PDA

View Full Version : 4 man draw for tourney worth the entrance fee?

x5150
09-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Would you guys ask for your money back or just play?

dantesinferno18
09-05-2010, 04:56 AM
You get a bunch of points!!!!!!

polski
09-05-2010, 05:47 AM
I play as long as I get 2 matches

ThePro101
09-05-2010, 05:52 AM
If it's not a round-robin, and I didn't think I was going to win, I would ask for my money back.

tennis tom
09-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Go for it! You're in the semi's automaticaly. What's it cost, $25-40? A tounamnent is like a playing lesson, $75-90 value private lesson. Shirt/hat value $15-25. Snacks/party. Cans of balls. Goody bag maybe. Trophy or prize. Raffle prizes. USTA officials officiating to prevent foot faulting and break-up fights. Getting to observe and hang with good players, priceless. Maybe played at a private club, use of facilities, pool, hot-tub, gym, free coffee, towels, bored housewives/eager pool-boys, for duration of tournament, $10-25 a day guest fees.

Tournaments give good bang for the buck.

West Coast Ace
09-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Depends what your goal(s) is(are). Like someone said, if you want to get a tourney win, play. If you were hoping for a lot of matches (and they don't decide to do a round robin), don't.

@Tennis Tom, where do you play that the t-shirts are worth that much? Every shirt I've gotten is worth about $0.15 and used for wearing in the winter on my Nordic Track. And Gift Bag?

OP, what tournament and what NTRP is this? Somewhat surprising for So Cal.

NoSkillzAndy
09-05-2010, 08:46 AM
I love playing tournaments, but I hate small draws. Personally, if there's 5 or less entries in my division and they're not doing a round robin, I'd be tempted to withdraw or not enter in the first place.

I think a lot of players feel the same way, which is why so many guys who could play 5.0 end up playing 4.5 instead to get a bigger draw. The same thing goes for 30's & Open. At least in Texas, the 5.0's & 30's draws are small and sometimes don't even make, while the 4.5's & Open are consistently big. Why travel, take time off work, pay entry fees, etc., just to play one or two matches, likely against the same few people each tournament when you can play in a much bigger draw, have a potential for more matches, more competition, and more variety of players by playing in the larger divisions?

mikeler
09-05-2010, 08:58 AM
I prefer a minimum of 8 people in the draw. I'd love to play 5.0 tournaments but like NoSkillzAndy said, most 5.0s just enter the 4.5s to get better draws so it ends up depleting the 5.0 draws.

goober
09-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Go for it! You're in the semi's automaticaly. What's it cost, $25-40? A tounamnent is like a playing lesson, $75-90 value private lesson. Shirt/hat value $15-25. Snacks/party. Cans of balls. Goody bag maybe. Trophy or prize. Raffle prizes. USTA officials officiating to prevent foot faulting and break-up fights. Getting to observe and hang with good players, priceless. Maybe played at a private club, use of facilities, pool, hot-tub, gym, free coffee, towels, bored housewives/eager pool-boys, for duration of tournament, $10-25 a day guest fees.

Tournaments give good bang for the buck.

Tournaments are actually probably the worst bang for the buck out there which is why I stopped playing them.

$15-25 value Tshirt? You have got to be kidding me if you think that it is valued anywhere close to that. Many of smaller tourneys don't even give them out. I only have a couple of the Tshirts I am not embarrassed to even wear because they are the only ones not covered all over in sponsors.

Snacks/party: I have only seen parties associated with the bigger tourneys and the smaller ones (which this sounds like) often have nothing.

You are paying $30-40 to potentially play one match if they don't have consolations. I can play in league for that amount of money and get 7-8 matches out of that.

tennis tom
09-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Goober, you must have played at some really crummy tournaments, or your sense of the market place and values are from the 19th Century. When was the last time you bought a T-shirt, or a collared shirt? I just got a beautiful collared shirt that would be valued at $29-59 at a Nike store or a club pro-shop--but it's one of a kind and I'm proud to wear it and thankful to the sponsors for keeping tournaments alive. To each his own, keep playing your league social tennis.

goober
09-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Goober, you must have played at some really crummy tournaments, or your sense of the market place and values are from the 19th Century. When was the last time you bought a T-shirt, or a collared shirt? I just got a beautiful collared shirt that would be valued at $29-59 at a Nike store or a club pro-shop--but it's one of a kind and I'm proud to wear it and thankful to the sponsors for keeping tournaments alive. To each his own, keep playing your league social tennis.

Maybe they were crummy tournaments. I don't know I don't have anything to compare them to outside my area. I was averaging 10-15 tournaments a year for about 3 years so I do feel like I have a good handle on whether they were worth it or not. I have about 20 tournament t shirts from that time. I would say most of them I wouldn't wear at all except maybe to do yardwork in or use as a rag. I wouldn't pay money for them that's for sure. I buy tennis clothes pretty much every year. Some years I have actually spent more on tennis clothes and shoes than on regular clothes. I certainly never saw anything given away at a tournament that would sell for $29-59 at a store. I am not saying that it couldn't happen but I highly doubt that it is something very common.

I have found that the competition at USTA league tennis to be higher than the same NTRP levels of tournament. Look, I don't have any problem with people playing tournaments. People can spend money however they want. I just have a problem with calling tournaments the best bang for the buck.

Jracer77
09-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Maybe they were crummy tournaments. I don't know I don't have anything to compare them to outside my area. I was averaging 10-15 tournaments a year for about 3 years so I do feel like I have a good handle on whether they were worth it or not. I have about 20 tournament t shirts from that time. I would say most of them I wouldn't wear at all except maybe to do yardwork in or use as a rag. I wouldn't pay money for them that's for sure. I buy tennis clothes pretty much every year. Some years I have actually spent more on tennis clothes and shoes than on regular clothes. I certainly never saw anything given away at a tournament that would sell for $29-59 at a store. I am not saying that it couldn't happen but I highly doubt that it is something very common.

I have found that the competition at USTA league tennis to be higher than the same NTRP levels of tournament. Look, I don't have any problem with people playing tournaments. People can spend money however they want. I just have a problem with calling tournaments the best bang for the buck.
As someone who's played in many tournaments, I totally agree with you.

x5150
09-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Depends what your goal(s) is(are). Like someone said, if you want to get a tourney win, play. If you were hoping for a lot of matches (and they don't decide to do a round robin), don't.

@Tennis Tom, where do you play that the t-shirts are worth that much? Every shirt I've gotten is worth about $0.15 and used for wearing in the winter on my Nordic Track. And Gift Bag?

OP, what tournament and what NTRP is this? Somewhat surprising for So Cal.

This is a non USTA event. OC Grand Prix tennis. I guess in any tournament you're only really guaranteed one match only because if you lose...

No t-shirt, gift bag here, dunno about a trophy that I wouldn't care about with this sized draw.

x5150
09-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Tournaments are actually probably the worst bang for the buck out there which is why I stopped playing them.

$15-25 value Tshirt? You have got to be kidding me if you think that it is valued anywhere close to that. Many of smaller tourneys don't even give them out. I only have a couple of the Tshirts I am not embarrassed to even wear because they are the only ones not covered all over in sponsors.

Snacks/party: I have only seen parties associated with the bigger tourneys and the smaller ones (which this sounds like) often have nothing.

You are paying $30-40 to potentially play one match if they don't have consolations. I can play in league for that amount of money and get 7-8 matches out of that.

Yah the league I play in is 12 weeks for $45, whereas one tournament $39.

Commando Tennis Shorts
09-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey, it's all about getting the real-time practice in. If $30 is gonna break the bank, don't do it. But if you love playing tennis and have a chance to get some tournament play in, why not?

Plus, you could probably get some free practice in afterward on the same courts by grabbing another person to hit around with after the tournament.

cll30
09-05-2010, 05:36 PM
They should do round robin if there are only four entrants.

Jim A
09-06-2010, 07:44 AM
tournaments are a way to play some different people

for me I'm not looking at the shirt, etc since its rarely of enough value.

more often then not I'm hoping some of either the top ranked players at my level are entered and/or some that have good league records to see how my game is progressing

If I don't make it out of the 1st round its a bit of a loss $ wise, oh well..one's game will never be perfect without some match play and you can only drill/practice so much..

tennis tom
09-06-2010, 08:25 AM

I think we're talking apples and oranges here. Last week I played doubles against a Senior Tournament Player, at a cost of $40 entry, who played Wimbledon, US Open and Davis Cup, etc. I found it well worth the money.

tennismonkey
09-06-2010, 03:45 PM
figure if you get 2 matches at least -- then it's worth it. if it's one match only -- not worth the cost and hassle. would rather get my entree fee back.