PDA

View Full Version : Found a Prince Graphite Series 90 in the Trash

serveboy
05-30-2005, 08:32 AM
I was walking along when I spotted a racquet in the trash. It was a Prince Graphite Series 90 in superb condition. It reminded me a lot of the Prince Graphite Original midsize so I took it home. I took off the grips to find the buttcap is loose. All the staples are still there though. Do I need to remove it and glue it back on? I don't have a staple gun with which to staple it.

Other than that the racquet is mint. I need to get it restrung. I play with 6.0s so I'm giving this one to my sister who is learning how to play tennis.

I'll take some pics after I fix it.

Michelangelo
05-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Wow! I also found a vey old style Wilson (something in the shape of woodie but actually made of metal with the bottom of the hood was a piece of plastic, with worn-out leather grip) in my high school classroom 9 years ago. I took it home finally. :P

goober
05-30-2005, 09:26 AM
I found a a new looking LM prestige in the trash. I was like " Wow". then I examined it closely and it crack on the 12 o'clock position with a scuff mark right next to it. I think somebody did a weak Safin on it.

pchoi04
05-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Isnt the series 90 the graphite original but it was the older one with the solid green stripe with the green letters instead of gold?

Jonnyf
05-30-2005, 09:41 AM
maybe the guy went for a slash and placed it their n u bumped it

serveboy
05-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Isnt the series 90 the graphite original but it was the older one with the solid green stripe with the green letters instead of gold?

Yep, that's exactly right.

Anyone have an answer to my buttcap question?

ffrpg
05-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Don't use glue to staple it back on. You can actually use normal staples (office staples). Assuming you have an office stapler, just staple away.

serveboy
05-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Don't they always have glue?

ffrpg
05-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Don't they always have glue?

I've removed quite a few buttcaps. I have yet to see glue. Using glue makes it a little hard to remove.

splink779
05-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Ive removed my buttcap in order to extend my racquet. I tried office staples. Alone, they dont really do the trick. So I used a couple small nails since I didnt have a staple gun. Drastic, but effective. Hasn't budged since.

DANMAN
05-30-2005, 09:02 PM
I use an icepick to get through the plastic on the butt cap and then tap the original staples in with a hammer. It works fine if you do it carefully, and the staples will go into the handle with ease.

serveboy
05-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Why not glue though?

rocket
11-04-2005, 06:36 AM
I was walking along when I spotted a racquet in the trash. It was a Prince Graphite Series 90 in superb condition.

If your sister doesn't want the racquet & it's a 4 1/2 grip, I'll take it off your hands for $$. :cool:

Rocket
fuzedmetal@hotmail.com

Skppr05
11-04-2005, 08:11 AM
wow! you guys fine the greatest stuff in the garbage. The best thing i've found was when i was walking home from school and i saw one of my old nostalgic racquets in the garbage :|

Colpo
11-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Glue breaks down over time, and can't stand up to the pressure anyway. If you don't want to buy a staple gun (I finally caved and bought one a year ago, and use it much more than anticipated now that I have it - I recommend it if you can swing it), take the racquet to your stringer just to have the buttcap reapplied. There's nothing more annoying than doing a DIY and feeling the buttcap loosen again over time because you didn't have the right tools or method the first time.

rocket
11-07-2005, 05:43 AM
wow! you guys fine the greatest stuff in the garbage. The best thing i've found was when i was walking home from school and i saw one of my old nostalgic racquets in the garbage :|

some ppl mail presents to themselves... you shoulda tried to sell them here & make $$. :cool: