PDA

View Full Version : Don't Be This Player!

tennis tom
08-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Played a doubles match yesterday against a player who always called out the score loud and clear before each point--which is a good thing! But, it was always phrased as a question, 40-15? for instance--that is, until the end of the match, which he and his partner won. Then he stated the score declaritively, no longer in the form of a question.

I've never experienced this before and found it interesting from a psychlogical standpoint. My partner kept saying "right" to be amiable. But while he was saying "right" our opponent was going into his motion.

I found this increasingly annoying and a distraction. Good tennis requires TOTAL focus. This is difficult to do when a question is hanging in the air, begging to be answered, just as you are TRYING to focus your concentrarion on a serve, that may be coming at 100 miles an hour at you.

It was interesting that when he was serving for the match, and he was confident 0f winning, he suddenly declared the score without the rhetorical question intonation and stated it with authority. Can't say it effectd the outcome of the match, from my end of it, because I didn't bother saying "right" all the time, but it may have effected my partner's conentration, since he would quietly answer "right" an instant before attempting his return. It's why they tell you not to chew gum and hit at the same time. When your jaws are moving, so are your eyes, throwing off your focus.

Don't be that player!

AR15
08-29-2010, 07:48 AM
How old was your opponent? It sounds like he was an 'up-talker' like so many young people who end almost every phrase they speak to where it sounds like a question.

Cindysphinx
08-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Ha! The things people let distract them. Come on, man. Just play.

I had a teammate who complained about something similar recently. It seems the opponent had adopted Maria Sharapova's service routine: tucking hair behind ears, a couple of little jumps, two deliberate bounces, a stare at the opponent. This, my teammate said, was annoying.

Huh? I don't notice anyone's service routine. I am focused on my service return routine. Am I standing in the probable angle of return? Do I have both hands on the grip so I am ready to change for FH or BH? Am I the right distance from the baseline? Where and how am I going to hit this return?

Why complicate matters by paying attention to the quirks of others when I have enough quirks of my own?

Bud
08-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Played a doubles match yesterday against a player who always called out the score loud and clear before each point--which is a good thing! But, it was always phrased as a question, 40-15? for instance--that is, until the end of the match, which he and his partner won. Then he stated the score declaritively, no longer in the form of a question.

I've never experienced this before and found it interesting from a psychlogical standpoint. My partner kept saying "right" to be amiable. But while he was saying "right" our opponent was going into his motion.

I found this increasingly annoying and a distraction. Good tennis requires TOTAL focus. This is difficult to do when a question is hanging in the air, begging to be answered, just as you are TRYING to focus your concentrarion on a serve, that may be coming at 100 miles an hour at you.

It was interesting that when he was serving for the match, and he was confident 0f winning, he suddenly declared the score without the rhetorical question intonation and stated it with authority. Can't say it effectd the outcome of the match, from my end of it, because I didn't bother saying "right" all the time, but it may have effected my partner's conentration, since he would quietly answer "right" an instant before attempting his return. It's why they tell you not to chew gum and hit at the same time. When your jaws are moving, so are your eyes, throwing off your focus.

Don't be that player!

Sounds like... you're more angry and annoyed that you lost and are now searching for a reason why :)

Were you expecting to win the match?

What was the score, BTW?

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Wow, some of the things that people on here complain about...

Mike2228
08-29-2010, 01:43 PM
was it brian griffins girlfriend by any chance?

tennis tom
08-29-2010, 03:57 PM
. Come on, man. Just play.

I did just PLAY! I didn't make an issue out of it. It didn't effect my play because I didn't reply to the rhetorical question, but, my partner was replying, just as he NEEDED to be concentrating.

Opponents were senior players not kids.

It was a very close hard fought match. We won the first set handily, they won the second in a tie-break. Third set 4-6. This distraction and annoyance could have well made the difference in the match.

I have no qualms about posting about this. There are many threads here involving topics and ocurrences on the courts just as obscure, trivial or seemingly frivolous. To those who think it's not worthy, hope you get to encounter the situation for a long three setter l and see how you feel.

Don't kinow who "brian griffins" girlfriend is, should I?

tennis tom
08-29-2010, 04:17 PM
deletred double post

decades
08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
don't answer him unless he announces the score wrong. people think every interaction requires a response. it doesn't. sit there and wait for him to serve the ball. he will start getting the hint.

Cindysphinx
08-29-2010, 04:39 PM

I don't mind your posting an interesting observation or story. It was unusual.

It's this bit from your original post that made the whole thing over the top. You noticed *and* found it annoying and distracting?

At some point, the problem isn't with the person doing the annoying and distracting thing. It's the person who is easily distracted by tiny little things. Maybe we should call it "Tennis ADD."

Sorry, but it is a sore spot with me. I just hate it when certain partners I have claim they missed their shot because of this or that "distraction." No, that wasn't why you missed your shot. You missed because you haven't yet learned how to concentrate and focus on the matter at hand.

tennis tom
08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I will repeat, I did not answer, but my partner did. I said it was distracting and annoying BUT I did not let it effect MY play, I played very well and could not have played better. I feel it was effecting my partners's play.

I will repeat, I did not make an issue out of it during the match. I am not making excuses for my play. If I have ADD then perhaps you have reading comprehension issues.

Cindysphinx
08-29-2010, 05:18 PM
OK, then your partner has Tennis ADD, if he let such a minor thing district him, annoy him and affect his play.

I wish I could find something to say to partners who come unhinged at minor things during a match. "Good lord, just deal with it and make your shots!!!" seems kinda harsh . . . .

slice bh compliment
08-29-2010, 05:24 PM
How old was your opponent? It sounds like he was an 'up-talker' like so many young people who end almost every phrase they speak to where it sounds like a question.

I love Australia and Aussies in general. But I have a feeling they started this up-talking thing.

Then teen girls over here started doing it.
This one time? At band camp? ...
Then teen boys. Then middle aged women. Now gay dudes. And straight dudes.

Now, it's gotten to the point that if someone speaks with conviction, he's seen as an overbearing alphamale.

So uhm like? back on topic? these people must be stopped, right?

Cindysphinx
08-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm trying to teach my teenager daughter to stop with the up-talking. It really undermines one's professional demeanor.

Can you imagine . . . "We're recommending that we perform a quadruple bypass with valve replacement and lung transplant on you, 'kay?"

tennis tom
08-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Now, it's gotten to the point that if someone speaks with conviction, he's seen as an overbearing alphamale.

So uhm like? back on topic? these people must be stopped, right?

Agreed, they must be stopped before their ambivalence and insecurity destroy the planet but I fear it's too late. Social Darwinism will have to run it's course.

From a psychological point of view, I found it interesting that as he was serving for the match and felt the match was in hand (and I felt it was theirs too) he stopped saying the score in the form of a question and started stating it declaritively with confidence. There can be a lot of emotional psychological turns in a tennis match as the momentum and scores switch back and forth.

tennis tom
08-29-2010, 06:38 PM
WOW, Sliced BH Comp, I didn't reliaze this was a linguistic phenomenon. I'd never heard of "up talikng" before, not too many juniors at my club. The situation I posted about involved seniors, believe it or not?

Here's an article about it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2001/sep/21/referenceandlanguages.mattseaton

Annika
08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm trying to teach my teenager daughter to stop with the up-talking. It really undermines one's professional demeanor.

Good for you Cindy. I'm sure neither of my kids are chatty when they're actually playing. They've seen us play and know better. :confused:

tennis tom
08-29-2010, 11:09 PM
If it's not OK to talk while the server is in his motion, then it shouldn't be OK fot the server to ask if it's the correct score, then serve without allowing his opponents to answer the question as they are trying to receive the serve.

bcart1991
08-30-2010, 04:50 AM
was it brian griffins girlfriend by any chance?

+rep to you.

slice bh compliment
08-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Agreed, they must be stopped before their ambivalence and insecurity destroy the planet but I fear it's too late.

You nailed it.

WOW, Sliced BH Comp, I didn't reliaze this was a linguistic phenomenon. ...http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2001/sep/21/referenceandlanguages.mattseaton

Tom,
Thanks for posting that article.
That was great. I'm going to share that, for sure.

tennis tom
08-30-2010, 09:55 AM
You nailed it.

Tom,
Thanks for posting that article.
That was great. I'm going to share that, for sure.

Your welcome,
cheers

tennis tom
08-30-2010, 10:03 AM
+rep to you.

Well there's another one I don't get along with "Brian Griffin's girlfriend". maybe I need to watch more of the "Family Guy Show".

I'm starting to think the Al Gore's Internet is fast becoming the modern day Tower of Babel.

Xisbum
08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
I've heard it said you should answer a drop shot with a drop shot, so every now and again have your partner answer the implied question with "Isn't it 15-40?" before the other guy finishes his service motion.

No reason you guys should be only ones distracted, right?

Bedrock
08-30-2010, 10:36 AM

Don't be that player!

Simple solution.
If you disturbed by something just raise your hand to show you need time to prepare. You will see how quickly this will change the way your opponent announcing the score.

onehandbh
08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
^^^
You could try that. Raise your hand. Think for a few seconds and
then lower your hand and reply, "right-o!"

We all can get distracted at times. I sometimes watch the
rallies on the court next to mine if it's a good point.
I'd also be distracted if it started raining and Halle Berry was
playing with Kim Kardashian on the next court over, but that's
Adult League and Tournament Talk...

thejuice
08-30-2010, 07:48 PM
We all can get distracted at times. I sometimes watch the
rallies on the court next to mine if it's a good point.
I'd also be distracted if it started raining and Halle Berry was
playing with Kim Kardashian on the next court over, but that's
Adult League and Tournament Talk...

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!! I wanna be playing you when that happens!!! :)

tennis tom
08-30-2010, 08:21 PM
^^^
You could try that. Raise your hand. Think for a few seconds and
then lower your hand and reply, "right-o!".

Simple solution.
If you disturbed by something just raise your hand to show you need time to prepare. You will see how quickly this will change the way your opponent announcing the score.

I've heard it said you should answer a drop shot with a drop shot, so every now and again have your partner answer the implied question with "Isn't it 15-40?" before the other guy finishes his service motion.

Those are all good ideas mates, I'll use 'em on this guy next time. I actually like this guy, and he's fun to play against. It was subtle but the intonation was definitely there, until almost the end, when it changed. I think this is what's called passive/aggressive behavior???? (OH MY GAWD! NOW HE'S GOT ME TALKING IN QUESTIONS).

gameboy
08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Good grief, now you have to watch your voice inflection during the match... Where does it stop? Is there particular color shirt that distracts you and annoys you when opponents wear it?

Some of you guys think every match/point is a psychological warfare, when in 99% of the cases, your opponent couldn't care less.

tennis tom
08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Good grief, now you have to watch your voice inflection during the match... Where does it stop? Is there particular color shirt that distracts you and annoys you when opponents wear it?

Gameboy, you're arriving a little late to this party aren't you? . You may want to read the original post, so you know what the topic is, don't you think? --actually don't bother, it may be a bit esoteric, huh? Like the book says, if I reall, tennis is a game/sport played on many levels, don't you agree?

Actually you bring up a good point about shirt colors, I think? At one time it was against the rules to wear solid yellow clothing because it camoflauged the ball, if I'm not wrong? It seems this rule has gone by the wayside, since there is so much yellow being worn today, or maybe it's my imagination?

slice bh compliment
08-31-2010, 08:17 PM

Some of you guys?
think every match/point is a psychological warfare?
when in 99% of the cases?
your opponent couldn't care less?

^Fixed your post for you.^

Kidding around, gameboy. All in good fun. Nothing personal.

Tennisguy3000
08-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Lots of things used to annoy me, until I realized that my opponents recognized my annoyance and used it against me. For example, I have a friend who always calls "game!" triumphantly after she wins (not a peep of course, if I win the game). Another person I play with calls out the score loudly after every point, in fact after every serve, even if I'm serving - like, "second serve, 15 - 40!" Whatever, I just call out the score anyway, as I usually do before I serve. You can't let these distractions get to you, it will eventually drive you mad.... And there's enough madness on the court as it is. Just focus on your own game and don't listen to your opponent at all.

Likes this /\

I have to be careful not to get annoyed/distracted too easily in tennis... the same goes for most things in life. I find I can feed off of it when I am in the right mind space ;-)

But yeah... if they are talking at all during the service motion :evil:

slice bh compliment
09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Man, funny thread.
Shouting 'Game!" when they win a game?
There sure are some serious dorks playin' tennis. I'm happy with my cirlce of players. All cool, all compeitive. All civil. All sane for the most part. I'm probably the least normal one....and I'm pretty orthodox.

levy1
09-02-2010, 06:59 AM
You guys need to read Gilberts "Winning Dirty" and get some free points!

ttbrowne
09-08-2010, 08:15 AM
I did just PLAY! I didn't make an issue out of it. It didn't effect my play because I didn't reply to the rhetorical question, but, my partner was replying, just as he NEEDED to be concentrating.

Opponents were senior players not kids.

It was a very close hard fought match. We won the first set handily, they won the second in a tie-break. Third set 4-6. This distraction and annoyance could have well made the difference in the match.

I have no qualms about posting about this. There are many threads here involving topics and ocurrences on the courts just as obscure, trivial or seemingly frivolous. To those who think it's not worthy, hope you get to encounter the situation for a long three setter l and see how you feel.

Don't kinow who "brian griffins" girlfriend is, should I?

So just hold a hand up as he's serving and stop play. "Beg pardon, You asked me what the score was and I answered you at the same time you served. It's 40-15. First serve." Keep doing this until he gets the message. It's that simple.