PDA

View Full Version : Poly/gut hybrid strings and setup recommendations?

tfm
08-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi -- I am female, play 4.0, both singles and doubles, and play 3-4 times a week. Currently I use 17g natural gut in both mains and crosses, and I string in the mid-point or a pound below the mid-point of the recommended tension range.

I hit with some topspin but would like to increase spin potential (without sacrificing power, if possible), so I am considering some sort of poly/gut hybrid stringing. I have not used a poly before, but I am concerned about it being "dead" in feeling and/or being too hard on the arm. So first, are there polys out there that have decent feel and are ok for the arm but still increase spin and don't take away too much power?

And if so, what would be suggestions for a poly/17g gut hybrid string job -- i.e., which string in the mains, which in the crosses, what tension adjustments should I make, etc?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Gasolina
08-29-2010, 12:12 PM
As proven by the TWU, the gut mains/poly crosses combo yields the most spin per the lab. Though it's not a sure thing, it's a good starting point. I myself have tried a gut main/flouro cross hybrid and found it very good for spin.

Try a hybrid with any soft poly. Any will do. If you want to maintain the power of the nat gut, then you'd have to be careful with your tension.

sidzej
08-29-2010, 12:40 PM
I can recommend you nat gut in mains and co-poly in crosses. I use Babolat gut in mains (Tonic or VS) and WC Silvestring in crosses. If you keep gut in mains, you still get an excellent comfort, touch and feel.
Tension is difficult to recommend, but I normally drop it up to 4 lbs compared to full bed of gut.

ClubHoUno
08-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah as said above - try VS Natural gut in the mains and then do a poly in the crosses.

A good poly could be Alu Power, Silverstring or Blackcode.

grover
08-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I would suggest trying a full bed of a soft poly first if spin is what you are looking for. You will know quickly if your arm can handle the stress of poly or not and I promise you will get more spin with a full bed of poly than either a poly/gut hybrid or multi/gut hybrid.

I've never liked poly/gut hybrids because one always ends up cutting perfectly good (expensive) gut out of the racket before it breaks. The problem is the poly loses its tension long before the gut breaks and to me it seems like such a waste of money. I would try a high quality multi with poly before I tried the gut/poly combination and you might get exactly what your looking for without wasting perfectly good gut and money.

mctennis
09-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I have used gut mains and TiMO crosses for a number of years now. I have used a full gut string bed also. In fact I keep three racquets with me when I play. Usually one with a full gut string bed, two with the gut mains and TiMO crosses. I like the extra cupping feel I get with the TMO crosses. I've tried other hybrid combinations but for me the TiMO crosses seems to feel and play the best. I hope this helps.
I'm glad you like using gut.

ClubHoUno
09-03-2010, 04:59 AM
I have used gut mains and TiMO crosses for a number of years now. I have used a full gut string bed also. In fact I keep three racquets with me when I play. Usually one with a full gut string bed, two with the gut mains and TiMO crosses. I like the extra cupping feel I get with the TMO crosses. I've tried other hybrid combinations but for me the TiMO crosses seems to feel and play the best. I hope this helps.
I'm glad you like using gut.

How many hours does this hybrid last for you ?

Have you tried replacing TIMO withg Alu and Alu Rough ?

kenyee
09-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm curious how long the poly lasts as well. I've run gut for years (play once a week or so)...