PDA

View Full Version : Yonex Tour XF vs RDX 500MP vs Mp Tour-5

Hack
05-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Currently using MP 2i- but find it lacking in control and touch particularly when on service returns from big servers. Primarily a doubles player (i.e mostly serve and volley)- don't want to give up too much power but would like better control. Any thoughts as to what might be a better choice between Tour XF, RDX 500MP or MP Tour-5

monologuist
05-30-2005, 11:41 AM
coming from the mp2i, I'd say your best bet is probably the MP Tour-5....the RDX-500 is gonna feel pretty heavy to you compared to your current stick....try to demo it to make sure though....it's also gonna be quite a bit lower powered than the mp2i.....the Tour-5 will be a definite improvement in control and touch ...it is alos pretty low-powered, unless you add a little lead to the head (which works very well on that frame, but again, you'll be dealing with a heavier swinging stick)...more pop than the rdx-500 though. THe Tour-5 is extended length too, as is the mp2i right? so that will be an easy transition...the Tour-5's strength is serving....incredible serving stick

Kevo
05-31-2005, 08:23 AM
Well, the problem is you want control and touch when returning big serves, but you want good power on ground strokes. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just don't see that happening. I have been know to serve big on occasion, and when I'm serving well, even really good returners have trouble keeping their returns from flying long or shanking due to the power.

I don't think your racquet is going to help much unless you go a lot heavier, but that will affect the rest of your game. I would work on learning how to effectively block those big serves back with some control by shortening your swing a lot, or chipping it back low. Returning big serves is just a difficult thing to do. That's why everyone wants to hit a serve at 150mph like Roddick. :-)

backcourt
05-31-2005, 01:51 PM
The Tour 5 may be a good match for you. It has nice control, is very spinny, and I suspect a bit less powerful than the 2i. I am pretty tall and decided I dont like extra length racquets, so I have a 4 5/8 Tour 5 in good condition I will let go for $50 including shipping in continental u.s. email me if interested: skiten44@yahoo.com

hummer23
05-31-2005, 06:34 PM
rdx 500 mp is my curretn frame, its a great racquet. not as demanding as many frames, and has great pop and control. out of the three you mentioned, its the best all aroudn racquet. it will challendge you do improve. i'd say definantly demo it. also, its quite stable on hard returns, and return of serves.