PDA

View Full Version : How can I try all these racquets?!?

Zoroaster
04-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Everyone says, try all the racquets before you buy them. I definitely agree with this, but how plausable is it?? I mean you have mid, mid-plus and oversize, and then there are string tension, strings. Maybe you try a racquet that could be perfect for you with the right srings, right tension, and right size, but say you demo it at a different tension and oversize, then you decide no, this isn't for me; you just missed out!

How can I honestly find a racquet for me when there are so many racquets and variations of racquets? Thanks

Brad :?

brijoel
04-18-2004, 11:19 PM
you need to know exactly what you want out of your racquet and what works specifically for your game. yes, we all suggest a ton of things, but realistically though....you need to know what you personally prefer when you are looking through stats. while there are hundreds of racquets out there, there will be one close for you. it does take a certain amount of experience to properly choose a racquet that feels good to you.
in my past experiences A LOT of people dont have any clue as to what they really like or what will actually be better for them in the end as they usually like to go off whatever looks the coolest, or what they see their friends and a few pros on TV using.

bismark
04-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Consult Benjamin Bishop. He's the expert.

jun
04-20-2004, 02:04 PM
well don't take it so literally.

Talk to some people here or teaching pro. They will give you some recommandations. Pick a couple or a few out of it, and try them out. You will likely to figure out, whether you want more power, heavier/lighter, different feel etc. If you are not hitting sweetspot consistently, then you will want to give a shot at oversize racket (generally a racket comes in MP version and OS version). If you want more power on serves, you can try longbody that's close to the racket you like.

I admit, it can be a long/expensive process. It's not as bad as you think. If you are just starting out, i won't be too concerened, just pick something that gives you good power, forgiving and not injury prone. After a while, you will be able to tell how racket "feels" then you want to go a little deeper in searching.

You can do what Ben is doing...The positive side is, you will get to try every single racket available on the market. The negative side is, you will never be able to make your mind up. It's like having 100 people telling you 80 different things that you should do.
And you will end up spending unnecessary moneny. You demo 10 rackets, it's 200 bucks. You demo 20 rackets, it's 400 bucks. You could have taken 40 dollar private lesson 5 or 10 times..

I admit that rackets can improve certain shots. But once you reach 4.0, it's pretty much your stroke, not the racket. You've got to stick with it to have trust in your racket, and more importantly, you will have faith in your strokes.

rooski
04-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Consult Benjamin Bishop. He's the expert.

Well, ....lets just say he demo's a lot of rackets and has his opinions.

Smashlob
04-20-2004, 05:08 PM
My solution to trying demos, and this sometimes works better than other times.

Find a friend or a local coach that uses the racquet, and ask them if you can borrow it for a couple of days. That's how I discovered my Dunlop 300g from my good ol' Wilson 5.9HC Hammer

'ave it!!
04-21-2004, 10:17 AM
You definetly need to know what head size you require first and have a good idea on what you want your racket to do for you.

String can be easily tried out especially if you string for yourself.

D-man
02-07-2005, 10:45 PM
I've often wondered this myself. It seems to me the best thing is to find a local store that puts your demo money towards your racket... there's one here that does that. Five dollars each racket for one day but it all goes toward your purchase. $180 racket = 36 rackets demoed. As far as the tension and string-type goes, it comes from experience. You just have to experiment... same with lead tape. Often lead tape turns a racket into a whole nuther racket. I don't think there's any easy road, but it helps to know where you're headed. It can be a frustrating experience for some, myself included; sometimes every light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be another train. But that's the way it is, love or leave it, like or lump it. It's a journey not for the faint of heart, but you may as well enjoy the ride... you can't expect to run with the big dogs without gettin' off the porch. Or you may end up doin' like my mammy always told me, "If at first you don't succeed, try lowering your standards." Best of luck to you, Zoroaster. By the way, welcome to the forum, "'ave it!!".