PDA

View Full Version : ALTA Players - What's for lunch?

chollyred
09-07-2010, 06:41 AM
Seeing as this will be our first season (Men's Doubles), what does the home team typically bring to eat? I know some teams go all out. Some don't do a lot. What to do? What to do?

Gotta get something together before Saturday.

bcart1991
09-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Men's teams are usually pretty spartan. Chips, wings, doughnuts, water/gatorade/beer. Maybe cook burgers or hot dogs if there's a grill next to the courts.

Mixed/ladies season usually goes more all-out than men's with regard to food.

We've become lucky enough to have one of the ladies from our mixed team volunteer to make our food this season. Woot.

spot
09-07-2010, 07:24 AM
for the 10 people I put:

Line 1 Water
Line 1 Cooler + Bag of Ice
Line 2 Gatorade
Line 2 Bananas (all the stuff that needs to be there early)
Line 3 Donuts
Line 3 Sandwiches
Line 4 Chips
Line 4 Sandwiches
Line 5 Any other side item
Line 5 Sandwiches

Basically this means that all the "necessary" stuff is there for the early lines and the food shows up later. Sandwiches are always the thing that goes first so we have 3 people bring them. In my experience guys don't ever eat dessert stuff. We used to put people on coke but that stuff never got drank so now we don't bother with it.

SmoothOperator
09-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Sandwiches - Subs or Hamburgers/Dogs.
Drinks - Water, Gatorade and lots of Beer.
Fruit - Bananas.
Chips.

Anything else will not get eaten.

polski
09-07-2010, 09:29 AM
My fondest memory of an ALTA match was during the fall men's season when a GT grad brought his RV to the ALTA match. He had satellite TV so he played Gameday underneath the awning.

Tech had a 3PM kick that day & when the match was over he took several of his teammates down to the game. I had a ticket to the game too, so I rode with them & tailgated at Bobby Dodd.

That was one of the all time great tennis Saturdays.

spt
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Spot is pretty dead on if you are looking to get a good consistent spread at each match, but I have found that it really varies team to team. I have also found an inverse relationship between quality of food and the level of play - the higher you level the less food that makes it to the match. Once you hit AA, you are lucky to see a box of donuts.

Years ago played on a team that the captain only instructed everyone to bring beer and donuts. Had another team that the captain required everyone to bring enough beer for yourself and your exact counterpart on the other team. So if you were going to drink a six pack, you needed to bring 12.

OrangePower
09-07-2010, 02:06 PM
for the 10 people I put:

Line 1 Water
Line 1 Cooler + Bag of Ice
Line 2 Gatorade
Line 2 Bananas (all the stuff that needs to be there early)
Line 3 Donuts
Line 3 Sandwiches
Line 4 Chips
Line 4 Sandwiches
Line 5 Any other side item
Line 5 Sandwiches

Basically this means that all the "necessary" stuff is there for the early lines and the food shows up later. Sandwiches are always the thing that goes first so we have 3 people bring them. In my experience guys don't ever eat dessert stuff. We used to put people on coke but that stuff never got drank so now we don't bother with it.

Where's the beer ?!?

In my league, not having beer is a cardinal sin!

Angle Queen
09-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Holy Cow!

I play in a weekday (non-USTA) league called "Suburban"...but I affectionately call it the....Ladies Who Lunch (but play tennis first) League. We bring a "snack": drinks (all non-alcoholic), fruit, salty and sweet. Some of the spreads are quite nice...but nothing on the order of what Spot has outlined.

Dang. I wanna come play at one of your matches. I'd even be willing to bring the whole deal one time. :-)

philxor
09-07-2010, 04:52 PM
We generally do something similar to what Spot outlined, except add beer to 3 of the lines. :)

thejuice
09-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Sub-sandwiches
Chips
Gatorade
Bottled water
and I guess beer.

Guys keep it REAL simple. I went to a ladies match once and they had a homemade cheese dip, an elegant fruit spread, croissants, sweet tea, etc. Just look at the food section of Net News (ALTA's quarterly mag for you non-Atlantans). That will give you an idea of what the ladies bring and what the guys don't.

On another note, I find it funny that most guys expect beer after their matches. I never really thought tennis and beer went together. Golf and beer are a perfect match to me but tennis and beer? Now, I'm not saying I will turn down a cold one but I just couldn't drink a whole six pack after playing a match.

spot
09-07-2010, 06:20 PM
For how much beer is consumed at our matches it would be supremely unfair to put a couple people down for beer and force them to carry the whole load. And when people see someone down as being required to bring beer they don't bring any of their own. Normally when we don't put people down for beer then enough beer shows up- plus we play on Saturdays so if we need to make a midmatch beer run its not an issue.

IF you are going to put someone down to bring beer don't make the rookie mistake of forcing the line 5 guys bring beer that they won't be able to drink!

Z-Man
09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I once played on a team with a guy who thought his nickname was "grapes" because the captain wrote that beside his name in an email.

Like "spt" said, at the lower levels people really roll out the red carpet. If you're playing AA1, don't line up for a cheeseburger--those are for the B2 team playing on the court next to you. I think every team should at least provide water and bananas. I have young kids, so I've been known to show up with whatever is around the house--goldfish, juice treats, little boxes of raisins, etc....

chollyred
09-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think we have most everything covered. Won't be a spread, but nobody should be hungry.

Now I can hardly wait for our first "away" match to see what they do.

spot
09-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Also- as captain you need to bring the "standard" stuff- plates, napkins, plastic plates and cups. Normally this gets jammed back into a shopping bag and left in the trunk of my car.

Lefty5
09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Seeing as this will be our first season (Men's Doubles), what does the home team typically bring to eat? I know some teams go all out. Some don't do a lot. What to do? What to do?

Gotta get something together before Saturday.

BEER, COOLERS, ICE, and BEER.

Gemini
09-23-2010, 12:23 PM
I try to encourage folks to bring sandwiches, fruit (strawberries, grapes, bananas), chips, cookies... Though most of the guys I work with wouldn't turn down a beer, they usually play out of public parks which have "iffy" rules about open containers in the park.

Oh...and COFFEE!!!!!!!!

AutoXer
09-26-2010, 07:04 AM
For the women, it seems rain, lots of rain is for lunch today.

Lex
09-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Beer, soft drinks, ice, cups, napkins, pretzels, chips!!

chollyred
09-27-2010, 03:00 AM
Had our first away match Saturday. The home team was a good bunch of guys, but their table was a little lacking. They had chips, soda, bananas, and a couple of dozen doughnuts. So far that's been pretty much the norm for the season. I haven't seen anyone put on a spread yet. I haven't seen anyone have a beer yet.

While the team won, we lost my line (7-6, 6-3) and defaulted line 5 when one of the guys didn't show up. We almost defaulted my line when my partner was late. Really hacked me off. I'm one of those people that would rather be a hour early than 10 minutes late for anything.

After losing the tie breaker, we really started pushing too hard. We beat ourselves.

Gemini
09-27-2010, 04:23 AM
Had our first away match Saturday. The home team was a good bunch of guys, but their table was a little lacking. They had chips, soda, bananas, and a couple of dozen doughnuts. So far that's been pretty much the norm for the season. I haven't seen anyone put on a spread yet. I haven't seen anyone have a beer yet.

While the team won, we lost my line (7-6, 6-3) and defaulted line 5 when one of the guys didn't show up. We almost defaulted my line when my partner was late. Really hacked me off. I'm one of those people that would rather be a hour early than 10 minutes late for anything.

After losing the tie breaker, we really started pushing too hard. We beat ourselves.

Well..at this state of the season, every match counts since it's total points that determines which teams make it to the playoffs. Defaulting a line was one of the most dreaded things for me when I was captaining. If you can't make it and you know ahead of time, give me some notice so I can bring in a back up. Even if you just don't feel like playing.

AutoXer
09-27-2010, 07:06 AM
We played a team that every person brought a 12pack. They claimed they had never run out of beer. We left right after the very last beer was opened. They couldn't believe all the beer was gone. That's only a 6pack per person. LOL

Great group of guys to play tennis with. Had a lot of fun.

JackB1
09-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Played a team this week that only brought soda as the only beverage. No water...no gatorade..no beer...just SODA! Who the heck wants to drink soda right after a long match???

spot
09-27-2010, 07:26 AM
We don't even bring soda to the matches anymore since no one drinks it. For a while we kept up the charade by bringing the same 2 liters to every match but once we made it through a season without opening them then we stopped.

I ran a big round robin on Friday night at Dekalb and since I wanted it to be a fun night I included beer as part of the fee. For 56 people I thought that 8 cases would be sufficient since it was people having a couple drinks WHILE they are playing. Nope- all the beer was gone by the end.