PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Compared Volkl 10 Tour Mp and Slazenger Pro X1?

montx
05-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Question for the TW testers, Breakpoint and NobadMojo, or anyone else who wishes to contribute.

Can someone compare these racquets...they strike to me as being very similar on paper but as I have read the Slazenger is more of an all court, and the volkl is more of a baseline? Please input.

Thanks kindly,

05-30-2005, 10:27 AM
I've owned the T10 and currently own an X1. The biggest difference is their maneuverability: the T10 is less HL and has more SW. It is much slower to bring around than the 8 points HL X. X1 is a natural @ net and volleys effortlessly compared to the T10 which feels like a 2x4 @ net. I also feel the X1 serves better (more pop). The T10 is a little better suited to a baseline style while the X1 is really an all-court or S & V stick. Both are easy on the arm and well-damped.

billyboybeacon
05-30-2005, 11:09 AM
LIke 007 I have owned the T10 and play w/ the X1 now..I thought the T10 was really tough to serve w/ has more flex in the upper hoop has that Volkl butter feel on groundies ...the X1 is a very firm racket stiff head and throat..I really like the feel.. it has changed my 1 handed bh from a liability to a weapon.. I am a S&V player so for me there is no comparison the X1 is the beststick I have hit w/ for an aggressive S&V style my .02

NoBadMojo
05-30-2005, 11:14 AM
i pretty much echo what the other guys have said, and would like to add that the t10mp has a much much more generous sweetspot than the X1. i thought the t10 volleyed great tho, but agree it takes better timing and more rhythym to make the serve work than w. the x1...the t10 hits a heavier more piercing ball than the x1 and the x1 is more maneuverable in general. feelwise you can feel the ball on the strings more w. the t10 and I was feeling the hit more in the handle with the X1 (which wasnt a bad thing..just unusual). i seemed to have a little more precise control with the x1, but more juice with the t10, and actually got more work on my serve w. the t10 than the x1 after i learned how to use it. assume we are discussing the original t10mp amd not the Gen2

montx
05-30-2005, 03:59 PM
thanks to all for the input. I am finding the volkl to be a great racquet. I was thinking if i should use two different racquets or just stick with one. I am going very well with the volkl, so should i forget trying out the x-1?

montx
05-30-2005, 04:02 PM
I find everything great with the volkl except the serve...will i adjust to it? I don't know, but i am shadow serving a lot, hoping that I will get better with practice. Should I use something like the X-1 for serving, or will I eventually adjust? I don't know please input again.
Thanks kindly

montx
05-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Oh, I am predominantly baseline, though I do approach the net for short balls and such (putaways) and occassional volleys.

TennisMD
05-30-2005, 04:25 PM
montx:

I too was concerned about the serve with the tour 10 MP. I think the TW revieweres did us a misservice in rating it poorly. Yesterday I took a bucket of balls the tour 10MP, the APD and the C10 and the mph was close for all three the c10 actually winning . I think part of the problem is with the muted feel of the tour 10 it is hard to estimate your serve pace unless you have a gun on it. So if it is just serve pace you are concerned about take this into consideration

LafayetteHitter
05-30-2005, 06:49 PM
TennisMD are you talking about the T10 MP Gen 2 or Gen 1? I found the Gen 2 to serve like a dream. I never could quite get my serve going with the Gen 1. I have not hit with the X1 as the wait for a demo is always quite long here at TW, but hopefully sooner or later I can try one out for kicks.

Scott

BreakPoint
05-30-2005, 09:24 PM
montx,
Do you want us to compare the T10 GenI or GenII to the X-1 because your sig says that you currently use the GenII? The GenI and GenII are very differnet racquets IMHO. The X-1 is stiffer than both and has a different feel. The X-1 and GenII are better for serve and volley play than the GenI but the GenI is better for baseline play than either as it is more powerful.

montx
05-30-2005, 11:21 PM
First off TennisMD I agree the Tour 10 Gen II has a muted feel. It is also a little bit of the static weight I think. Yes Breakpoint I am asking to compare the Gen II to the X-1. Also, if i should use a different racquet to serve.

LafayetteHitter
05-30-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't know if I understand what you mean by using a different racquet to serve. But I will say that the Gen 2 served bombs for me but your mechanics must be smooth. I found that on the occasion when I would accidently move my head a bit instead of keeping my head up and looking at the ball all the way through my service motion I would lose quite a bit of pace with the Gen 2. Luckily my service motion is quite consistent these days and I have found the Gen 2 to be a steady weapon. Actually looks like it will be my new racquet.

Mies
05-31-2005, 01:19 AM
I hit with both the Gen I and Gen II (and own the Gen II) and could serve equally well with both. I had no problems generating pace on serves with the Gen I. Moving from the Gen I to the Gen II made me adjust my rythm a bit, but this was only a matter of serving a few games. As Lafayethitter says, if you have good mechanics on the serve, the Gen II is a very fine serve weapon. Then again, I feel the same way about the Gen I.

Regards

montx
05-31-2005, 12:33 PM
I hope I adjust well to the serve. On paper the x-1 and the volkl seem very similar. It is hard to imagine they say the x-1 is a serve and volley racquet while the volkl is baseline. what is the fundamental difference?

NoBadMojo
05-31-2005, 01:10 PM
gen2 = much bigger sweetspot and softer more arm friendly feel than the X1. power levels=similar, control=similar and swingweight=similar i believe, and give an edge to the Gen2 in spin.

BreakPoint
05-31-2005, 02:03 PM
I hope I adjust well to the serve. On paper the x-1 and the volkl seem very similar. It is hard to imagine they say the x-1 is a serve and volley racquet while the volkl is baseline. what is the fundamental difference?

montx,
I think you keep confusing the GenI with the GenII. You cannot just say "the Volkl", or even "the Volkl Tour 10", or even "the Volkl Tour 10 MP". You HAVE TO specify the "Volkl Tour 10 MP GenI" or the "Volkl Tour 10 MP GenII", because they are very different racquets IMHO. As I mentioned above, I feel the GenI is better for baseline play but the GenII is better for serve and volley play, as is the X-1. The difference is that the GenII is more headlight and swings lighter, therefore, it's more maneuverable for net play, but the GenI is stiffer, less headlight, and thus more powerful, which is what you need from the baseline.

kv581
05-31-2005, 04:16 PM
I would like to add something about Gen II's feel. IMO, Gen II plays soft but it's not really muted. To me, there's a difference between the two feels. Racquets that feel muted tou me include i.Prestige, some of the Head Radicals, and (from what I've heard) Pro X1; these are stiffer racqets that employ dampening technology (in the handle or elsewhere) to make the racquet less harsh. The resulting feel is usually pretty comfortable, but perhaps not as "sweet." As a result, there is at times a feeling of detachment from the ball your are hitting.

On the other hand, flexible racquets such as Tour 10 Gen II or PT280 are comfortable also, but they seem to retain more of the "sweetness" when you do find the sweetspot. The trade off is that these racquets are predictably lower powered. Take Tour 10 Gen II for example. I really admire the racquet for its touch and deftness at the net, but its stick volleys don't seem to have as much juice as my i.Prestige or even POG OS (which is pretty flexible also but has more overall mass). I attribute this to its headlightness and flex. This is not necessarily a bad thing, IMO, but it does mean you need to firm up your arm a bit if you want to punch your volleys.

On the other hand, maybe I am just being picky with the terminologies here. I would love to hear what others think.

BTW, for what it's worth, I think Tour 10 Gen II is very good for both S&V and off the ground. Not the best in either category perhaps, but very good all-court. It's a good, balanced stick to work with. Also, I don't think it's a good idea for serve with one racquet and receive with another. If you absolutely must play with 2 different racquets, stick with 1 per match.

TennisMD
05-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Lafayette Hitter: Talking about the gen 1. Hit tonight off night but of the three mentioned Tour 10 MP, c10 PRO and the N Code 6.1 95 liked the N code the best, arm felt fine the whole time

montx
06-01-2005, 09:23 AM
For clarification i don't know anything about Gen I, so what i am talking about is Gen II and X-1.

thanks