PDA

View Full Version : nSixone, Tour V-9 ... Radical

PatCash
05-30-2005, 04:49 AM
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I'd like to have your opinions regarding some thoughts of mine. (by the way i am 4.5 NTRP, serve&volley player)
I own a wilson nsixone (16x18) and a volkl tour 9 v-engine. Both these racquets have good and bad things (as everything) to my game. In synthesis:
nsixone:
- great power, great control, great comfort
- too heavy, my wrist doesn't like it. and my volleys too. as my groundstrokes improved my volleys had a very bad experience ...

volkl tour v-9:
- great comfort, great volleys and manovreaubility
- few power, my groundstrokes lack punch

I demoed many racquest in the meantime. I've been impressed by the liquidmetal radical MP. But ... it was just an hour of demo.
Any suggestion/similar experience?
thx

Michelangelo
05-30-2005, 09:33 AM
I've played my friend's Völkl Tour V-9. He got it brand new at a local store for US$19.99 (what the...). Actually it felt great, especially good at mobility and stability at net (well... at least the best I've tried for the US$19.99-racket catagory). For your power issue, you probably need to relay on the string job more to solve it. Too bad there was no 4-5/8 left for me.

nSix-One Tour 90 is indeed the lightest one among Pro Staff 85, Pro Staff Tour 90 and itself. But I'd still say that Pro Staff is not for everyone. If you don't feel like that, don't push yourself just coz Federer's using it. But if you somehow feel yourself have the potential to manage it, then it's a good thing to train you to next level.

The only 2 things I don't like Liquidmetal Radical midplus are: 1. The brittle sound/feel when I hit balls (pretty personal issue though) and 2. The dense string pattern somewhat limits the spin potential. You should also try Flexpoint Radical Tour for comparison too.

PatCash
05-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Thx Michelangelo.
I worked on the strings of my volkl. And used lead tape too. Things went better. But not as good as I want.
Regarding wilson, I don't think I have problems with my technique. It's just that the weight is too much for my arm. At net I am slow and I don't "feel" the ball. Very frustrating because net play is one of my best quality.
The sound of radical ( I call it SDEEENG!) is not nice at all, you're right, but I consider it a minor issue. Dense string pattern is one of my concern. By the way I am a flat hitter, so ...

Michelangelo
05-31-2005, 05:58 AM
Sounds everything's right except your swing style is not 100% matching the power level of the rackets. Try to develop a bit longer swing style for baseline. It should help.

When I first got my nSix-One Tour 90, I was also in trouble at net (but at least it moves faster than Pro Staff Tour 90 already). However, now it forces me to constantly predict how the ball is coming over the net and react earlier. So, I would also consider it somewhat boosts up my level (as well as my 6th sense !?).

I've used Liquidmetal Radical midplus for a while last year. However, since I'm not totally a flat hitter, I eventually switch back to Wilson. I would like to get a Flexpoint Radical Tour too, but too bad I've already got too many nSix-One Tour 90 and Pro Staff 85, no room for any new racket currently.

PatCash
05-31-2005, 07:00 AM
My great delusion is my volleying with the nsixone 95. Really poor, lots of errors. And finally the problem with my wrist. I stopped playing for a month. Volkl is a good one but has power issues. It's just the way this stick is I suppose. I've read about other people having the same problem. So ... I don't think it's a problem of swing style, I've got a long swing. This racquet probably doesn't perfectly fit my game.

Michelangelo
05-31-2005, 07:12 AM
I see. Since I'm not a tall guy, I'd go for something more control so that I can pace balls wherever I want to win. So the power of Völkl Tour 9 V-Engine at baseline seems fine for me. Anyway, I've also demoed the nSix-One 95. Despite many nCode users are using nSix-One 95, personally I don't like the feel (generally I feel awkward when I hit sticks thicker than 20mm, although it might be only mental issue, and the Völkl Tour V-9 is one of the few exception).