PDA

View Full Version : WISE tension head - is it durable

cantaloupe
04-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Hi,

a question about the wise tension head; how durable is it? How many rackets can it do before it breaks down? If i was stringing 50 frames a day on it, will it last 1 year, 5 years, 20 years?

I'm concerned because from the videos of it on their website, the tension head is very noisy, and sounds like it it straining a lot when it pulls, more so than the SP DG and babolat machines..

thanks in advance

brtennis
04-18-2004, 05:49 PM
hmmm. this is a good question. I have one on order and would like to hear from those who own it for a while.

Deuce
04-18-2004, 10:26 PM
If you were stringing 50 frames a day, YOU wouldn't last three days, never mind the tension head.

cantaloupe
04-18-2004, 11:24 PM
that's why i would put it in the shop, where there's something called shifts, I do 25 rackets in my shift, and the next guy does 25 rackets in his shift and so on.......

Deuce
04-19-2004, 01:29 AM
You did write "if i was stringing 50 frames a day..."

At an average time of 30 minutes per frame, 50 frames would take 25 hours. What are the opening hours of your shop? And what orbit is it in?

David Pavlich
04-19-2004, 12:29 PM
You did write "if i was stringing 50 frames a day..."

At an average time of 30 minutes per frame, 50 frames would take 25 hours. What are the opening hours of your shop? And what orbit is it in?

Deuce: Good stuff!

I've read many posts here describing 10-12 minute times for most racquets. I wonder how good the inspection regimen is. I know tournament stringers can do 25 a day (15-18 hour days), but there are people that are cutting out strings, checking grommets, stencilling, etc. The stringers are just stringing.

David

Steve Huff
04-19-2004, 01:07 PM
25/day. My fingers would be so sore, I wouldn't be able to string the 2nd day.

On the subject though, I have a Wise tension head. You are right about them being noisy. The case they're enclosed in is big enough to house a motor that's just as big as the motors on any other machine, so skimping on power for a smaller size shouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure how big the motor is compared with say a Sensor. I've had mine since December with no problems yet though, but I don't do nearly that many rackets.

cantaloupe
04-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Deuce:

Ok maybe string 50 rackets a day is stretching it a bit try 35, which can be done if one person strings 20 mins a racket continuously for 8 hours, and then the guy in the nightshift strings for another 4 hours.

David,
A the canadian open when the mens come, the stringers start at 6 am and finish at 1 am on the first few days, they do an average of 35-45 rackets a day.

Personally I can consistently string rackets under 20 mins, that includes taking old strings out, picking out the correct string, stringing it, and sigining the label on the racket. Usually there arent that many rackets to string, but on a few days last year i strung 27 -28 rackets in 9 hours, and that included taking breaks in between.

I'm here simply asking about the durability of a wise tension head, no to argue with people about stringing speed. I know how fast I can string, and so i want to know if the machine can keep up with the heavy duty usage.

Anyone who has actually used a wise tension head, and care to speak about the durability?

Gaines Hillix
04-19-2004, 02:31 PM
cantaloupe, I've had a Wise tension head on my Alpha machine for about a year and a half. I've done a couple hundred racquets on it with zero problems. It is noisier than many electric machines, but it's not loud, IMO. However if you are looking for a machine to use in a store environment or where any noise might be a distraction, I wouldn't do the Wise unit. However, you can buy about 10 of these for the price of one Bab Sensor and they have their share of problems too. Give Herb Wise a call and tell him what kind of situatoin it would be used in and I believe he'll be straight with you.

RacquetDoctor
04-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Averaging 3 racquets an hour over 9 hours is just huge. I've done a number of tournaments, and I don't average that including breaks....

I usually do between 25 and 28 over a 12 to 14 hour day. That is taking breaks to eat, and stretch, working involves removing strings, tubing/replacing beat up grommets and stenciling the racquet...Most I've done in a day is 31...don't want to do it again.

I'm ragged out at the end of the day. It's not something that I would want to do week in and week out...

blackburne
04-20-2004, 07:06 AM
This guy in Atlanta did like 99 racquets in 24 hours. It was part of a store promotion, I believe the store was Serious or True Tennis, his name was Lorne Cragg, it was featured in USRSA's Racquettech a couple of years ago. Pretty crazy :|

Lorne
09-15-2005, 06:30 AM
Hello Gentlemen,
I, unfortunately, do not have an opinion on the tension head you are speaking about, but I did want to take this oppurtunity to clear something up. My name is Lorne Cragg, I used to live in Atlanta until a few months ago, and the current record for professionaly strung frames in a 24 hour period is 106. I know because I'm the stringing fool responsible. I did this stunt 4 times, starting at 103 in 1999. I am a certified USRSA stringer (back when that was as high as the test went) and I worked for Jay's Custom Stringing for 2 years before I started freelancing with Babolat at the Olympics and for Jay from time to time.
The guidelines are as follows:
Frames are customer frames, with the strings already cut out. I use whatever string they choose, at whatever tension they choose, stringing in 1 and 2 piece patterns where called for. I use leather pads, I pull one string at a time, I straighten as I go, and label when I'm done. No frame is counted that would not be given to one of my customers (mistakes have been made at 4 am!). I simply do not eat sleep or go to the bathroom for 24 hrs.
I realize this is off the topic, but I felt the need to set the record straight. I invite anyone to beat it if they can, I would love the competition.
Tournament stringers at the US Open, Key Biscayne and the like usually string 25 to 35 a day, as one member here commented. I have been called upon to go quite a bit past that, over 50. Frankly, I kind miss it. Any questions that anyone has, I would like to answer, feel free to contact me at LHCragg@aol.com. Good luck with the tension head.

Gaines Hillix
09-15-2005, 12:24 PM
I've had my Wise head for another year and 1/2 now and still only one minor problem that I easily fixed myself. Over 500 racquets done on it so far.

dancraig
09-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Lorne: Welcome Aboard!

theace21
09-15-2005, 03:08 PM
I have had my Wise since March, and he has not miss a beat. Probably close to a hundred rackets strung. Very happy with the product.

PAPPY999
09-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I strung about 90-100 frames on it before sending it back to Herb for repairs. It was registering an error "8". Herb said it was a fluke. I hope he is right. I have not received it back yet. Hopefully it works without a hitch. I've had the machine for less than a month. I am thinking about bringing these into my shop(it is on my home stringer now) but if this one does not work right after 100 frames, it could never stand up to running off 25 frames/day at my store.

Steve Huff
09-25-2005, 08:21 PM
I've done approximately 700 rackets on mine now, and it still works fine. Occasionally it strains (or sounds like it's straining) when you have a really stretchy, elastic string. But, I have never had an "error" message, and the only problem I ever had was once, I couldn't get the tension to change. I shut it off, restarted it, and it was fine. That was about 200 rackets ago.

jdcal
09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
I have my 2086 since 02/2000. So far 2000 tennis rackets strung.
Ten months after purchase and 300 rackets strung, the machine started showing error "5", maybe "8" (I don't remind) when I try to turn on. I send it back for maintence, during the warranty time, and came back just fine, but a little bit loose at the begining of pulling.
On 07/2003 the engine rotated but the linear grip did not worked (did not pull the string) and I decided to open the machine. The screws that fix together one that joins the axle of the motor to the helical axle had been loosened. I screw them back and the machine started working again. Three months later the same problem. I decided to apply a screw adhesive for medium tension to the screws and until now I have not had any problem.
In the beginning of this year an error "1" starting show as soon I started the machine. After a couple of attempts the machine started working again. Since them, once a while, the problem comes back.
Another thing: on speed "1", the machine can not pull the tension above 57lb. Since I only use that speed when I turn off the
"constant pull" I have been able to work with this problem.
The first chance I have I will send the machine back to the US for maintence.

equinox
03-29-2010, 06:50 AM
I'm looking for feedback on durability of currently selling wise tension head?

rasajadad
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
I've had mine for over a year and have done approximately 300 racquets on it. So far the only issue I had was to clean and lubricate the roller bearings behind the string gripper jaws. I did this myself after getting Herb's instructions on how to do it and what products to use.

Lakers4Life
03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
I've had my Wise 2086 for about 6 months now. I started with about 5-10 rackets a week, and now I'm to 20. Other than my fingers getting tired, it's one tough machine.

It's a solid aircraft quality aluminum body with a semi cheap plastic cover with a panel to boot. But other than that it has not broken down yet, but I'm sure to report it if does break down.

Virtua Tennis
03-31-2010, 12:48 AM
Hi,

a question about the wise tension head; how durable is it? How many rackets can it do before it breaks down? If i was stringing 50 frames a day on it, will it last 1 year, 5 years, 20 years?

I'm concerned because from the videos of it on their website, the tension head is very noisy, and sounds like it it straining a lot when it pulls, more so than the SP DG and babolat machines..

thanks in advance

If your going to string that much why not invest in a real workhorse of a machine, instead of a Wise.

Lakers4Life
03-31-2010, 04:42 PM
50 rackets in one day but it's not every day. Unless you are string racket for 5 Pros on a daily basis during a Tournament. That's sounds like Priority One, which use a Babolat Star 4.

At the major tournaments and some minor, sponsors provide a Stringing room complete with machines for the players.

As for the Wise being loud or noisy, my was telling me she could hear when I'm stringing from the downstairs when I had my crank. After getting my Wise, she said she does not hear it as much.

Ken Sachar
04-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Cantaloupe

I've had a wise for about 5 years and 350 stringing jobs. Just had a load cell and limit switch fail. For me that's not too big a deal, but if I was a high volume stringer, I would not be too happy.

Ken

dgdawg
04-01-2010, 08:39 AM
I 2nd (or 3rd) the comment that if you're cranking out this kind of volume, you would be better served with getting a "work horse"

Steve Huff
04-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm on my 2nd Wise. The oldest one is my backup now. I've strung around 2500 on my newer one and its still going strong. The oldest one strained and I had to send it back after about 1100 rackets. I got it back, and the string gripper snapped off on the 2nd racket. I sent it back and the gripper was upgraded to the newer one. That's when I got the 2nd machine. It has held up fine.

equinox
04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the comments. Been procrastinating about purchasing an alpha revo + wise for the last year.

Is the warranty period still 2 years? Is it possible to extend the it another 2 years?

Teyko
04-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I have a Revo with a Wise Tension head and it works great. I was an ex-college stringer and from the multiple stringers I worked with I find it to be quite durable next to other larger more expensive models.

dgdawg
04-06-2010, 04:49 AM
I owned 2 of them. The first one sliced poly's and herb replaced it.(big drama) The 2nd I got a year later from TW. It was flawless. The only thing was, it really struggled w/ "O" frames. The 2086 made weird noise's and jumped around when pulling X's from the side of O frames. I custom mounted it on an Alpha Equinox I built with orig parts. It was an awesome combo. I thought it would be my last until a Star 5 fell into my lap. You can't go wrong w/a wise with the right machine. 50 frames a day is pretty high volume, tho. Good luck.

000KFACTOR90000
04-11-2010, 12:59 AM
herb still hasn't updated that video !!! :)

That was the first generation wise - the new ones are quiet.

Lakers4Life
04-11-2010, 01:08 AM
I just had a chilling thought...If Herb Wise dies we are all screwed. It's basically a one man operation. All service is done at his house in Brentwood.

Dags
04-11-2010, 03:44 AM
I just had a chilling thought...If Herb Wise dies we are all screwed. It's basically a one man operation. All service is done at his house in Brentwood.

A UK reseller states this on their website:

We can now undertake in-house servicing and electronic calibration for these tension heads at our offices in Hawkhurst

So the secret has been shared!

dgdawg
04-11-2010, 08:03 AM

Ha ha.....that's funny man, but true. Better buy a few more as back up!!!
I bet Tennis Machines would handle them. The 2086 is really the first Prince electronic tensioner. As I understand it; Herb was an engineer for Ektelon when they were bought by Prince. He got ****ed, left Prince and developed the 2086 as a stand alone unit. This info came from a longtime Prince guy who was there when Herb was.

Lakers4Life
04-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Herb probably has techs that work on the machines, but it almost be the end of the 2086 Pro. We'll never know until it actually happens.

Technatic
04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
It is obvious that the Wise unit fills a niche in the market, it is also sold in Europe now.
So when Herb stops working there will probably be a company that takes over the production or/ and sales.

And besides not only individuals die:
What if GM had died?

Ambivalent
04-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Deuce:

Ok maybe string 50 rackets a day is stretching it a bit try 35, which can be done if one person strings 20 mins a racket continuously for 8 hours, and then the guy in the nightshift strings for another 4 hours.

David,
A the canadian open when the mens come, the stringers start at 6 am and finish at 1 am on the first few days, they do an average of 35-45 rackets a day.

Personally I can consistently string rackets under 20 mins, that includes taking old strings out, picking out the correct string, stringing it, and sigining the label on the racket. Usually there arent that many rackets to string, but on a few days last year i strung 27 -28 rackets in 9 hours, and that included taking breaks in between.

I'm here simply asking about the durability of a wise tension head, no to argue with people about stringing speed. I know how fast I can string, and so i want to know if the machine can keep up with the heavy duty usage.

Anyone who has actually used a wise tension head, and care to speak about the durability?

19 hour workdays? That's ridiculous.

dgdawg
04-13-2010, 04:38 AM
I think it would probably handle it, but I don't think anyone knows for how long. It's pretty slow so your volume could decrease a little.

David123
04-13-2010, 07:20 AM
how slow is the wise?

Teyko
04-13-2010, 07:29 AM
how slow is the wise?

Its not slow at all...I could post a video if need be...

dgdawg
04-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Its not slow at all...I could post a video if need be...

Well....I've owned two of them and thought they were slower than my DG and Star 5. Both machines were mounted to a Comet 11 and one was on an Alpha Equinox I built. This is just my opinion, though and I suppose their could have been other factors cutting down on time. Especially with the Star 5.