PDA

View Full Version : Does Nike+ work for tennis?

Pocky
08-30-2010, 11:29 PM
It has been advertised for running but I am wondering if we can useit for tennis and see the same records such as distance, calories, time.

Also, does it work for weight lifting?

nervebullet
08-31-2010, 01:22 AM
I use Nike+ for running, and its fantastic, especially with the goals you can set and the online profile that keeps track of everything. There is training for sports such as soccer however that involves running and not any soccer drills.

I think it would be hard to measure on a tennis court, unless you use a nike+ pouch because nike+ works better with the nike+ shoes. I don't know how the results would come up because you start and stop a lot in tennis. It may just calculate it as a poorly paced run. I honestly wouldn't recommend it.

i dont understand how you would want to use it with lifting, can you please clarify, because the nike plus is specifically made for running

my 2 cents :) hope it helps!

nervebullet
08-31-2010, 01:23 AM
I use Nike+ for running, and its fantastic, especially with the goals you can set and the online profile that keeps track of everything. There is training for sports such as soccer however that involves running and not any soccer drills.

I think it would be hard to measure on a tennis court, unless you use a nike+ pouch because nike+ works better with the nike+ shoes. I don't know how the results would come up because you start and stop a lot in tennis. It may just calculate it as a poorly paced run. I honestly wouldn't recommend it.

i dont understand how you would want to use it with lifting, can you please clarify, because the nike plus is specifically made for running

Fuzzball7
08-31-2010, 01:49 AM
I don't see the point of using it on a tennis court.

PimpMyGame
08-31-2010, 02:06 AM
I don't see the point of using it on a tennis court.

Me either, certainly in a match situation. The only time it may make any sense is if you were checking your workout during a lesson. In a match you do what you need to do.

Pocky
08-31-2010, 02:38 AM

Thanks for your insight.

I wish to calculate the number of calories burnt in order to keep in optimal shape.

Pocky
08-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Me either, certainly in a match situation. The only time it may make any sense is if you were checking your workout during a lesson. In a match you do what you need to do.

I didn't intend on using it during matches mate

West Coast Ace
08-31-2010, 03:10 AM
I don't think it would work. It's based on running with a consistent stride. In tennis, you have too many different types of steps to get to the ball. Would be cool to track how far you ran in practice.

Pocky
08-31-2010, 04:23 AM
I don't think it would work. It's based on running with a consistent stride. In tennis, you have too many different types of steps to get to the ball. Would be cool to track how far you ran in practice.

Totally (10char)

West Coast Ace
09-02-2010, 03:37 PM
In case anyone is interested, Wired (technology magazine) did a decent story on the Nike/Apple partnership:

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/17-07/lbnp_nike

brownbearfalling
09-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Along with finding a way to out the sensor into your tennis shoes, you have to deal with playing with an ipod with you. Either with the armband, in your pocket or placed somewhere in very close proximity of you.

If you knew more about how the sensor works, you could determine if it would be useful for tennis. It would be able to measure the distance you cover during a tennis session because it knows when you stop and start.

Otherwise, you could use the nike+ "relatively". Even though the values wouldn't be correct or true, you could compare your practice sessions against on and the other based on the times, calories and distance.

XFactorer
09-05-2010, 08:33 AM
You can't use the Nike+ Tennis system for anything except running. It basically calculates steps over a certain time to guest-imate your mileage. It doesn't work for inconsistent start/stop movements. It only works when you're moving forward and not side-to-side. You can't even correctly calculate calories because tennis is so much "bursting" and not steady a pace that running is.

You could actually use a SportBand to by-pass the need for carrying an iPod, but, again, you're not going to get anything insightful out of Nike+.