PDA

View Full Version : String Machine advice

Tar Heel Tennis
08-30-2010, 09:17 AM
so, I'm thinking about taking the plunge into the world of tennis stringing. My intent is to string only for myself and girlfriend. I use natural gut exclusively, and gf's rackets would be strung w/ nat. gut or nat. gut/hybrid.

i've skimmed the sticky guide to buying a stringing machine, and have determined that an electronic tensioner w/ constant pull. I also want a machine that can be mounted on a stand.

the main reason for considering a personal machine is time. i have a stringer that does a great job, and charges me $10-$15/string job ($10 - VS gut, $15 - Unifibre). but it can take a week to get a frame back.

I am aware that the price I am charged for stringing is reasonable, if not excellent. But since I have never strung a racket in my life, and the fact that nat. gut will be used in (almost) all of my stringing endeavors; should I try to stay patient and continue to use my stringer, or will the inconveniences of stringing nat. gut be worth the time saved by stringing my own rackets?

thanks for your constructive input!

drakulie
08-30-2010, 09:25 AM
^^Anyone could learn to string if they put in the effort, and understand that it will take time to produce a good quality job.

When stringing with gut, one also needs to take certain precautions that are not necessarily needed with synthetics or poly strings. I would not dive into immediately stringing with natural gut until I am at least confident stringing synthetics. In other words, practice on cheap synthetics before stringing gut. Better to waste 2 dollars, than 35+ dollars.

As for machines, I'm sure there are plenty of posters who could recommed you a good entry machine that will not break the bank.

Good luck!

Irvin
08-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Electronic stringer with a stand? OK You are going to have to string at least 100 rackets to make it worth your while. That is if you buy a cheap stringer. If you want a dependable stringer it is going to cost more.

You may want to offer your stringer more than $10 to get it back in a reasonable time.

Irvin

Tar Heel Tennis
08-30-2010, 09:32 AM
thanks for the replies. it sounds like stringing gut is an 'advanced' class, and that my time and money are better used with my current stringer.

this is the info i was looking for, so that i can make an intelligent decision.

jswinf
08-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Does the idea of doing your own stringing appeal to you? Are you a "hands-on" type? I think a lot of us who string mostly for ourselves/friends do it because we like it. I think it's fun. It is likely to take some chunks of your personal time, especially for the first several stringjobs, and you might have to deal with some frustration and sore fingers.

If you're primarily interested in getting your rackets back faster but the idea of spending a couple of your free hours stringing doesn't thrill you, I dunno...Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it.

struggle
08-30-2010, 10:16 AM
OP, those ARE labor charges only, no?

if not, i'd stick with him!!

Tar Heel Tennis
08-31-2010, 07:25 AM
OP, those ARE labor charges only, no?

if not, i'd stick with him!!

yes - labor only.

mikeler
08-31-2010, 08:58 AM
If your goal is to improve turnaround time, a lower end machine might be a good idea. During times where you need the quick turnaround, then do it yourself. For other times, you may want to continue using your current stringing person.