PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon Adrenaline: Anyone using it?

AJK1
08-29-2010, 03:47 AM
I've just switched to Adrenaline, anyone on these boards using it?
Feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

ClubHoUno
08-29-2010, 01:42 PM
I've just switched to Adrenaline, anyone on these boards using it?
Feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

I used it for a while, but I didn't quite feel like it gave me anything extra, it felt soft, but lacked the crispness and control I get from the more expensive Alu Power and Alu Rough.

It has better tension maintenance, but I break VS Gut/Alu Power Rough after 8-10 hours anyway.

runningmann
08-29-2010, 01:59 PM
It plays exactly like head sonic pro to me, and its a dollar cheaper...so I like it for a soft poly, but for just a few bucks more, ALU rough is an upgrade.

Fedace
08-29-2010, 02:01 PM
i think Drakulie uses it. though lately he had recommended to me the Genesis black magic.

2Hare
08-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I've tried like almost 10 sets of it, contrary to what ClubHoUno said, I think the string is fairly stiff, definitely more so than Alu Power. It's also proven on paper that this is one of the stiffer poly string about 10% more so than the already stiff Alu power. It just doesn't feel as elastic as Alu power, so it's lower powered, and perhaps has better control.

But these characteristics seems to contribute to Adrenaline's better tension holding characteristics. So a worthy string to replace Alu power if you don't have arm issues and plan to get something cheaper but similar to Alu power.

Fedace
08-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I think it is the Cheap version of Alu power.... It isn't a flagship material but it is a GODD string so i would try it if so interested.

Kirko
08-29-2010, 02:29 PM
very very much ! my 1st time using it after using nat. gut for years and now prefer it. I got a sample for free and it provides good power and control, big thing I lke is the strings remain static (don't move) and the topspin is terrific! if this is an introductory string from luxilon, I can't wait to try the best they got :) very very pleased with the results.

chaddles
08-29-2010, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't classify it as a soft string by any means, but it does play very well. It has a pretty direct feel and gives good feedback, and I found that it had plenty of power for a poly. Obviously not in the same class as ALU Power but for the price you will struggle to find a better value string.

ClubHoUno
08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I've tried like almost 10 sets of it, contrary to what ClubHoUno said, I think the string is fairly stiff, definitely more so than Alu Power. It's also proven on paper that this is one of the stiffer poly string about 10% more so than the already stiff Alu power. It just doesn't feel as elastic as Alu power, so it's lower powered, and perhaps has better control.

But these characteristics seems to contribute to Adrenaline's better tension holding characteristics. So a worthy string to replace Alu power if you don't have arm issues and plan to get something cheaper but similar to Alu power.

Strange - to me it felt soft.
I had two identical weighted and matched racquets of the same model strung with VS Team @ 60 lbs mains in both and then Alu Power @ 56 lbs in the first and Adrenaline 1.25 @ 56 lbs in the other, and the one with Adrenaline in didnÝt feel as crisp and solid as the one with Alu Power-

For me it felt softer and just like a boring cheap poly.........

I'm a 4.5-5.0 player, who plays twice a week.

2Hare
08-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Strange - to me it felt soft.
I had two identical weighted and matched racquets of the same model strung with VS Team @ 60 lbs mains in both and then Alu Power @ 56 lbs in the first and Adrenaline 1.25 @ 56 lbs in the other, and the one with Adrenaline in didnÝt feel as crisp and solid as the one with Alu Power-

For me it felt softer and just like a boring cheap poly.........

I see, I think elastic string would feel more crisp than a stiffer string. So it would make sense if it feels more crisp with Alu power. I don't know, I like Alu power better because it's more comfortable, but I use adrenaline because it's cheaper :) I string mine in full poly setup @55. I'm a 4.0-4.5 player who plays 2-4 times a week.

bigmatt
08-29-2010, 06:25 PM
My experience mirrors 2Hare: Adrenaline was one of the stiffest feeling strings I've ever used, and it gave no power. If you hit hard and flat like DelPotro, it's probably OK, but not otherwise.

AJK1
09-04-2010, 07:28 PM
I tried it the other night in my recently purchased nPro Open, it played great, good control and mid power level which is perfect for me, i like it!!
Also, the nPro Open is a great stick, much better than the Babolat's i had in the past.
The Wilson has no tinny, hollow feel like the Pure Drive and Aero Pro Drives that i had.
A good combo, i'm happy!

armsty
09-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I didn't mind it, felt a lot more comfortable than ALU Rough, don't know why you guys think it's stiffer. And as to those who say it's stiffer but has better tension maintenance, these two are related but doesn't work exactly like that I don't think, I recommended it to a customer who is a forum member here and he seemed to like it.

thundaga
09-04-2010, 07:55 PM
This is the worst string I've tried all year, but it's important to note that it's not meant to be better than ALU Power and is why it's cheaper. To me it felt mushy (not in a good way), lacked power and just felt odd. Could possibly suit someone who's never used any premium polys but I'd rather play with a synthetic gut than this.

LanEvo
09-04-2010, 08:01 PM
hows durability?

Smurf
09-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Love the string a lot! It felt very stiff on the arm but my speed pro could be contributing to that as well. The adrenaline lasted me a little over a month, but I dont hit with excessive spin.

Vertiz
09-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Used to use rough but did not like it at all. Switched to Adrenaline which is somewhat similar to rough...without the rough. I hybrid PSGD on crosses with Adrenaline on mains. My cross tension is 51 and main tension is 54. I use a k6.1 tour and this setup is golden for me. One restring can usually last me 2months max. After that the synthetic starts to fray and all your feel/control is gone.

2Hare
09-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Another thing to add is Adrenaline doesn't dent at strings' contact points unlike a lot of other poly such as weisscannons, pro hurricane and enduro. (even Alu power dents a little) So the string will stay sliding longer, give it very good spin even even when it's dead or almost dead. So I think that's why the string feels like it lasts longer than many other polys. definitely feel like a premium poly at a bargain price.

GameSetMatch
09-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Post a video of yourself playing some points.

bluetrain4
11-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Stringer put 17g Adrenaline in my Prince Diablo mid at 56 lbs (I think) I'm not that picky about strings, but I really loved it. Great control and playability, and good durability (at least by my standards). I would choose it again since it's relatively cheap.

I found it to be more powerful than some other 17g polys that I've had in my Diablo, like Pacific Poly Force. Then again, I've dialed back the tension recently which may also account for the difference.

Not the holy grail, but a great option.

ReopeningWed
11-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Post a video of yourself playing some points.

Don't worry about it, he means he's a 5.0 like that morbidly obese guy on Youtube that makes instructional videos. hi10spro or something, who plays with a 137 in. racket.

Lsmkenpo
11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
It's a good string for the price, it is actually the exact same string as Kirshbaum Competition just in a different color, and repackaged as Luxilon Adrenaline.

Roger No.1
11-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Has anybody tried Alu Power Fluoro? It suppose to be the same as Alu Power but only softer.

fgs
11-18-2010, 06:06 AM
1. adrenaline is a rather stiff string but has good elasticity, so you don't "feel" it very harsh on your arm. what impressed me is that it not only held tension well (my time frame is about 8 hours till break) but kept it's elasticity over this period too. i've played the more expensive luxilons which initially were fantastic, but then went dead after three hitting hours and i got myself into shoulder-pains. spin and precision are very good.
2. it is very very different from kirschbaum competition - it's true that competition also keeps tension pretty well (in my time frame!!!, i never talk about months here!!!) but it is a lot softer. there is a trade-off in control and power. competition still is a very good string - i played with it for quite a long period of time, but it is surely not a differently coloured adrenaline!!!

Lsmkenpo
11-18-2010, 08:35 AM
1. adrenaline is a rather stiff string but has good elasticity, so you don't "feel" it very harsh on your arm. what impressed me is that it not only held tension well (my time frame is about 8 hours till break) but kept it's elasticity over this period too. i've played the more expensive luxilons which initially were fantastic, but then went dead after three hitting hours and i got myself into shoulder-pains. spin and precision are very good.
2. it is very very different from kirschbaum competition - it's true that competition also keeps tension pretty well (in my time frame!!!, i never talk about months here!!!) but it is a lot softer. there is a trade-off in control and power. competition still is a very good string - i played with it for quite a long period of time, but it is surely not a differently coloured adrenaline!!!

It is the same string as Competition, and I have scientific evidence to support my claim, it tested nearly identical in all categories including stiffness to Adrenaline.

http://i53.tinypic.com/16lcow6.jpg

You can not pick any two strings in the entire database that tested as close as these two did in every category.
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/reporter.php

Kirshbaum Competition is pre-stretched Luxilon Adrenaline in a yellow color.

TennezSport
11-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Here are the string test specs from the USRSA on a few Luxilons

String; Material; Gauge; Stiffness; Tension Loss(lbs)
Big Banger TIMO 117 Polyester 1.23 261 16.29
Big Banger TIMO 110 Polyester 1.15 241 16.91
Big Banger Ace 112 Polyester 1.16 232 17.05
Big Banger Original 1.30 Polyester 1.28 249 17.11
Big Banger Alu Power 1.25 Polyester 1.23 242 17.13
Big Banger Alu Power Fluoro 1.23 Polyester 1.23 226 17.64
Big Banger XP 1.25 Polyester 1.25 243 17.78
Big Banger 5 Star 138 Polyester 1.37 290 17.94
Big Banger Alu Power Rough 1.25 Polyester 1.25 240 18.98
Monotec Supersense 125 Polyester 1.26 250 19.21
Big Banger Original Rough 1.30 Polyester 1.28 266 19.21
Adrenaline 1.25 Polyester 1.23 261 19.40

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

fgs
11-19-2010, 12:10 PM
the specs are really quite similar but that the competition comes prestretched is of absolute novelty, not even the distributor had this information.
nevertheless, i have played both, still have some left on the reels (i'm a stringbreaker!) and can tell you from first hand playing experience that they perform very different in real life situations.

DownTheLine
11-19-2010, 12:36 PM
It's decent. Can't be compared to to ALU Power. I got turned off after it broke within an 1 1/2 hours like 6 times. Other times it lasted about 2 1/2 - 4 hours

Lsmkenpo
11-20-2010, 10:12 AM
the specs are really quite similar but that the competition comes prestretched is of absolute novelty, not even the distributor had this information.

Perhaps you should ask a distributor that knows something about Kirshbaum strings than, because Kirshbaum is one of the few companies that prestretches their polys, ask here at tennis warehouse.

nevertheless, i have played both, still have some left on the reels (i'm a stringbreaker!) and can tell you from first hand playing experience that they perform very different in real life situations.

Funny, I find them to play nearly identical in real life playing situations, that is the reason I checked the database comparing the two to begin with, the strings are nearly a constant in the equation. I used competition for years as my playing string, Adrenaline plays just like Competition for me, and it tests nearly identical scientifically, so I guess there must be some other variables involved that perhaps changes your experience with it.

fgs
11-20-2010, 11:15 PM
1. the guy i speak with works at kirschbaum (i'm in austria currently, he's in germany).
2. i string these strings at 23kg mains 22 kg crosses in my 106 nblades and they do play differently. as also can be seen from the data you provided, there seems to be some difference in the lower tension range, so this might be the reason. they do definitely play different for me. it is very possible that at a higher tension and with a different racquet the strings perform identical or almost identical - it would not be the first time in the 40 years since i play tennis that such a thing happens.

GameSetMatch
11-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Don't worry about it, he means he's a 5.0 like that morbidly obese guy on Youtube that makes instructional videos. hi10spro or something, who plays with a 137 in. racket.

LOL. That'll be Gary Sakuma. And does play with a weird oversized racquet and (self) rates at 5.0. His game knowledge is actually very good, though he does tend to talk a better game than he actually plays.

domhas1
11-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I playtested adrenaline and liked it a lot. I use the 1.20 and make sure I always have a racquet strung with it...