PDA

View Full Version : Just getting back to tennis.

ShutterBug
09-03-2010, 07:21 AM
A little history on me.

I played high school tennis up North for 4 years, and then pretty much stopped playing competitively after that. Back then, a rating didn't matter to me at all, so I have no idea what I was.

I haven't played consistently in about 12 - 14 years....

Fast forward to today: I am 33 years old, I am a good athlete, and I am in okay shape. I started hitting a little bit, and started attending tennis drills at my local tennis club. I am not hitting consistently, but the improvement over the past couple weeks has been pretty good. Originally starting, of course I was wild with my shots, timing and footwork were off, and didn't have too much control....but, that has changed a lot. I am starting to play much, much better.

Anyhow, I have entered a 3.0 singles flex league in my area. I don't know if I am under-rating myself, but I don't believe I am over-rating myself at all. I could potentially be a 3.5 player right now, but I just don't know it yet because I haven't played against anyone that I know to be a 3.5 player or 3.0 player, I have only been doing drills with people anywhere from 3.0 - 6.0. I try to talk to some of the players to see where they rate, and the people at 4.0 are definitely better than me.

Anyhow, the point of my question is, am I (based on my description) okay to compete one season at 3.0 to see if that is where I should be. I don't wanna be the guy that has intentionally under-rated himself to kick the crap out of the competition....I truly have NO IDEA what rating I should be right now.

Thanks for the advice.

polski
09-03-2010, 08:44 AM
A guy in our area had a similar situation. He played a 3.5 singles league & won all his matches 0&1, 1&1, etc (4 or 5 matches) against the common 3.5 opponents. He then entered a 4.0 singles tournament and reached the finals, beating a couple good 4.0's along the way.

Of course, all the sandbag captains were dying to pick this guy up for 7.5. He did a very noble thing & declined their offers. He elected to play on a team for a captain that is playing him as the "4.0" partner despite the computer allowing him to play with another real 4.0 if he would want to.

In a nutshell, I'd say play at 3.0 & have fun. If you feel the competition is too easy, move yourself up next time if the computer hasn't already made you do it.

ShutterBug
09-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I think you're doing the right thing. If you're kicking everyone at 3.0, then you can move up next season. You can also try playing some practice matches with team mates to see how you measure up. Your coach or captain will probably play you in position one or two if you're that good - and you'll get the best competition by playing the top half of the team.

Well, the only flaw with this logic is that I don't have any teammates just yet. I am only signed up for a Flex League as a singles player for this Fall Season. But, I am hoping to get onto a team hopefully soon. I have a call into our local tennis center to see if they can guide me in the right direction also. Thank you for the response also!

ShutterBug
09-03-2010, 09:24 AM
In a nutshell, I'd say play at 3.0 & have fun. If you feel the competition is too easy, move yourself up next time if the computer hasn't already made you do it.

Thank you very much for the input. I figured the best way for me to figure out where I stand is to play at some level and see what my record ends up being at the end of the season at that level of competition.

Sherlock
09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
The USTA recommends if you can't decide between two different rating levels, always choose the better one since you will be improving. But if you really just have no idea...

goober
09-05-2010, 10:32 AM
According to the USTA experienced player guidelines you have to rate a minimum 3.0 if you played in high school and 3.5 if you played in post season play or playoffs. Flex leagues in general are not as high level play as USTA regular leagues. I know some people who have only been playing 3-6 months total that are in 3.0 flex leagues. So basically I would play 3.5 USTA flex and 3.0 USTA team as starting minimum starting points. Just as an aside. I played no organized tennis at all, had no real lessons and self rated as a 4.0 and actually didn't do too bad my first year.