PDA

View Full Version : saying sorry.

Larrysümmers
08-29-2010, 01:43 PM
when are some times you say sorry? when i hit someone or come close to hitting them like on a serve or slam er something like that ill say sorry.
i was told i am to say sorry when i win a point that bounces off the net and trickles in. im not sure why but eh,
so what are some times when you are supposed to apologize

Cindysphinx
08-29-2010, 01:44 PM
After the second or third toss yip, when I decide to re-start my service routine.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Probably a more genuine thing to do on a net-chord is to put up your hand/racquet in a sign that you acknowledge that it was luck. You don't need to say sorry, though, because if you were really sorry, you would play a let.

Larrysümmers
08-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Probably a more genuine thing to do on a net-chord is to put up your hand/racquet in a sign that you acknowledge that it was luck. You don't need to say sorry, though, because if you were really sorry, you would play a let.

yeah i see that a lot in the pros.

jswinf
08-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't think most people care if you acknowledge luck winning a point off a let-cord shot, but you shouldn't go strutting around like you did it on purpose and give it a few "c'mons" either.

njsigman
08-29-2010, 02:45 PM
My favorite was the time that I was playing this guy, and he won a point on a net cord that barely fell over the net and he fist pumped. I felt like killing the guy....

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I catch myself doing the same thing when someone doesn't put up their hand/racquet, even though there's really nothing to be mad about. After all, I'd probably be just as happy if the circumstances were reversed.

But fist-pumping is something totally different. That's just---evil, lol

TenS_Ace
08-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Nothing like winning a net cord point and then start performing the ole lawnmower start!! That really gets into their heads then!!...and then you get a parking lot beat down!:shock::shock::twisted:

Jaewonnie
08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
When I hit a overly ridiculous winner or just a unintentional winner that has been a bit overdone in a friendly rally.

njsigman
08-29-2010, 03:51 PM
As a result, I took great pride in the beat down I gave him. 6-3, 6-1, 6-0.. :)

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-29-2010, 04:00 PM
As a result, I took great pride in the beat down I gave him. 6-3, 6-1, 6-0.. :)

Where do amateurs play 5-set matches?

hrstrat57
08-29-2010, 04:22 PM
When I frame a shot and it goes for a winner.....or net cord winner.....

njsigman
08-29-2010, 04:32 PM
He insisted on playing a third set, so I granted his wish for a beatdown. :)

cll30
08-29-2010, 05:12 PM

I never apologize for a net-chord winner. I don't gloat either, but if I could hit one on purpose I would hit it every time.

blakesq
08-29-2010, 05:14 PM
the only time i say i am sorry is when I hit or almost hit my opponent with the ball.

when are some times you say sorry? when i hit someone or come close to hitting them like on a serve or slam er something like that ill say sorry.
i was told i am to say sorry when i win a point that bounces off the net and trickles in. im not sure why but eh,
so what are some times when you are supposed to apologize

MythicalBeast
08-29-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't think most people care if you acknowledge luck winning a point off a let-cord shot, but you shouldn't go strutting around like you did it on purpose and give it a few "c'mons" either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhFArnCrPAM&feature=related

NLBwell
08-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I never apologize for a net-chord winner. I don't gloat either, but if I could hit one on purpose I would hit it every time.

Does the ball have to hit the net 3 times to get a net-chord winner?

Perry the Platypus
08-30-2010, 01:05 PM
I'll usually apologize if I hit a craptastic shank winner.....

r2473
08-30-2010, 01:26 PM
I keep a stack of these in my bag and hand them out. Just raising your hand is too impersonal:

http://ohyeswedid.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/4xy857k.gif

chatt_town
08-31-2010, 09:07 PM

You know what....I agree with the part where if someone was sorry, they'd play a let. I think it's total b.s to say you're sorry for hitting the net. I'd just assume not even put my hand up either and don't do it because the truth is if I could do it every time and get the point....I would(especially after the @$$ ripping I took tonight in the 4.5 playoffs.lol). It's not a matter of is it right or wrong, it's a matter of doing what it takes outside of cheating to get a point. Navratilova says they should even consider making the players play the net cord on the serve. I'd like to hear her reason for saying that because she along with Brad Gilbert really make sense when they talk Tennis.

SoBad
08-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Where do amateurs play 5-set matches?

All the time, why wouldn't you? I like to play with people who want to go 5 sets per practice, regardless of outcome of first 3/4 sets.

chatt_town
08-31-2010, 09:28 PM
All the time, why wouldn't you? I like to play with people who want to go 5 sets per practice, regardless of outcome of first 3/4 sets.

I play a lot of 5 set matches especially in the spring to build endurance for the summer and will occasionally do it a couple of weeks before a tourney to prepare for the long 3 setters.

SoBad
08-31-2010, 09:34 PM
I play a lot of 5 set matches especially in the spring to build endurance for the summer and will occasionally do it a couple of weeks before a tourney to prepare for the long 3 setters.

Yes, I think for a tournament player 5-setters are great preparation. It's good for curing hitches too, because you have a margin and there isn't as much tension.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-31-2010, 10:06 PM
I was talking about actual tournament play, but I see now that you are talking about practice.

aceX
08-31-2010, 10:29 PM
If we're rallying, if I hit a ball that they can't reach I'll say sorry.

If in a match, if I hit someone, if I get a let cord or if I mis-hit and the ball bounces right by the net I'll say it.

Vermillion
09-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Rule to live by: Never say sorry* (esp. if it was funny).

*Not just for the tennis courts.

Big_Dangerous
09-02-2010, 12:09 AM
I was talking about actual tournament play, but I see now that you are talking about practice.

Yeah I was going to say it's pretty rare for people I play with to do that. All the tournaments I've ever been to the format has been a pro set, just play until 8 games all. It actually kind of sucks to be honest.

A lot of the people on the club I play at are also kind of wimpy. All they want to do is hit around. If me or my good friend don't bring up playing a match most people won't even mention it... It's kind of like we're the ones forcing them to play a match.... I should really find a new club because also the one I'm in is divided as well, you've got the peons like me and my friend who are like 3.0 maybe 3.5 at best and then the dudes who are incredibly arrogant and refuse to hit with you because they are 4.0 level.

/rant

I do say sorry or hold up my hand on all net cords that I hit, regardless of whether my opponent gets them back or not. I also say sorry or hold up my hand on all smashes that hit or nearly hit my opponents. I just feel that is the right thing to do. I like to practice good tennis etiquette, nothing worse than people who don't play the game the right way.

tiochaota
09-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Should not be.sorry.if you win a point, do boxers say sorry when they hit the other guy in the face ?haha

jswinf
09-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I wonder if Roddick's sorry about last night's line judge abuse/tantrum.

rh310
09-02-2010, 10:08 AM

yeah i see that a lot in the pros.

And J McEnroe continues to characterize it as the player apologizing for winning the point, and make fun of it.

I've always thought of it as simply acknowledging the luck, as Shorts says.

fruitytennis1
09-02-2010, 03:20 PM
If while rallying i hit an unreachable shot.
In a non-competitive match i peg someone

Bud
09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
My favorite was the time that I was playing this guy, and he won a point on a net cord that barely fell over the net and he fist pumped. I felt like killing the guy....

I catch myself doing the same thing when someone doesn't put up their hand/racquet, even though there's really nothing to be mad about. After all, I'd probably be just as happy if the circumstances were reversed.

But fist-pumping is something totally different. That's just---evil, lol

When winning a net cord point, it's 3 fists pumps, yell Vamos! and then the vicht :twisted:

West Coast Ace
09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
I wonder if Roddick's sorry about last night's line judge abuse/tantrum.Yeah. But he's not going to invite Betty the Linejudge over for Movie Night with Brooklyn... :)

I've always thought of it as simply acknowledging the luck, as Shorts says.I agree. It's not an apology.

I only hold my hand up when I hit a net chord against my ball machine. Don't want it going Terminator on me...

Ken Honecker
09-09-2010, 12:38 AM

Heck I tell them I've been trying for that all day as they haven't been covering it. Against friends anyway.

Gemini
09-09-2010, 04:44 AM
After the second or third toss yip, when I decide to re-start my service routine.

Same here, but usually after I don't swing at the first toss. Lately (because I haven't been playing much at all) I've been in this situation.

Falloutjr
09-09-2010, 05:44 AM
I say sorry when I:

- Catch my ball toss (don't remember the last time I did lol)
- When I hit the net cord in a rally and it bounces on their side
- If a ball I hit hits them or if I really miss a serve and it lands near them
- When I hit a shot they can't return in warm-ups or if I don't return it

I know some of you say you don't apologize for hitting the net cord, but I do because I know it's not the way I would prefer to win a point. I believe my opponents should have a legit chance to win the point, and if it clips the tape and rolls a couple inches over, that's kinda cheap.

Totai
09-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Never appologize. Never explain

jms007
09-09-2010, 07:25 AM

I wish I had that kind of time.

I usually barely get past 2 sets, which take up about 2 hours on average. Sometimes we squeeze in a third in 2.5 hours.

AELTC
09-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Commando, I was confused about this also. Sigman isn't talking about an actual game, he's talking about practice. I didn't realize we were talking about practice, until the topic of this thread was clarified here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Bedrock
09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Rule to live by: Never say sorry* (esp. if it was funny).

*Not just for the tennis courts.

Я не помню, а когда "Брат" говорил sorry :) ?

ThePro101
09-09-2010, 08:40 AM
• Hitting someone/very close to hitting someone.
• Hitting the net and having the ball fall in for a winner.
• Hitting the ball very far off the court (they have to retrieve it).
• Mis-hit winner.
• When your phone rings in the middle of a point.

and my personal favourite, and the most rare...

• After playing a Golden Set (no points for one of the opponents).
- This is true if you are the winner, or the loser.

SoBad
09-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I wish I had that kind of time.

I usually barely get past 2 sets, which take up about 2 hours on average. Sometimes we squeeze in a third in 2.5 hours.

What can I say, you have to prioritise.

Я не помню, а когда "Брат" говорил sorry :) ?

Брат is Vermillion and Vermillion is Брат, neither of those four ever say sorry.

Ken Honecker
09-10-2010, 01:58 AM
I know some of you say you don't apologize for hitting the net cord, but I do because I know it's not the way I would prefer to win a point. I believe my opponents should have a legit chance to win the point, and if it clips the tape and rolls a couple inches over, that's kinda cheap.

To explain my position a little better let me say that in my formative years we played mostly under the freeway where lobs weren't easily used, we mostly played doubles with young high schoolers parked right at the net so I got into the habit of hitting the ball about 4 inches above the net. Sure every now and then I launch one that hits square on the tape and drops on my side but I don't hang much up there for the other team to punish me with. Besides with my traditional Eastern strokes I don't generate the spin required to loop the ball 4 feet over the net and not go long.

For those reasons I don't feel my hitting the net cord for a winner is much different than my hitting the base line for one as that is about where I am aiming most of the time.

ProgressoR
09-15-2010, 03:43 AM
when rallying, if i hit a killer deep drive and paint the side lines, I apologise, and silently wish I could do it in the match.

jswinf
09-15-2010, 08:57 AM
To explain my position a little better let me say that in my formative years we played mostly under the freeway where lobs weren't easily used,.

I've never seen a tennis court under a freeway. But my Dad used to talk about playing basketball in a gym so small the walls were considered in bounds, I always thought that had interesting possibilites...

Ken Honecker
09-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Those courts were the home ones for a High School located right in the heart of town for quite a while before they built new ones a couple of miles from the school. In the 70's and 80's I played a zillion games there because the nets were up all year unlike the city parks where they take them down for about 5 months in the winter. Also the lights were on until about 10:30 at night. Sadly after I got back into tennis a couple of years ago I found that they now had what amounted to a homeless camp there with folks laying about on sleeping bags and no nets up.

As for small courts one of the schools I play volleyball in has the baseline about 2 inches from the back wall so sometimes the wall is in and sometimes it is out which makes it a little hard to read.