PDA

View Full Version : should sectionals be at a central location?

Perry the Platypus
08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
On the plus side we got a WC to mixed sectionals. On the downside we have to drive 7,539 miles (MAYBE an exaggeration...) to Waterloo, IA.

Personally I wish sections would pick a centralized location (like KC for the Missouri Valley) rather than move it around here and yon.

What say you guys?

bcart1991
08-31-2010, 12:26 PM
I think moving it around gives players an opportunity to see a destination city, rather than going to the same places every year (like state championships).

Perry the Platypus
08-31-2010, 12:36 PM
That's true....

I actually don't mind states moving (our district rotates between two cities).

Bottom line is it probably depends on the cities....nothing against IA, but I'm not really jonesing to go to Waterloo - I'm sure they didn't really love coming to Tulsa or OKC either.

Here in the MV we rotate between Springfield, St. Louis, KC, Topeka, Tulsa, OKC, Omaha, Des Moines and Waterloo - maybe a couple of others....no real "destinations" in the bunch.

Other areas may have more fun places to go. The distances involved mean 2 days off of work instead of 1 though. If it were centralized I think everyone could get by with one day of vacation.....

bcart1991
08-31-2010, 12:55 PM
I know what you mean. At least in the South we have New Orleans, Mobile (ha) and other coastal cities. not-so-much in the *******.

hammer
08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
At least you don't have to pay for the high room rates that you do in Carmel (for NorCal). But I guess you also have the option of staying in nearby Salinas instead for cheaper rates if you wanted to.

sumari
08-31-2010, 01:52 PM
What division? Our 8.0 Mixed had to pass the wild card on because too many of us could not go to Waterloo. Hopefully we passed it to your team or a team like yours that could go.

GMay
08-31-2010, 04:14 PM
In the Pacific NW they are in the same place every year but I think that is because of the lack of other facilities to host the events.

Adult Sectionals are always in Portland OR, Senior Sectionals is in Sunriver OR (altitude of 5K) and not sure where mixed is.

Perry the Platypus
09-01-2010, 06:11 AM
@ sumari - 8.0

It worked well for us 'cause we could not have really played at districts because several of us were playing at 9.0 districts at the same time. But given the distance the team that won districts, and presumably your team could not go - so off we go.

We were 10-1 with our only loss being to the team that won districts so who knows....? We'll try to represent OK well.....

bcart1991
09-01-2010, 06:49 AM
LOL @ the word filter.

sumari
09-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Good luck at Sectionals. Sounds like the better team is going, ours is not as strong. Have fun and hope you make it to Nationals.

sumari
09-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Did you play the lefty on Friday morning?

West Coast Ace
09-11-2010, 10:48 AM
LOL @ the word filter.That was great. A region of the country made the mistake of using the name of a competing tennis site... or is it the other way around? :)

Moving around seems like the right answer. But as someone said, you have to have the facilities to support the event. That should always take priority. It's not like there are going to be thousands of fans cheering for the home team or heckling the visitors.

Perry the Platypus
09-14-2010, 08:29 AM
@ sumari

I played a lefty girl Friday morning, but you are probably referring to the lefty guy on the MO team. He was good but I saw two "4.0" guys who were much better.

Couple of tough losses as the competition was very stiff. As with any sectionals there were some questionably rated players......

Still I felt like I played some great tennis, lost a tight match in a buster Friday morning that would probably have helped our bracket draw. Still fun was had, and all competition was friendly. I saw some chippy matches, but was pleased not to be involved in any of them.

As for the drive to Waterloo.......LONG!