PDA

View Full Version : Best racquet for a Western Grip

RHSTennis
05-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Does the kind of grip you use determine what kind of racquet you should use. If so, what racquets are good for a player with a Eastern grip?

Grimjack
05-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Different people have different experiences with this.

The best thing to do is probably to demo two or three racquets with the idea of figuring out your grip preference, then going from there. For example, you might order:

One Head or Volkl, to see how the "elongated" or "rectangular" type grip works with your eastern. (For me, this shape grip works well with a continental or eastern style grip -- less well with a SW or western. Has to do with hand size/shape, I guess.)

and

One Prince or Wilson, to see how a "round" or "square" type grip fits it. (For me, this style works much better with the SW and W, less so with the E and continental. It might be worth taking one of each of these, because some people have very different reactions to the rounder Wilson and the squarer Prince. I didn't, but some do.)

If you just want to play it by the numbers, my feel from having read enough posts here is that a majority think the oblong Head/Volkl type grip suits the western style of play better, and the Wilson/Prince the eastern. But I'd still suggest you try for yourself if you can afford to demo a few.

MChong
05-29-2005, 07:29 PM
I always thought that the Head style grips fit well because of how rectangular they are. Perhaps I'm wrong.

federer_nadal
05-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Try babolats, they are made for the younger new generation of western grippeds people IMO.

kian
05-29-2005, 11:35 PM
You should also consider using a smaller sized grip if you're fully western.

Helps in the spin department.

deflori
05-30-2005, 01:19 AM
My völkl c10 was good for it - than the instinct,now the Fp-Tour - works all great with my Fullwestern,Head is good for western,but not the only brand..
brugera-yonex
mantilla-völkl
guga-head

Grimjack
05-30-2005, 06:30 AM
Note, all, that after the edit, he changed both the title and first post to read "eastern" instead of "western."

RHS: you're stuck with the title on the main page. So if you actually want some answers to this, you might want to start a new post with a different title.

goosala
05-30-2005, 08:42 AM
If you are physically strong try the Pro Staff 90 or even 85 like Courier used. I tried hitting a Western forehand with it and it stays in no matter how hard I hit it.