PDA

View Full Version : Identifying hard weaves

Player 1
09-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi everyone,
I was watching yulitle's video about hardweaves but how do you identify a hardweave?

armsty
09-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Usually just the last cross, or a cross which is difficult, hard, for you to weave, then when you put tension on it, there is a lot of friction.

dancraig
09-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Hi everyone,
I was watching yulitle's video about hardweaves but how do you identify a hardweave?

A hard weave is when you must weave over a raised main and under a lowered main.
This is why we like to "weave one ahead". The "ahead" cross, that is just there-untensioned, staggers the mains. This causes the next weave to be an easier weave. It is easier, and not "hard", because you are weaving over a lowered main and under a raised main.
This enables you too push, or pull, the string in a much straighter line. Without so much up and down action.

Ash_Smith
09-06-2010, 12:48 AM
^^^ what he said.

Ash

Player 1
09-06-2010, 06:08 PM
A hard weave is when you must weave over a raised main and under a lowered main.
This is why we like to "weave one ahead". The "ahead" cross, that is just there-untensioned, staggers the mains. This causes the next weave to be an easier weave. It is easier, and not "hard", because you are weaving over a lowered main and under a raised main.
This enables you too push, or pull, the string in a much straighter line. Without so much up and down action.

ok so a hard weave just means its difficult to snake through? I don't really understand right now.. I'm getting my stringing machine later in the week so maybe I would understand when I string?

jim e
09-06-2010, 06:26 PM
ok so a hard weave just means its difficult to snake through? I don't really understand right now.. I'm getting my stringing machine later in the week so maybe I would understand when I string?

Look at it this way.
The 1st strings installed in a racquet are the main strings.
Then the cross strings are woven across the main strings.
When you apply tension to the cross string it will raise up the main string slightly that the cross string goes under, and lower the main string slightly that the cross string goes over.
Now if you weave the next cross string you will be weaving over a main string that is already in a higher position, and going under a main that is low as well (this is referred to a hard weave) . If you install another cross string ahead of this (this is weaving one ahead) , you will be going over a lower main, and under a raised main, which is called a soft weave, as it is easier. You will see this very easily once you string that 1st racquet.

Irvin
09-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Here is another example. I quesitoned whether or not a Vortex racket was strung properly one time and called Prince because I could not find the answer. Prince's stringer told me the crosses started with a hard weave, which means they go over the high mains and under the low mains.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2lcphck.jpg

This is not a Prince racket but you should get the idea.

Irvin

stringwalla
09-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Don't really deal with hard/easy weaves anymore except for racquetball but yeah, if there is any staggering in the mains, the hard weave is when the first approached main is higher if going over or lower if going under than the level of the X hole-

The above pic is a great example-

struggle
09-15-2010, 09:30 AM
think of it as a weaving loom.

on a loom, they are always doing an "easy' weave.