PDA

View Full Version : ADD and/or ADHD

magiset
04-18-2004, 08:09 PM
How many people here are on ADD or ADHD medication?

Why? E.p.: you were perscribed it, weight loss, for the other side-effects, etc.

This is pre-investigation for a qualitative survey, so please lie. :P

Deuce
04-18-2004, 10:13 PM
The numerous 'disorders' which have surfaced suddenly over the past 10 or 15 years are in large part B.S. created by a psychiatric industry which is much more keen on financial gain than on the well-being of individuals.

What these 'professionals' are doing to children in particular with their incessant pill pushing would be outlawed in any truly civilized country.

One fact of life is that individuals differ. This is true for children and adults alike. Today, however, differences are not accepted, as the strong tendency is toward creating a homogenized society as much as possible. Thus, the invention of 'diseases' and 'disorders' for anyone who does not fit nicely within the narrow parameters of what is considered 'normal'. If a kid has a short attention span, he must have a 'disorder', and need 'fixing' - because the other option is that he's simply bored because he is not being challenged. It's far easier to place the responsibility on the child, instead of where it truly belongs. 95% of the so called 'learning disabilities' among children are, in fact, teaching and parenting disabilities...

jun
04-19-2004, 03:21 PM
maybe diagonsis of ADD and other mental disorders are given too easily without more careful examinations, although I think the diagnosis are pretty accurate..

But in real case of people having these mental disorders, it's a different situation. It's not matter of being different from other people. It's a matter of making one's life a bit better, and in some cases a lot better. Look at people with depression,ADD and other disorders. Medications are proven to be extremely effective for treating depression. Of course, having side effects is a different story, and people are allowed to make decision whether they want to go on with medications or depression.

This is a rather personal question, and some people may not be comfortable revealing their health related issue. I am sure you can find a study done on people with disorders

Morpheus
04-19-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't think ADHD is as much a problem for posters as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), given how often many of us check the board for updates.

Deuce, I agree that many kids are given a label that may or may not be valid, but there are bona fide disorders that need treatment. The problem is that most psychiatric illnesses are diagnosed clinically--there is no definitive test (e.g., x-ray) and with the high morbidity of some disorders (ADHD/Anxiety or Anxiety/Depression, etc), proper diagnosis and treatment can be very challenging. I wouldn't be so quick to pin all behavioral problems on parents or teachers. Executive function is significantly lacking in many kids (and adults) that leads to real attentional difficulties and just as you can't tell a clinically depressed patient to "cheer up," you can't tell a true ADHD patient to "pay attention." (actually, you can tell them these things, but don't expect much improvement).

Magiset: Not sure what your after, but you might try the following link: http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/psycho/

There is more info here than just about anywhere else and you can ask your questions on the bulletin board. For ADHD specific info, you can try CHADD or just google it.

David Pavlich
04-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Deuce: Good stuff...again!

Here's a great test (this comes from Neal Boortz): Put a kid in a room that is alleged to have ADD with a Play Station. There's an excellent chance that this supposed problem child will be quite content for a couple of hours without having a case of the heebee geebees.

The docs always say that there is proof because the kids have been changed after taking the drugs. Well duh!? Of course you can change ANYONE'S behavior with certain drugs.

IT'S A BEHAVIORAL PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pharmecologically, ridlin is on a par with cocaine. And this is supposed to be good for the kids? Did you know that if a young man/woman enlists in the military that has taken ridlin and the recruiter is aware, the applicant is turned down? That's got to make you say, hmmmmmmmm.

David

@wright
04-28-2004, 08:05 PM
I agree that way too many people in today's society are medicated for ADD/ADHD and other afflictions. At least half the people I work with are medicated.

Rod K
04-28-2004, 11:16 PM
If what David says about being turned down for the military due to being on ridlin, I'd say it's getting close to the time where the younger guys may want to consider seeking an ADHD diagnosis, and getting on the meds, for as often as I've heard the D-word coming up lately.

@wright
04-29-2004, 06:09 AM
Alot of high school kids are being diagnosed adhd/add so they can have extra time on standardized tests like the ACT.

Rick Streeter
04-29-2004, 06:49 AM
I am a teacher,coach,paramedic. My wife is a masters level psychologist. We deal with this all the time and I have to agree that most kids are drugged unnecessarily. I have had many on Ritilin that have been taken off in the course of my Chemistry class and I have seen a marked IMPROVEMENT in attention and grades. To truely have a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD in the states you must have an MD diagnosis it. Many times parents will go to their local LPC or psychologist friend and get their OPINION and then take it to their pedi or family practice doc and get the script for the drugs----no testing, exam, etc. I am not saying all docs do this but it is my experience.

Rick

Morpheus
04-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know why ritalin improves attention span?

Morpheus
04-29-2004, 05:48 PM
I thought as much.

Anyone have kids diagnosed (by a P-Doc) with ADHD?

Rod K
04-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Ritalin is a stimulant, and stimulants tend to have a sort-of reverse affect on ADHD types in that it slows them down (instead of stimulating them). How or why it does this, I believe, is a mystery, much like how many other drugs do what they do--they just tend to work, so doctors use them.

In 27 years as an educator I've seen different drugs work wonders for the ability for some kids to focus, learn, and get their lives together. As with any drug, other avenues should be used to deal with the problem first.

@wright
04-30-2004, 05:35 AM
It's kind of like how you give depressed people a depressant, like a bottle of whiskey.

Rod K
05-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Wright,
I'm not sure I follow your last comment. It sounds as if the overall jist of your argument is that you personally don't benefit from any kind of medication, therefore it's not possible for others to benefit?

Brian Purdie
05-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Magiset: You probably want to do a Medline or Ovid search to find better studies on this subject. I doubt a tennis site is the best place for info.

Deuce: The medical community used to think ADHD was a bogus diagnosis by overzealous doctors and parents. I actually worked for two days with a woman named Doris Greenburg here in Savannah for a couple of days during my Pediatric rotation in medical school. She did her training in pediatrics, but found a narrowing of her practice to children's bahavioral needs in the 80's. You could see how anyone would be skeptical of the condition and its need for treatment, as was I. What Dr. Greenburg did in the early 80's was investgate the condition and assist in writing what details entail a child to be diagnosed with ADHD. It was by luck that Ritalin, actually an amphetamine used to treat narcaleptics, actually had a paradoxical effect on these children. A study in 1990 revealed what many had beleived, but were unable to scientifically prove. Nerve conduction and neurotransmitter activity was significantly higher in the frontal brain region (coincidently, this region also happens to control most of our personality). This study has been reproduced with enough accuracy by others to breed a concensus among neuroanatomists, and thus the pediatricians prescibing the medication. What I learned from Dr. Greenburg was that most pediatricians are not apt in thoroughly diagnosing the condition. It requires a questionnaire to nearly every authority figure with whom the child is left alone for a few hours a week. The behavior has to exist in every activity, not merely the ones that may bore a child.

Morpheus
05-01-2004, 08:54 PM
I don't thing Wright was saying anything deep, just playing on the stimulant for overstimulated kids idea. The reality is, though, that alcohol is a depressant and it doesn't do anything helpful for depressed patients other than provide for a means of escape.

Ritalin is a stimulant and it activates the area of the brain that controls executive function (pre-frontal cortex). The pre-frontal cortex is found to be underactive in ADHD kids. There are also structural anomalies that indicate ADHD is much more than merely behavioral (i.e., bad parenting, bad kids and other causes suggested by some here), although the symptoms are behavioral and the diagnosis is clinical.

Fact is, Ritalin works and for many ADHD kids it means the difference between learning and failing. You can oppose Ritalin if you like, but god help you if you should have a child that is truly ADHD. Then you're beliefs will really be tested, because the parenting job is infinitely more difficult with ADHD in the household. The irony is that its hereditary, so one or more parents are likely to have it as well. Talk about chaos and, yes, I am speaking from personal experience.

@wright
05-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Morpheus has it right, deep is dangerous! Rod, I wasn't drawing any inane conclusions like that, all I was noting was the high percentage of people in an environment that are drugged. For some people, medications are the only hope for leading a normal life, but for others, it is a crutch to lean on. I have a family member who I believe uses the condition as a crutch and would be much better off if dealt some tough love instead of prescriptions of stratera. People go through ups and downs, and I believe most people are experiencing healthy ups and downs that are completely normal, not time to go to the shrink...