PDA

View Full Version : How tenacious are you?

Roadrunner
08-29-2010, 06:05 AM
How tenacious are you? I ask this as I’m somewhat of a beginner to tennis. Not a beginner to sport competition, Played the usual, Football, Basketball, Baseball back in HS, Then played baseball at a D1 collage. So anyway, started playing tennis about 18 months ago, then in 2010 started playing league matches and such. I have noticed over the course of the year many times when I’m up say 40-love or 40 -15 in a game my opponent will sort of just “let” me win the game. Putting very little effort into the last point. I assume the thought process there is save some energy, pace yourself and get em’ in the next game…But damn, my brain won’t let me do this…I play every point like it’s my last point I’m ever gonna play in tennis forever. I play like this as I want to respect the game of tennis and my opponent. I feel “cheated” when my opponent “gives up” on a point no matter what the score. Am I completely talking out of school here? Should I back off when It seems hopeless I have any chance of winning? Would love to hear players thoughts .

God Bless.

SweetH2O
08-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Considering your background, you are probably in better shape than your average opponent, therefore less concerned about conserving energy over the course of the match. You also sound like you are very competitive in nature in general. Some people, especially at lower levels like I assume you are since you recently started playing, are out there for fun and exercise so they probably aren't as interested in fighting for every point like it's their last. I don't think it has anything to do with respect for the game or the opponent.

People are out there for their own reasons, which are neither better nor worse than your own. You have some attributes that will help you along as you progress. Maybe you will find people more like yourself as you move up levels.

Cindysphinx
08-29-2010, 06:25 AM
When I am serving down 40-love, I believe that I will win that game. And when I do, I love the idea of how my opponent is feeling like they let me wriggle off the hook.

The only adjustment I make in that situation is I will hit two second serves until I get to deuce. Having a DF when down break point is too much of a shock to my system to risk it.

Roadrunner
08-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Considering your background, you are probably in better shape than your average opponent, therefore less concerned about conserving energy over the course of the match. You also sound like you are very competitive in nature in general. Some people, especially at lower levels like I assume you are since you recently started playing, are out there for fun and exercise so they probably aren't as interested in fighting for every point like it's their last. I don't think it has anything to do with respect for the game or the opponent.

People are out there for their own reasons, which are neither better nor worse than your own. You have some attributes that will help you along as you progress. Maybe you will find people more like yourself as you move up levels.

Yes, I only play at 3.5 and yes I'm usually am in better shape then my opponant and yes, whatever sport I happen to be involved in I want to compete to the best of my ability. Thats just the way I was brought up. But when I win a match against an opponant who seems to have put in a less then maximum effort it just doesn't feel satisfying. I guess thats my own hang up. Thanks for your thoughts.

Roadrunner
08-29-2010, 06:50 AM
When I am serving down 40-love, I believe that I will win that game. And when I do, I love the idea of how my opponent is feeling like they let me wriggle off the hook.

The only adjustment I make in that situation is I will hit two second serves until I get to deuce. Having a DF when down break point is too much of a shock to my system to risk it.

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't care if I'm down a set and then down 5-1 in the second. I always feel I'm gonna come back and win. LOL...Of course I don't remember ever coming back and winning a match when I'm way way down. But I know I've come back a little to make it interesting..LOL After a recent loss my opponant gave me what I consider the ultimate complimant. "Damn your hard to put away, you play so hard" I told him I have to play that way to compete as right now I lack the "tennis talent" to just cruise through a match.

tennis tom
08-29-2010, 08:02 AM
You don't say how old you are. Enter Age Group Tournaments, or Open Tournaments and you will find the competition you are looking for. Playing at 3.5, by definition is mediocre; no offense to 3.5's, the dictionary definition of mediocre is average.

Kaz00
08-29-2010, 08:23 AM
I play every point like it's match point for my opponent I was down love-40 (8-9 in the 3rd) on my own serve brought it to deuce and fought my way out. The guy had like 5 match points that game I eventually lost 9-11 in the 3rd :P

nickarnold2000
08-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Yes, I only play at 3.5 and yes I'm usually am in better shape then my opponant and yes, whatever sport I happen to be involved in I want to compete to the best of my ability. Thats just the way I was brought up. But when I win a match against an opponant who seems to have put in a less then maximum effort it just doesn't feel satisfying. I guess thats my own hang up. Thanks for your thoughts.
I look at it like this: I honor my opponent by putting forth my best effort and hopefully he will honor me by doing the same thing too( a little corny perhaps?). Don't worry thou, as you improve you will run into tougher and tougher guys who'll give you their max effort every time.

dizzlmcwizzl
08-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Am I completely talking out of school here? Should I back off when It seems hopeless I have any chance of winning? Would love to hear players thoughts .

At the lower levels I have often seen a backwards attitude towards these situations when you are down big in a game or set.

In my mind when I am down, I dial it back a little. I play conservative tennis and force the opponent to make a good play to beat me. However, I often see recreational players decide that down 40-love is the right time to try the running forehand down the line or the backhand topspin lob. It is almost like they figure I am down, why not air it out. I could easily see this type of approach looking like a player giving up the point by trying to end things quickly.

polski
08-29-2010, 03:28 PM
I rarely tank a point down by that margin, but it would depend on the overall match situation.

For example, if I won the first set big & am up 5-2 in the second set but find myself returning & down love-40 I might not go for a ball that I normally would lunge for. Especially if I have been holding serve relatively easily. I'd rather just be ahead 5-3 & serve for the match since serving is my strength.

However, if I am getting destroyed I will play every point as hard as I can. Regardless of the match situation, I am going to make my opponent earn the win. To me, it is not in my nature to give up. Also, out of respect to my opponent I want to give them my best effort if they are going to beat me.

That's just a tactic I use. The only thing that matters in competition is winning and losing. If I can win, I normally don't care about the margin of victory.

Falloutjr
08-29-2010, 04:17 PM
I run down anything and everything, don't let one single ball go. In this game, making your opponent hit one more ball is sometimes the difference between winning and losing the point. It also sends the message to your opponent that nothing is going to be free. NOTHING. They will have to earn and take everything they get from me. I can play full speed all day, and do.

Roadrunner
08-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks all for the thoughts. I wish I had known how fun and enjoyable tennis is. I would have gotten into it years ago. I barely knew what tennis was until last year. Never even owned a racquet til' late 09' LOL I just thought tennis was something the country clubbers play. What a great game and having the time of my life learning and playing. I have my GF to thank for it. She's a 4.5 and when we met she asks "Do you play tennis?" And like any former jock who thinks they can still compete I say "Oh yeah, I play tennis"...hahaa The next day I went and got a racquet from the local pro shop...Needless to say she kicked my butt the first several times....But I catch on quick, I'm still for the most part getting by on just athleticism but damn....what a fun sport that I hope I can play for many many years.

SweetH2O
08-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I will admit that sometimes I will get frustrated at being down 0-40 if I've hit some bad shots in the game or something. Then I'll go for a big shot just to vent off the frustration. Some (most) of the time, it doesn't get me the point. But it clears my mind of the bad shots, and lets me mentally move on be ready for the next game.

I suppose in that case my opponent might see it as me tanking a point. But it is just my way of getting rid of the frustration, and getting ready to start playing better from then on. Sacrificing a point to be better mentally for the next few games in my own way I suppose.

Bedrock
08-31-2010, 11:06 AM
There is no reason to give up at any score 0-40 or 0-6. This source of behavior exhibited by your opponent is just a lack of experience playing in certain conditions. Your opponent is just inexperienced players, that all.

The feeling you have, in fact hides a danger for you. You do not have to feel any guilt for beating your opponent too easy. In tennis it happens time after time, that easy win turns into disastrous lose.

Mike2228
08-31-2010, 11:41 AM
too tenacious... ;-)

MNPlayer
08-31-2010, 12:12 PM
As others have said, as you play better players this will become less common.

One thing I noticed when I moved from 3.5 to 4.0 was mental toughness in general went up a lot. Much more rarely would I win the match on a nervous double fault or that kind of thing. Guys will play hard until the last point and 1) not give up and 2) not get as nervous when they are down, making it more likely they will come back on you if you get a little over confident. I'm sure the mental toughness continues improve at 4.5 and above as well.

Bedrock
08-31-2010, 02:09 PM
There is no score. There is only a game. Do not think about score, just remember it.

pyrokid
08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
I step up my aggression, I guess you could even call it using the game for practice.
Because even if I don't win it then I come out more confident in my strokes.
This usually works better than what I would have done anyway.

SuperLotto
08-31-2010, 05:11 PM
I think it's great that you are that competitive. You were raised as a "jock" and as such, you really know how to compete. That's great. I think you will have a leg up on the rest of them. Good luck!

Can a person learn to be more competitive or is that a trait that you have to learn as a child?

Roadrunner
09-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I think it's great that you are that competitive. You were raised as a "jock" and as such, you really know how to compete. That's great. I think you will have a leg up on the rest of them. Good luck!

Can a person learn to be more competitive or is that a trait that you have to learn as a child?

I don't know if it's a learned triat or not. I just figure if one is to compete seriously, in any sport, one should give 100%. It takes zero talent to hustle no matter what sport one plays. If I walk off the court or the field and did everything I can do to win but lost. I feel fine about it. I don't mind losing to a better team or player. I can't stand it if I lose and did not give 100%. Now I will always be polite to my opponant and give props to a great shot or serve or whatever. And after the match, win or lose I will always thank them for a great match. No need to be a jerk on the court.