PDA

View Full Version : good combination with luxilon rough?

serve stopper
08-29-2010, 08:04 AM
I use luxilon rough in the mains and i was wondering if anyone had any good string combinations that go with rough in the crosses

sixone90
08-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Tecnifibre X One BiPhase 16

Babolat VS

JoelDali
08-29-2010, 09:07 AM

Babolat VS

Listen this man.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nvjvKkd-RB4/R7IFdmJ5MsI/AAAAAAAABxI/M5N0QENWHn8/s400/truth.gif

THESEXPISTOL
08-29-2010, 09:27 AM

Babolat VS

These suggestions are TOP NOTCH!
But.. If you don't want to spend a lot of money go for Tecnifibre Multifeel for crosses and if you want to go really cheap try:

Gosen Micro 17 in crosses for crips/firm stringbed
or
Forten Sweet if you want a softer/pocketing feel.

But remember.. You only get what you pay for, so if you can go for Babolat VS. But if i were you would go for Babolat VS mains and LUX BB ALU crosses.

bfactor61
08-29-2010, 12:28 PM
gosen sheep micro

baba123
08-29-2010, 12:56 PM
wilson natural gut

[d]ragon
08-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Depends what are you looking to gain from a different cross

federalprassi
08-29-2010, 01:43 PM
natural gut is great but the price is not. Gosen sheep micro is good string for the price and most people will agree its worth the money.

parasailing
08-29-2010, 01:53 PM
natural gut is great but the price is not. Gosen sheep micro is good string for the price and most people will agree its worth the money.

For price, nothing beats Gosen but if it you got arm issues, stick with natural gut.

Fedace
08-29-2010, 02:01 PM

Babolat VS

Normally i would agree, i use X-1 myself but in case of Luxilon rough which is very Stiff and pretty powerful string, i would go with something that is Softer like NRG2 or Xcel premium. That will give you better pocketing effect to increase more control.

ClubHoUno
08-29-2010, 02:11 PM
If you can afford it, go with:

Alu Rough - VS Team 17

If you want to spend a little bit less, go with:

Alu Rough - X-One Natural 17

If you're on a budget, try:

Alu Rough - Multifeel

Pretty much sums up, what the other posters have posted before me, but they are spot on !

I just ordered 2 reels of Alu Rough, and also use VS Team nat gut and on occasion X-one 17

GameSetMatch
08-29-2010, 02:37 PM
I honestly don't know who actually uses Alu/VS hybrids on regular basis. Alu goes dead within a matter of hours.

If I were to use that combination, I'd be restringing every few days at enormous cost and having to throw away perfectly good gut every time. Why would you want to spend so much money on such a string combination when there are so many other great performing polys out there? You just never see players playing with Alu/VS in the sub 5.5 competive tournaments.

Alu/VS is really for Roger Federer, or Federer groupies with their Federer bandanas and sneakers, who just want to imitate their hero.

Fedace
08-29-2010, 02:41 PM
I honestly don't know who actually uses Alu/VS hybrids on regular basis. Alu goes dead within a matter of hours.

If I were to use that combination, I'd be restringing every few days at enormous cost and having to throw away perfectly good gut every time. Why would you want to spend so much money on such a string combination when there are so many other great performing polys out there? You just never see players playing with Alu/VS in the sub 5.5 competive tournaments.

Alu/VS is really for Roger Federer, or Federer groupies with their Federer bandanas and sneakers, who just want to imitate their hero.

i agree, that is why i can never hybrid the Lux with Natural gut. I would be cutting out the gut every 6-8 hours or so and that is really expensive even for me.

ClubHoUno
08-29-2010, 04:02 PM
i agree, that is why i can never hybrid the Lux with Natural gut. I would be cutting out the gut every 6-8 hours or so and that is really expensive even for me.

I get 8-10 good hours out of my VS Team mains and Alu Power Rough crosses hybrid.
After that it breaks - sometimes after only 6 hours, when I use the Pure Drive.

If I can see the gut is fraygin a lot, I install 10-12 Elastocross string savers in the fragile spots, which makes it last 2-3 hours more then.

It's not cheap, but quality cost :lol:

I play twice a week, and restring 2 of my racquets every 3-4 weeks.

I have GameSetMatch on my ignore lsit, so can only read his comments, when he's quoted, and in this case you, fedace, quoted him.

My local stringer strings for 3 retired Atp tour pros, who all use VS natty gut mains and Alu Power (or rough) crosses - and they get probably 6-10 hours out of their string before they break them or cut them out, so once again the remark from GamSetMatch is simply not correct.

On top of that, one of the local top players, who is probably a 5.5-6.0 player, he plays with the same set of old Big Banger Original for 10-12 hours with no probalem and he does not feel any loss of control. I've talked to him, and the string is just fine after 10 hours for him. I told him most better players feel the string is gone and dead after 5-6 hours, but he just tells me, that he likes it until it breaks, which is usually after 10-12 hours from him.

He plays a flat, aggresive all court game.

Fedace
08-29-2010, 04:08 PM
^^Is this retired pro Thomas Muster ??????
on clay it would only last about 4 hours for me. i have nadal like topspin.

serve stopper
08-29-2010, 05:15 PM
anyone try it with solinco tour bite 16

TennisNinja
08-29-2010, 06:17 PM
These suggestions are TOP NOTCH!
But.. If you don't want to spend a lot of money go for Tecnifibre Multifeel for crosses and if you want to go really cheap try:

Gosen Micro 17 in crosses for crips/firm stringbed
or
Forten Sweet if you want a softer/pocketing feel.

But remember.. You only get what you pay for, so if you can go for Babolat VS. But if i were you would go for Babolat VS mains and LUX BB ALU crosses.

Definitely agree with the Multifeel. Especially since Rough will saw through the crosses it's good to keep costs down a bit.

GameSetMatch
08-29-2010, 10:11 PM

Thomas Muster lives in Austria, so no.

And why would a former pro be knocking around with a 3.0 and having conversations with him about strings?

If you've noticed, he's now edited his post.

Nobody gets 12 hours out of Alu. Nobody apart from noob players with weak arms who don't actally hit the ball.

You believe too much too readily.

ClubHoUno
08-30-2010, 01:00 PM
on clay it would only last about 4 hours for me. i have nadal like topspin.

No it's not Thomas Muster :lol:

This guy plays very flat with an old Prestige Mid 18X20.

I talked to the guy, because he confronted me, when he saw me playing.

Reason I know about the retired Atp tour pros setup, is because my stringer has a big mouth :D

NLBwell
08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Alpha Gut 2000 is very soft and gives good power as a cross with Lux Rough. It isn't real durable, but it will last until the lux goes dead - so if you string when the poly goes dead it isn't costing you any string lifetime. It is cheap but plays very well.

kiteboard
08-30-2010, 09:43 PM
vs team 17g. Restring crosses before they break, by locking down stick in stringer, cut out crosses, and restring the crosses only, making the mains last way longer. Try it once and see if I'm not right.

ClubHoUno
08-31-2010, 03:11 AM
vs team 17g. Restring crosses before they break, by locking down stick in stringer, cut out crosses, and restring the crosses only, making the mains last way longer. Try it once and see if I'm not right.

Hey Kiteboard,

could you please tell the wise troll guy, GameSetMatch, that VS nat gut/Poly hybrid is used by several good club players around the world.

He seems to think that only Tour players and Fed wanabees use this combo, which I know for a fact is not true :shock: