PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having problems stringing the new Exo3's?

verbouge
08-30-2010, 11:06 PM
They have speedports, but that is not the issue. I actually kinda like stringing speedport sticks. The issue is the grommetted holes, especially at the beginning and the end of the crosses.

I spent at least 20 extra minutes stringing an Exo3 White this evening because I had so much trouble getting the crosses started and finished. The holes for these strings are incredibly small, and there's already a main blocking it, making it nearly impossible to pass the string.

Here's a solution for a problem that others of you may have had, too. I had a second brand new Exo3 White following the first one. I studied the holes that were the most difficult, and before the first string went in, I dilated them very thoroughly with an awl. The frame and the grommet were undamaged. After having done this, the second racquet was a piece of cake. Great investment of 5 minutes of time.

I've been seeing tons of these frames lately. From now on, all of them get "the treatment" before I string them.

Irvin
08-31-2010, 03:15 AM
I had a very small hole on a racket I strung recently. Look at about 2:20 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85aD5xHjjas

Irvin

JackB1
08-31-2010, 08:42 AM
They have speedports, but that is not the issue. I actually kinda like stringing speedport sticks. The issue is the grommetted holes, especially at the beginning and the end of the crosses.

I spent at least 20 extra minutes stringing an Exo3 White this evening because I had so much trouble getting the crosses started and finished. The holes for these strings are incredibly small, and there's already a main blocking it, making it nearly impossible to pass the string.

Here's a solution for a problem that others of you may have had, too. I had a second brand new Exo3 White following the first one. I studied the holes that were the most difficult, and before the first string went in, I dilated them very thoroughly with an awl. The frame and the grommet were undamaged. After having done this, the second racquet was a piece of cake. Great investment of 5 minutes of time.

I've been seeing tons of these frames lately. From now on, all of them get "the treatment" before I string them.

By "dilated" do you mean you widened the hole by pushing through the awl a few times? Is there any chance of damaging the grommet by doing this?

I also strung a EXO White yesterday (my first time) and I noticed you must start the crosses on a certain side, otherwise you will be on the wrong side when you come to the first port hole. I think its about the 4th cross or so, but you won't realize it until you get there. At least next time, I'll know.

And yes, the blocked holes are a pain....especially if you have a soft multi for your crosses. Also some of the crosses don't have the proper angle to the tensioner, so you have to either use a brake or use the "boomerang" tool.
My brake is a pain, but I haven't tried a boomerang yet. Maybe I should get one or is it better to just use the brake? The problem is the brake on my MP Hercules 680 is that you can't lock it anywhere you want. There are certain spots where it will "lock", but you have to "find" them.

Irvin
08-31-2010, 09:43 AM
First - if you open up the grommet you will make the grommet hole thinner which will weaken the grommet. Also think about what happens to the outside of the grommet. Usually those grommets fit just through the frame. If you make the diameter of the inside larger and the diameter of the outside stays the same the grommet is thinner and will fail sooner, or you frame hole is larger and that isn't good either.

Second - When stringing any O3 or EXO3 racket you must start the crosses on the correct side. It doesn't take long to see when you don't. LOL

Third - If you plan to use the boomerangs tool to string the Prince rackets get them now while they are in stock. They are free. If you don't have a boomerang use the 2 piece 50/50. Those are the only two options I would suggest.

Fourth - I suggest we all ban together, find the person that thought up the O Port system, and we should all dump the string we cut out of a year's worth a rackets in his yard. LMAO

Irvin

verbouge
08-31-2010, 12:18 PM
First - if you open up the grommet you will make the grommet hole thinner which will weaken the grommet. Also think about what happens to the outside of the grommet. Usually those grommets fit just through the frame. If you make the diameter of the inside larger and the diameter of the outside stays the same the grommet is thinner and will fail sooner, or you frame hole is larger and that isn't good either.

Second - When stringing any O3 or EXO3 racket you must start the crosses on the correct side. It doesn't take long to see when you don't. LOL

Third - If you plan to use the boomerangs tool to string the Prince rackets get them now while they are in stock. They are free. If you don't have a boomerang use the 2 piece 50/50. Those are the only two options I would suggest.

Fourth - I suggest we all ban together, find the person that thought up the O Port system, and we should all dump the string we cut out of a year's worth a rackets in his yard. LMAO

Irvin

Great post, Irvin!

I was experienced enough with these sticks to know you have to start on the "correct" side. My Stringway ML100 has a perfectly serviceable, easy to use lock out (although I wish the lockouts were closer together). I've not yet gotten a boomerang, but must do so, and have not yet ventured the two piece 50-50.

But let me tell you, I struggled MIGHTILY with that very, very last cross, trying every trick I knew and making some up along the way. That little bit of extra space MAY (or may not) shorten the life of the grommets in these sticks, but in my opinion, having struggled with this issue a number of times now, I'm only making up for a defect in Prince's design. A racquet should not be that hard to string; a problem not so complicated that it cannot be overcome with relative ease.

So for now, I stand by my solution. It's simple, it seems pretty benign, and unless somebody comes up with something else that actually works, it's the best thing I've found so far.

kimmikaym
11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm glad to hear others have complaints about stringing these sticks. I dont know if any of you have tried stringing these with 17 gauge natural gut but if you do watch out. The energy bridge or channel whatever you wish to call it will develop grooves that are sharp over time(a very short time) and it will break the string when you string it. I have spent a fortune on broken gut before I have ever hit a ball with it and have had very experienced stringers try to string it. I really feel that it is a design flaw. I even had to call Prince manufacture and get them to send me new energy channels because they dont come with the grommets. I am really frustrated and wish that I could find another racquet with the same feel but NOT an EXO3. I refuse to switch from 17 gauge natural gut due to elbow surgery.