PDA

View Full Version : Is tighter-fitting clothing more hot than looser-fit?

DELPO
09-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Let's say you had the same polo, one fitting very tight, the other really loose. Which would you say would be cooler in the summer heat?

guitarplayer
09-03-2010, 02:40 PM
yes, tighter is hotter

flashfire276
09-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Think about it. If it's tighter, there's not a lot of room for ventilation and breathing.

Bartelby
09-05-2010, 07:03 AM
It depends on the fabric, but with normal fabrics the looser one is cooler. With highly breathable sports fabrics there should be little discernible difference.

Let's say you had the same polo, one fitting very tight, the other really loose. Which would you say would be cooler in the summer heat?

rjg007
09-05-2010, 08:46 AM
I think with the modern fabrics it doesn't make that much of a difference. I prefer tighter fits as I find loose clothing gets in the way more and sticks to you, don't get me wrong tight stuff sticks too but it's not as annoying. Just look at Roddick and Isner they are constantly rearranging their tops while Federer and Nadal who wear tighter fits are not. But it's all a matter of personal preference.

GarrettReid
09-05-2010, 10:23 PM
I think with the modern fabrics it doesn't make that much of a difference. I prefer tighter fits as I find loose clothing gets in the way more and sticks to you, don't get me wrong tight stuff sticks too but it's not as annoying. Just look at Roddick and Isner they are constantly rearranging their tops while Federer and Nadal who wear tighter fits are not. But it's all a matter of personal preference.

I don't like skin tight shirts, i.e. under armor. Maybe something a little looser, but not baggy enough to look like a parasail.

new_tennis_player
09-05-2010, 10:34 PM
There is a difference between form fitting and tight. Also, cotton is different from wicking polyester, or something with spandex blend.

rjg007
09-06-2010, 05:15 AM
I don't like skin tight shirts, i.e. under armor. Maybe something a little looser, but not baggy enough to look like a parasail.

Neither do I, when I say tight I mean close fitting, not the skin tight under layers like under armour. They should never be worn to play tennis my physio said.

netlets
09-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Wozniacki was wearing some tight clothes and it was definitely hot! ;)

JT_2eighty
09-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Wozniacki was wearing some tight clothes and it was definitely hot! ;)

I was waiting for a post like this. Surprised it took 9 posts, I was thinking within 4 or 5.

But yes, tighter is hotter IMO for both meanings: temperature and looks. :D

XFactorer
09-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Think about it. If it's tighter, there's not a lot of room for ventilation and breathing.

Also, think about this: If it's loose, you have all this air between you and your shirt that acts like a little ozone layer keeping heat in. You have moisture on your skin that keeps air in. Tight shirts, assuming made of DriFit or the likes, wick sweat away to evaporate it quickly. Any movement of wind across the shirt is noticeably cooler than the same movement of wind across a shirt that's off the skin and insulated by a pocket of warm air.

ductrung3993
09-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Also, think about this: If it's loose, you have all this air between you and your shirt that acts like a little ozone layer keeping heat in. You have moisture on your skin that keeps air in. Tight shirts, assuming made of DriFit or the likes, wick sweat away to evaporate it quickly. Any movement of wind across the shirt is noticeably cooler than the same movement of wind across a shirt that's off the skin and insulated by a pocket of warm air.

Agreed :)

10 Char

r2473
09-18-2010, 08:29 AM
I was waiting for a post like this. Surprised it took 9 posts, I was thinking within 4 or 5.

But yes, tighter is hotter IMO for both meanings: temperature and looks. :D

Not necessarily true.

1) Guy = no tight clothing

2) Fat Chick = no tight clothing

3) Hot Chick = tight clothing

kevoT
09-18-2010, 01:39 PM
^^ hot chicks should play in bikinis :D

face
09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
This is it! no further questions your honor!

Not necessarily true.

Sportselect
09-22-2010, 01:11 AM
Not necessarily true.

:twisted:

I would recommend loose clothing just because the air can get underneath to cool you off whereas a tight fit will only (with modern fabrics) evacuate your sweat.

Compression wear is a total other conversation...