PDA

View Full Version : Early Start Ratings are out

lethalphorce
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
For us in New England, the Early Start Ratings just came out.
Considering that we're done with all our league play for 2010, how much will these change when the official new ratings come out?

I went 16-1 at 3.5 and got bumped to 4.0, but I was very surprised at some of the guys on my team that didn't get bumped. My dubs partner was 10-2 (6-0 at districts/sectionals) and he didn't get bumped. Another guy was 12-3 and no bump.

If these ratings are any indication, I'd say the USTA is going to be pretty stingy with their bumps this year.

njsigman
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Damn. Nice record. Congrats on a great season. I am in NJ and am waiting for the early start ratings. Perhaps ours are up next due to geography? I have no idea what the timeframe is for them to come out over here...

Nor'easter
09-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Where can I find the 2011 Early Start Ratings for New England?

njsigman
09-01-2010, 10:54 AM
http://www.newengland.usta.com/USA-League-Tennis-Pages/NTRP-Ratings-Appeals/

robert
09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
For us in New England, the Early Start Ratings just came out.
Considering that we're done with all our league play for 2010, how much will these change when the official new ratings come out?

I went 16-1 at 3.5 and got bumped to 4.0, but I was very surprised at some of the guys on my team that didn't get bumped. My dubs partner was 10-2 (6-0 at districts/sectionals) and he didn't get bumped. Another guy was 12-3 and no bump.

If these ratings are any indication, I'd say the USTA is going to be pretty stingy with their bumps this year.

ESR isn't same as the YER. I went 50-5 this season and got also got bumped.

Nor'easter
09-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Found it! Shows my ESR to be 4.0. Do you think this will stick as my YER? I played both 3.5 and 4.0 this season. Went 10-0 at 3.5 dubs making it through the semi's at districts...7-3 at 4.0 level.

kaissoz
09-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Rating in North NJ should come out anytime now (since it's part of Eastern), but Central and South NJ are part of Middlestates and their ESL usually come out closer to the end of the month.

After playing USTA leagues for a few years now, from what I understand, ratings have little to do with one's win-loss record, but more with quality of the opponent(s) and margin of victory. I've seen cases of players with losing records getting bumped as all their loses very close to quality opponents. I've also seen in one case a player with a perfect 9-0 record getting bumped down, due to the fact that he often went 3 sets at 3rd doubles against opposition that was playing up.

In addition, I believe one's dynamic rating at the start of the season also plays a major part in getting bumped (or not). For example, if a long time, above average player, of a particular level happens to partner a newly bump up and they go 10-0 at 1st doubles with fairly close matches all season long, the former will probably be bumped while the latter might not.

Congrats to all with close to perfect records! I would love to have the same stats :)

J011yroger
09-07-2010, 02:40 AM
Eastern just came out.

J

JoelDali
09-07-2010, 07:25 AM
What a joke of a system.

Guys that made it to State don't get bumped but guys that only won like 3 matches in league play with non dominiating results get bumped.

Pathetic.

sphinx780
09-07-2010, 08:41 AM
What a joke of a system.

Guys that made it to State don't get bumped but guys that only won like 3 matches in league play with non dominiating results get bumped.

Pathetic.

Hey! It was two matches, and I worked hard in at least one set :)

njsigman
09-07-2010, 09:33 AM
I agree with you, JoelDali. Same thing happened to me. It makes no sense whatsoever....

Will play the tri-level season and see what happens with the year end rankings...

kylebarendrick
09-07-2010, 10:36 AM
My experience watching ESRs in Norcal has been that many more people get bumps with their year-end ratings than with the ESRs. My guess has been that they don't want to jerk people around too much with the interim ratings.

PinkTennisNinja
09-08-2010, 05:33 AM
How does the ESR work? I started league in Spring of 09 and I don't remember any ESR towards the end of the year. Do all sections do it or is it state specific? (I'm in Southern)

kylebarendrick
09-08-2010, 06:08 AM
It is specific to each section, depending on whether the schedule for that section includes early start leagues.

tennismonkey
09-08-2010, 06:43 AM
would be nice to see automatic bump ups for teams that make it to districts and sectionals and nationals. would give more teams chances at postseason.

JoelDali
09-08-2010, 07:21 AM
would be nice to see automatic bump ups for teams that make it to districts and sectionals and nationals. would give more teams chances at postseason.

This is the joke of it all.

My buddy won 3 districts, then Regionals and didn't get bumped, yet 3 of my self rates with non-dominating wins get bumped for no damn reason.

USTA has lost $4000 from me and my team for next year.

I'm joining a bowling league instead.

:(

http://stormlake.com/images/Bowler.jpg

Cindysphinx
09-08-2010, 07:38 AM

Slow down, man.

I was on a team that went to sectionals last year. I only played to matches during the regular season, and didn't play thereafter.

And you think I should have been bumped up just because the team did well?

J011yroger
09-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Slow down, man.

I was on a team that went to sectionals last year. I only played to matches during the regular season, and didn't play thereafter.

Yes, you no good cheating sandbagger!

lol

J

jonnythan
09-09-2010, 08:37 AM
How does this work? I got bumped to 3.0, does that mean I'll be a 3.0 next year?

And why are only 2 guys from my team even in the PDF at all? Where are the rest?

Nor'easter
09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
You have to play at least 2 USTA matches to get a rating.

tennismonkey
09-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Slow down, man.

fine let's say a minimum number of games + a trip to postseason = bump up.

jonnythan
09-09-2010, 10:21 AM
All of the guys on my team have played at least 3, actually.

njsigman
09-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I agree with tennismonkey 100%...

AceKing
09-09-2010, 10:26 AM
fine let's say a minimum number of games + a trip to postseason = bump up.

Our team made it to Sectionals, but we had a guy that went 3-8. Do you think that guy should get bumped?

dizzlmcwizzl
09-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Damn. Nice record. Congrats on a great season. I am in NJ and am waiting for the early start ratings. Perhaps ours are up next due to geography? I have no idea what the timeframe is for them to come out over here...

They usually come out the monday after senior sectionals for middle states which would be Monday sept 13 ...