excellent stringer and should just use it and be happy. But....just like cars - you get tired of it at some point.
As for wife and IRS...They do have one major thing incoming - both are trying to get as much out of me as possible :twisted:
As for understanding...It is on "need to know" bases and guess what...?:)

kkm
08-29-2010, 08:43 AM
I am just curios if anyone at all can feel a 0.5 Lbs difference on a string bed? I think i can live without this option :)
Thanks for the info, i will look in to getting some info on both machines. Pacific and Yonex.

I don't think it's a dealbreaker really. The machine Yonex offered before the ES5Protech, the ES5Pro, was adjustable in 1-pound increments, which was one thing they changed, to 0.5-pound increments, for the ES5Protech. The ES5Protech has 3-tooth tennis clamps and a tiltable turntable.
Both the Pacific Tronic DX6 and the Yonex ES5Protech can mount badminton racquets and some of the older(smaller) tennis racquets out of the box.
The pulling speed of the ES5Protech is adjustable. As far as I know it's not adjustable on the Tronic DX6. I also don't know whether the Tronic DX6 overshoots.

mad dog1
08-29-2010, 09:15 AM
how 'bout the Gosen GM2000EX?

Kot_Bigemot
08-29-2010, 12:29 PM
how 'bout the Gosen GM2000EX?
I'd have to look in to that as well. My list is growing. Great!

I don't think it's a dealbreaker really. The machine Yonex offered before the ES5Protech, the ES5Pro, was adjustable in 1-pound increments, which was one thing they changed, to 0.5-pound increments, for the ES5Protech. The ES5Protech has 3-tooth tennis clamps and a tiltable turntable.
Both the Pacific Tronic DX6 and the Yonex ES5Protech can mount badminton racquets and some of the older(smaller) tennis racquets out of the box.
The pulling speed of the ES5Protech is adjustable. As far as I know it's not adjustable on the Tronic DX6. I also don't know whether the Tronic DX6 overshoots.
Yonex always made high quality stuff. I think i may have to find out ho to test it.
Thanks again.

Parker512
08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Eagnas smart 6000 okay reviews at stringforum.net.

mad dog1
08-29-2010, 01:47 PM

dang, KB, i'm jealous. i'd be ecstatic to own a star 5. for how little i break strings, i can just barely justify owning my gamma 6004. if i spent anymore $ on a star 5 or better? my better half would just kill me. :)

mad dog1
08-29-2010, 01:49 PM

unfortunately there is no eagnas machine that can compete w/ the star 5 in quality so i'm sure KB won't be considering the smart 6000.

tray999
08-29-2010, 03:26 PM
I currently own and use a Star 5 and the only stringing machine I would even look at would be Wilson's Baiardo. Even with that stated, I could not justify the cost difference for the Baiardo over the Star 5. I am not sure the Baiardo's additional features justify it's cost over my Star 5. But if I was using someone else money, the Baiardo sure is a nice machine!

Kot_Bigemot
08-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Well...after dealing with Eagna's customer service(Victor), they would have to pay me some good money to use anything made by Eagnas. Sorry.
On more personal note - You have got to be kidding comparing Eagnas to Star 5. I will take it as a good joke.

dang, KB, i'm jealous. i'd be ecstatic to own a star 5. for how little i break strings, i can just barely justify owning my gamma 6004. if i spent anymore $ on a star 5 or better? my better half would just kill me. :)
In the post i said - possible upgrade. If i upgrade, i MUST absolutely fall in love with new stringer. So, i am exploring options.
Do not get me wrong, i do enjoy our Star 5. It is me and my close friend own a small shop. So, star 5 stays in the shop and we use it for ourselves and customers. No question - it does a great job and i do consider myself very fortunate to be able to string on it. However i do have a small DW X-2 at home which i use also. Great machine if you are a home stringer and string for yourself. I would take in over a crank any day. I am sorry but, i do not believe that crank can be as accurate as any constant pull stringer.
As for your better half. It sounds like your better half knows my better half. Now, if i spent $11 000 on a stringer, i am sure she would kill me in some really violent and exotic way and just dissolve my remains in acid to save some $$$ on my funeral.......Sometimes i have to remind myself that she IS MY BETTER HALF :twisted:

unfortunately there is no eagnas machine that can compete w/ the star 5 in quality so i'm sure KB won't be considering the smart 6000.
BINGO!!! As i said above - i think poster was just making a joke.
I currently own and use a Star 5 and the only stringing machine I would even look at would be Wilson's Baiardo. Even with that stated, I could not justify the cost difference for the Baiardo over the Star 5. I am not sure the Baiardo's additional features justify it's cost over my Star 5. But if I was using someone else money, the Baiardo sure is a nice machine!
That is precisely what i think. Is it worth the money? What can it do that my Star 5 does not? And that price difference.....And to be honest, it is not even a good looking machine. Just simple working "horse".
On the other hand, the Gosen looks great and i am really looking forward to hear from Extreme sports guys. Their machines look great, have great reviews so....

Parker512
08-29-2010, 04:56 PM
The price is great $800 you got to admit that.

kkm
08-29-2010, 04:59 PM

The Gosen GM2000EX is made in Taiwan (except for the clamps/clamp base, which are made in Japan) and doesn't seem so different from the other OEM-made-in-Taiwan stringing machines except cosmetically.

I don't particularly like the turntable of the Baiardo.

Kot_Bigemot
08-29-2010, 05:09 PM
The price is great $800 you got to admit that.
LOL! You are right :). My Star 5 cost me about $3600 all together with all the options. And about $1600 for my RDC.
So, yes, in terms of money Eagnas is a winner.
The Gosen GM2000EX is made in Taiwan (except for the clamps/clamp base, which are made in Japan) and doesn't seem so different from the other OEM-made-in-Taiwan stringing machines except cosmetically.

I don't particularly like the turntable of the Baiardo.
I am thinking may be i will take a ride to NYC during USO so i can try some of the machines there. I am only 4 hours away and i drive early in the morning, i can make it in 3-3.5 hrs. I have some connections, may be they will let me try to string a frame on that famous Baiardo. I really want to see how it feels.

drakulie
08-30-2010, 05:25 AM
^^Kot, where did you get an RDC for $1600?? Did you purchase the one TW sold?

Kot_Bigemot
08-30-2010, 05:41 AM
^^Kot, where did you get an RDC for $1600?? Did you purchase the one TW sold?
No, not TW. I do not remember where but, it was not new. We got a deal on returned one if i am not mistaken. It looked and felt new.

drakulie
08-31-2010, 05:22 AM
^^Thanks. Much appreciated. I'm currently on the hunt for one.

Kot_Bigemot
08-31-2010, 06:14 AM
^^Thanks. Much appreciated. I'm currently on the hunt for one.
No problems at all. In fact, i know a shop is closing down in Providence, RI. I know they had RDC. I f you want i can find out for you what brand is it and how much they would sell it for.

drakulie
08-31-2010, 06:27 AM
^^man, that would be awesome. Let me know. you could email me directly at drakulie@aol.com.

Thanks in advance.