PDA

View Full Version : Catching the toss with your raquet

chatt_town
08-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Is this considered a fault? I may have asked this before but I never came back to see what the answer was. Anyway, I was watching a tourney and a guy caught his toss with his raquet and one of the other guys said that was a double fault(He'd missed his first) and took the point. So is this true? A guy on the side said that wasn't true because the guy has to actually go into a service motion for it to be considered a serve. The guy on the court said if you toss the ball and then it makes contact with your raquet before your hand, it is an attempt to serve. What's the official rule?

Peace,

Chatt_town

johndagolfer
08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
From that post, the rule states you actually have to go into the service motion. So just catching the ball with your racquet is not a fault.

I can't see why would anyone would do this unless it's a seriously bad toss.

chatt_town
08-31-2010, 09:25 PM
From that post, the rule states you actually have to go into the service motion. So just catching the ball with your racquet is not a fault.

I can't see why would anyone would do this unless it's a seriously bad toss.

Well you know what I was sitting there and didn't actually see it but from what I can tell and what I remember happening to Marat one match, he probably would have been considered in his service motion. I remember once he was starting his back foot on the other side of the hash and the umpire called a fault for him doing so. It was real funny because the ignorant annoucers didn't even know the rule and talked about the umpire like a dog only to find out the umpire was right. They thought that because once he actually hit the ball his foot was on the correct side there was nothing wrong, but it was actually a fault because once he threw the ball up, he was actually considered to be in his service motion. So if I go back to that then this guy was surely in his service motion whether he swung at the ball or not. I don't know how you could toss the ball without being in his service motion. So I guess I just answered my own question. I'll wait for an official ruling from one of the umpires here. I saw a couple in another thread earlier.

Chatt_town

SweetH2O
09-01-2010, 04:02 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=342380

woodrow1029
09-01-2010, 06:49 AM
OP, here you go. Read Case 1 out of the rulebook.

19. SERVICE FAULT
The service is a fault if:
a. The server breaks rules 16, 17, or 18; or
b. The server misses the ball when trying to hit it; or
c. The ball served touches a permanent fixture, singles stick or net post before
it hits the ground; or
d. The ball served touches the server or server’s partner, or anything the server
or server’s partner is wearing or carrying.
Case 1: After tossing a ball to serve, the server decides not to hit it and catches it
instead. Is this a fault?
Decision: No. A player, who tosses the ball and then decides not to hit it, is allowed
to catch the ball with the hand or the racket, or to let the ball bounce.

chatt_town
09-01-2010, 07:51 PM
OP, here you go. Read Case 1 out of the rulebook.

19. SERVICE FAULT
The service is a fault if:
a. The server breaks rules 16, 17, or 18; or
b. The server misses the ball when trying to hit it; or
c. The ball served touches a permanent fixture, singles stick or net post before
it hits the ground; or
d. The ball served touches the server or serverís partner, or anything the server
or serverís partner is wearing or carrying.
Case 1: After tossing a ball to serve, the server decides not to hit it and catches it
instead. Is this a fault?
Decision: No. A player, who tosses the ball and then decides not to hit it, is allowed
to catch the ball with the hand or the racket, or to let the ball bounce.

Thanks

I appreciate that.

West Coast Ace
09-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Woodrow, so catching it with the racket means there was no 'intent' to hit it? And if so, what about the case where the server 'aborts' the swing (hears a noise as he/she starts the downswing) - but barely touches the ball?

woodrow1029
09-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Woodrow, so catching it with the racket means there was no 'intent' to hit it? And if so, what about the case where the server 'aborts' the swing (hears a noise as he/she starts the downswing) - but barely touches the ball?
For me, starting the downswing would indicate a swing and a fault. I would have to see it happen to answer it clearly though.

West Coast Ace
09-02-2010, 05:20 PM
(As always), thanks.