PDA

View Full Version : different clamps for my machine

sstchur
09-03-2010, 04:06 PM
So I had been considering for a while now (like a year) taking a gamble and trying out the Eagnas PN-1012 clamps for my Mutual Power Titan 7700.

What I really wanted was the 3-tooth clamps over the 5-tooth, but was unsure of the quality or even if they'd fit and didn't want to chance it, as I know returning to Eagnas is non trivial and would come with a 15% restocking fee.

Well I met someone at my local club today who had an Eagnas machine and let me borrow his clamps. I tried them out in my MP machine and they fit just fine in terms of sliding freely up and down in the clamp bases. I didn't feel that they were too tight or too loose, but they felt like a pretty good fit.

I was disappointed that the Eagnas clamps didn't have springs. My MP clamps do, so that when I let go of them, they fall and are cushioned by the spring, which I think is nice. The Eagnas clamps just fall with a thud.

Also, the Eagnas clamps are a tad shorter than the MP clamps which concerns me. I would estimate they are about 1/8 to 1/4 inch shorter. They still fit in the clamp bases, but with a shorter stem, I wonder if that might contribute to more potential for draw back?

I tried stringing one racquet and I did feel that there was some drawback, though, admittedly, not necessarily any more than with my MP clamps, I suppose.

I must say that the Eagnas clamps just felt heavier and more solid overall than the MP clamps which surprised me. I also felt that they held very very well and with very little clamping effort. I actually marked every string I pulled with a charcoal pencil to monitor slippage, and I didn't notice any slipping at all.

With my MP clamps, I do occasionally notice slipping.

This would seem to suggest that it's worth it for me to get the Eagnas clamps, but my concern is still the shorter stem.

Do you guys feels that that is a big deal?

Any advice from those who have more experience with stringing machines than I do, is much appreciated.

jim e
09-03-2010, 07:50 PM
There is an O ring on the stem of the clamp which is the same as my pro master machine clamps have, that softens the blow when you let the clamp down.One of my Eagnas clamps came without the O ring, and I had to get one at the hardware store to place on it, (was easier than calling and talking to Eagnas poor cust. service that I heard about), If you like the spring on the stem, Lowes sells a spring assortment in their hardware dept. and there is a spring in that assortment that will fit the stem.Personally I still like the 5 tooth clamps that came with my machine best, but many do like the 3 tooth. Stems were the same length as my origional clamps. Both work. Good luck. Jim

sstchur
09-03-2010, 08:38 PM
There is an O ring on the stem of the clamp which is the same as my pro master machine clamps have, that softens the blow when you let the clamp down.One of my Eagnas clamps came without the O ring, and I had to get one at the hardware store to place on it, (was easier than calling and talking to Eagnas poor cust. service that I heard about), If you like the spring on the stem, Lowes sells a spring assortment in their hardware dept. and there is a spring in that assortment that will fit the stem.Personally I still like the 5 tooth clamps that came with my machine best, but many do like the 3 tooth. Stems were the same length as my origional clamps. Both work. Good luck. Jim

Thanks Jim. That's helpful -- especially to know that it would be easy to put springs on if I wanted.

I /thought/ I really wanted 3-tooth clamps, but when I actually tried them, I didn't like the 3-tooth any better for their size. I thought that's why I'd like them, but it turns out that the Eagnas clamps just feel a lot heftier, and a lot more sturdy than my MP clamps, which surprised me, and that's actually why I like them (not for their size).

The Eagnas clamps also seemed to hold better with almost no adjustment, which also surprised me.

For those reasons alone, I'm tempted to go with them. My concern is just that the benefits I'm seeing in the Eagnas clamps could potentially be offset if the stems aren't the proper length, right? In other words, when I clamp, and I have to lift the clamps up to clamp the string, there must be sufficient stem in the base, so that the clamps don't move or draw back too much.

I'm concerned that the 1/8 - 1/4 inch less length in the Eagnas clamps might be a concern? Granted, I strung a racquet and it mostly seemed fine, so maybe I'm over thinking it.