PDA

View Full Version : Matching racquets

antontd
05-29-2005, 04:08 PM
How to match 2 racquets with different weight and balance? Where to put lead tape. Be comprehensive.
thanks.

tricky nicky
05-29-2005, 04:24 PM
best thing to do is when buying racquets, buy a matched pair, they will be close enough for most of us.

other than that do a search! LOL

or ask Gaines or any of the others very nicely.

best not to add and please don't say "do a search"

regards,

tricky.

doriancito
05-29-2005, 04:51 PM
do a search.....LOL, kiddin...what i would do is to go to the store and have both racquets a really close look and best if you get the actual weight of the racquets in a electronic balance if they have one. Then ask to demo them and go the the court and hit some serves to start and the some drives, back hands, and last some volleys...better if you do this with a ball machine that way you have the same speed on each ball.

nViATi
05-29-2005, 05:07 PM
How to match 2 racquets with different weight and balance? Where to put lead tape. Be comprehensive.
thanks. and please don't say "do a search".
think before you post. we would need to know the difference in weight and balance. we are not psychic

antontd
05-29-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm talking about Customizing with lead tape guys

nViATi
05-29-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm talking about Customizing with lead tape guys
we woulnd't know where you would need to put it and with how much if we don't know what the specs are of the racquets that need to be customized are!!!!!!!!!!!!

antontd
05-29-2005, 05:16 PM
think before you post. we would need to know the difference in weight and balance. we are not psychic

for example, let's say the first one is 6g more and 2 points head heavier.

ambro
05-29-2005, 05:21 PM
You would put 6g on the lighter one in a spot that would make it 2 points head lighter. Probably the 6g in the handle or under the grip.

antontd
05-29-2005, 05:28 PM
This would make the first even more head heavier.

Anyone who is experienced in racquet matching? where exactly do you put the lead? What do you do first? Matching the weight will not take care of the balance. Also altering one of them will change the other.

Gaines Hillix
05-29-2005, 08:21 PM
This would make the first even more head heavier.

Anyone who is experienced in racquet matching? where exactly do you put the lead? What do you do first? Matching the weight will not take care of the balance. Also altering one of them will change the other.

You need an accurate scale and a balance beam to do this. You start by weighing them with a scale that can measure in at least 1g increments. .1g would be even better. Then you need to find the balance point of each one using the balance beam. Once you know the weight and balance of both racquets you can match the one with the lighter weight to the heavier one. You already should know how much weight to add to the lighter one. If the heavier racquet is 6pts HL and the lighter one is 8 pts HL you will need to add the weight to the head side of the balance point. The easiest way to determine where to add it is to put the lighter racquet on the balance beam in the position that would match its balance point with the heavier one. Then you can move the weight around on the frame without sticking it on until it balances. If the weight is ahead of the handle your best bet is to split the weight and put it one each side of the throat or head. If you need to add it to the handle put it under the grip. Also, take a look at www.racquetresearch.com .

monologuist
05-29-2005, 08:29 PM
if you end up having to add lead to one of them above the balance point, be careful where you put it.....if you put it on the hoop, especially if it is at 3 o'clock or higher (or 9 o'clock and higher), it's going to affect the power level, and the swingweight quite a bit....also, from the experimenting that I've done with lead tape, I have found that where you put it on the handle (under the grip) can affect the swingweight as well, contrary to popular belief....if you stack it up mainly riht at the butt end , below where your hand holds the racquet, it can actually increase the swingweight a little....same can be said of putting it above where your hand holds the grip....putting it right under the area where you hold the grip will have the least effect on the swingweight in my experience, since it will be right at the "axis of rotation"....

antontd
05-30-2005, 12:50 PM
thanks. If anyone else is interested and doesn't mind math:
http://www.racquetresearch.com/customizing.htm

hadoken
05-30-2005, 01:18 PM
I agree with monologuist...I have been struggling with adding lead tape to my Babolat Storm without messing up swingweight too much because it has a relatively high swingweight, and the best position I placed it was around the butt cap and the lower part of the handle. Adding it to the end messed it up, as well as too far up the handle