PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Im obviously not very good at choosing strings

Falloutjr
08-29-2010, 01:27 PM
So maybe you guys could help me a bit. I'm a counterpuncher, who is spin-oriented and looks for the high-percentage chance to switch from defense to offense by hitting a well-placed shot then win at the net, so I need a string that has good spin, feel, and touch. Cost isn't REALLY a concern, but seeing as I have to pay stringer's fees, I would prefer not to go over $20. I get my racquets redone almost habitually every 2 weeks or so, so durability isn't of great concern, and prefer thin gauge strings. And as a side note, I'd prefer poly/multi hybrid (gut if it won't run me a fortune) and strings that won't move a lot on me, that irks me (In my current bed, Gosen Sheep Micro/Pro hurricane, the Gosen moves way too much, so only poly in the mains only).

COPEY
08-30-2010, 03:24 AM
"...but seeing as I have to pay stringer's fees, I would prefer not to go over $20. I get my racquets redone almost habitually every 2 weeks or so..."

One man's Holy Grail is sometimes another man's garbage. Additionally, string charateristics will vary from racquet to racquet, hence experimentation is the key. With so many options out there with respect to strings, my best recommendation is that you buy a stringer. At $20 a racquet your search could get really expensive.

Stringing is just too easy, and you can't beat the convenience and cost savings compared to paying someone to do it. I'm not sure if you're getting yours done retail or if you have a friend/local home stringer doing it. If it's the latter, and labor is dirt cheap, I suppose it may be worth it to you stay the course and not be bothered with stringing your own sticks. But if you're paying $15+ for labor, the combination of searching for new strings combined with switching them out every 2-weeks will add up quick.

But hey, if money is no object to ya...ignore this post. :-)

Mr_Shiver
08-30-2010, 02:26 PM
So maybe you guys could help me a bit. I'm a counterpuncher, who is spin-oriented and looks for the high-percentage chance to switch from defense to offense by hitting a well-placed shot then win at the net, so I need a string that has good spin, feel, and touch. Cost isn't REALLY a concern, but seeing as I have to pay stringer's fees, I would prefer not to go over $20. I get my racquets redone almost habitually every 2 weeks or so, so durability isn't of great concern, and prefer thin gauge strings. And as a side note, I'd prefer poly/multi hybrid (gut if it won't run me a fortune) and strings that won't move a lot on me, that irks me (In my current bed, Gosen Sheep Micro/Pro hurricane, the Gosen moves way too much, so only poly in the mains only).

What racquet do you currently use and what tensions do you currently have your set-up at?

Falloutjr
08-30-2010, 07:27 PM
What racquet do you currently use and what tensions do you currently have your set-up at?

Gosen OG Sheep Micro 18g @ 48/Babolat Pro Hurricane 18g @ 45. Just doesn't have the feel I would like. For some reason, I got better feel and ball pocketing out of a full bed of Pro Hurricane, but it was too low-powered and not spin friendly enough.

airman88
08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
I am definitely not the most qualified (used to be but stopped playing for a few years). It doesn't sound to me like a poly is even warranted for your game. Maybe you would be better off putting a poly in the cross for spin and using a good synthetic on the mains for feel and power. All polys will be low-powered and you thought it was strung at 45 lbs, so maybe just nix it.

kiteboard
08-30-2010, 09:38 PM
tour bite/vanquish.

Falloutjr
08-31-2010, 02:47 AM
I am definitely not the most qualified (used to be but stopped playing for a few years). It doesn't sound to me like a poly is even warranted for your game. Maybe you would be better off putting a poly in the cross for spin and using a good synthetic on the mains for feel and power. All polys will be low-powered and you thought it was strung at 45 lbs, so maybe just nix it.

That's what I'm doing now. Even with the Gosen in the mains, they're about to break, and I've only gotten about 8 hours out of them. Plus, I hit with lots of spin off of both sides, and the strings move so much it's very frustrating.

airman88
08-31-2010, 02:55 AM
That is why you could play a poly in the cross to help with that a little, which you seem to be doing now. Also look at some of the other durable synthetics. I think there is Gamma Marathon or Wilson Stamina, and some others. I would stay away from kevlar. I guess the step after that would be to start with the most feel oriented poly. If you like babolat, there is the new rpm blast maybe or many others recommended on this site.

Falloutjr
08-31-2010, 05:10 AM
That is why you could play a poly in the cross to help with that a little, which you seem to be doing now. Also look at some of the other durable synthetics. I think there is Gamma Marathon or Wilson Stamina, and some others. I would stay away from kevlar. I guess the step after that would be to start with the most feel oriented poly. If you like babolat, there is the new rpm blast maybe or many others recommended on this site.

I've played with RPM Blast main/multi cross hybrid before, I liked it, but RPM isn't worth 17 a set. Looking at Volkl Cyclone as a possibility atm. I know it's hard to find a good setup for me just because I play with so much variety; I basically throw the kitchen sink at people til I find something that works :P

Falloutjr
08-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Also, I use an APDGT leaded up to 13oz

Mr_Shiver
08-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Something sounds funny here. The APDGT is a pretty powerful racquet and with your set up there should be plenty of pop. Have you considered that your racquet speed is lacking? Your racquet could be a bit heavy for you. String wise have you tried Tour Bite? I string my APDC with a full bed at 60lbs and the power is plentiful. I might go tighter just to cool it down a little more. You can't beat BB Alu either. As for synthetics go, a friend of mine is in love with Technifibre Biphase or whatever it is. I haven't used anything but poly or gut for a long time so I am useless in the syn area.

Falloutjr
08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Something sounds funny here. The APDGT is a pretty powerful racquet and with your set up there should be plenty of pop. Have you considered that your racquet speed is lacking? Your racquet could be a bit heavy for you. String wise have you tried Tour Bite? I string my APDC with a full bed at 60lbs and the power is plentiful. I might go tighter just to cool it down a little more. You can't beat BB Alu either. As for synthetics go, a friend of mine is in love with Technifibre Biphase or whatever it is. I haven't used anything but poly or gut for a long time so I am useless in the syn area.

Actually my racquet speed is higher than most, it's the fact that I use most of my racquet head speed to generate topspin. The only time I don't use a reverse forehand is when I'm attacking short balls. I still hit with above average pace on my forehand, but given how much spin I get, I want more cheap depth and power. There's still room to lower my tension, I think. My forehands land about 6-8 feet past the service line, I want to bring that up without changing my form seeing as there are no technical problems with my forehand as it is.

Tar Heel Tennis
08-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Actually my racquet speed is higher than most, it's the fact that I use most of my racquet head speed to generate topspin. The only time I don't use a reverse forehand is when I'm attacking short balls. I still hit with above average pace on my forehand, but given how much spin I get, I want more cheap depth and power. There's still room to lower my tension, I think. My forehands land about 6-8 feet past the service line, I want to bring that up without changing my form seeing as there are no technical problems with my forehand as it is.

um, yeah....sounds like you should invest in a lesson or two with a USPTA certified pro. Flattening your stroke a little bit will cure your "problem" and give you a deeper ball.

It's not always the equipment that needs fixing....

Falloutjr
08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
um, yeah....sounds like you should invest in a lesson or two with a USPTA certified pro. Flattening your stroke a little bit will cure your "problem" and give you a deeper ball.

It's not always the equipment that needs fixing....

I honestly have no interest in changing my forehand. It's my best, most effective shot. Depth is not an issue, but if I can get a bit more out of my strings, then that's icing on the cake, ya know?

Tar Heel Tennis
08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
I honestly have no interest in changing my forehand. It's my best, most effective shot. Depth is not an issue, but if I can get a bit more out of my strings, then that's icing on the cake, ya know?

depth is not an issue? you stated above that "My forehands land about 6-8 feet past the service line, I want to bring that up ". The service line is 21 feet from the net, 18 feet from the baseline. Therefore, your forehands are landing 10-12 feet SHORT of the baseline. Any decent junior will be salivating to play someone like you in a competition.

If you really want to become a better tennis player, stop acting sophomoric, and go 'see a teaching pro. Because clearly, if you are hitting groundstrokes as shallow as you claim, then something isn't right with your stroke. Heck, if what you have said in this thread is accurate, I can already tell you what's technically incorrect with your forehand - you are not swinging through the ball, you are sweeping up against the ball, trying to hit with the maximum amount of spin.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but chances are, this is the best advice you will get out of this thread. It really doesn't matter what string/tension/racket/shoe/headband/whatever you are using; if you don't flatten your swing out (a little or a lot), then you will continue to hit forehands 6-8 feet past the service line, and you will self-sabotage your game.

Today 04:52 PM

Falloutjr
08-31-2010, 03:52 PM
depth is not an issue? you stated above that "My forehands land about 6-8 feet past the service line, I want to bring that up ". The service line is 21 feet from the net, 18 feet from the baseline. Therefore, your forehands are landing 10-12 feet SHORT of the baseline. Any decent junior will be salivating to play someone like you in a competition.

If you really want to become a better tennis player, stop acting sophomoric, and go 'see a teaching pro. Because clearly, if you are hitting groundstrokes as shallow as you claim, then something isn't right with your stroke. Heck, if what you have said in this thread is accurate, I can already tell you what's technically incorrect with your forehand - you are not swinging through the ball, you are sweeping up against the ball, trying to hit with the maximum amount of spin.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but chances are, this is the best advice you will get out of this thread. It really doesn't matter what string/tension/racket/shoe/headband/whatever you are using; if you don't flatten your swing out (a little or a lot), then you will continue to hit forehands 6-8 feet past the service line, and you will self-sabotage your game.

Today 04:52 PM

I'm the one acting sophomoric? I simply came to ask for string advice as I don't have much experience with strings. You're the one who took it upon himself to start this conversation. I think I know my own game well enough to know my forehand is far from a weakness. Btw you should go watch a pro match and see how many balls bounce 6-8 feet from the service line, and how many of those get hammered by PROS, let alone 4.5-5.0 players. That's all I have to say about that.

Mr_Shiver
08-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Definitely give Tour Bite a try. As for the string movement have you considered a string saver? They are supposed to help with that issue and extend string life a bit. For synthetics check out stringforum.net. They have tons of reviews and rankings.

Parker512
08-31-2010, 04:23 PM
buy a stringer. and try luxillion rough spin.

Falloutjr
08-31-2010, 05:39 PM
buy a stringer. and try luxillion rough spin.

I'm in the process of trying to get money for a stringer lol. I would love to have one, then I could pay for nat gut hybrids instead of syn gut and paying $17 a string job v.v

COPEY
08-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Cost isn't REALLY a concern...

Obviously it is.

I get my racquets redone almost habitually every 2 weeks or so...

I would think that by abstaining for say...two months from restringing you'd be well on your way to buying a decent machine.

Falloutjr
08-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Obviously it is.

I would think that by abstaining for say...two months from restringing you'd be well on your way to buying a decent machine.

Well, I meant I could pay for any string job except for gut, when I get a stringing machine, then I can buy gut.

And I can't stop restringing for two months, my strings last me 2 weeks at best, and I always get my racquet done before a tournament. Hell I've only been using my current set for about 6-7 hours and the strings are about to break.

COPEY
08-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Hehe I hear ya. My point is simply that for the price of laying off a few months, you could have your machine fairly soon, then you can not only enter all the tournaments you want, but you can experiment with string weekly if you so desired. It's a trade-off essentially...like most things in life. ;-)

Anyway, just an observation. If your current plan is working out for ya, so be it.

ManuGinobili
08-31-2010, 10:55 PM
If you don't mind the hassle and the work, then a stringing machine is a great investment. You can string for yourself and others and make money back within a few months, then you can affort ALU Rough and gut.

Onto main topic now. Spin poly for main that's affordable (around or under $10): I'm sure you've seen enough raves about the Solinco & Genesis strings, but there are also MSV Hepta Twist, Kirschbaum Spiky Shark (arguably the most spin potential from a string on this forum), PolyStar Turbo, Weisscannon Turbotwist... Priced a little higher are Techni Black Code, Signum Pro Hyperion/Tornado ... See there are a lot of fine choices rather than get stuck with RPM Blast or PHT

For your cross, there is a gut brand priced at $10 a set... it's Global I think (could be Gaucho, gosh all this alcohol!) so check that out. Nice and well priced multis include Maxim Touch - a cult favorite, or Mantis Power/Comfort Synthetic, Forten Sweet...