PDA

View Full Version : Material Science for the Triple Threat Bandit

erik-the-red
05-30-2005, 05:05 PM
A stock Triple Threat Bandit weights in at 9.9 ounces and is 6 points head heavy. Even though it is below 10 ounces strung, if you hold it parallel to the ground the head-heaviness causes a high swingweight and thus the sensation of a "heavier" racquet.

I modded mine to have an unknown amount of lead tape at 3 and 9 along with a little over 2 ounces of fishing weights in the handle. The Post Office scale reads 12.3 ounces.

Yet, it feels SO light, not at all 12.3 ounces.

I have a weighted 12.1 ounce Triple Threat Graphite that feels much, much heavier.

Why is this so?

MChong
05-30-2005, 05:25 PM
You should try comparing it to another 12oz racquet; I recall reading that the TT Graphite had an unusually high swingweight to it...

Z-Man
05-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Sounds like most of the weight you added is in the handle. (2 oz is a lot) I'll bet you made it extremely headlight. Figure the midpoint, balance the racquet on a pencil, and see how many points headlight it is. (one point for every 1/8 inch past the midpoint).

How does it play? I used to play with the TT Bandit and still have a bunch of them. Great comfortable feel, but a real string breaker. Do you like it weighted up?

erik-the-red
05-31-2005, 04:07 AM
It is very headlight now :)

It plays very nicely. Easily to maneuver.

Michelangelo
05-31-2005, 06:43 AM
Due to the dimension of a racket, adding weight can't be just simplified by being measured by total weight only (that is, treat it as point mass instead of an object). You hafta consider the location where you put the extra weight (that is, equivalently talking about the moment arm). Anyway, one of the tennis store runners has shown me a 14oz Babolat AeroPro Drive customized by him, however, it felt not far away from my 12.6oz nSix-One Tour 90 when I swang it.

erik-the-red
05-31-2005, 07:53 AM
Interesting.

I don't have easy access to an RDC, but I do have to imagine that my customized Bandit may even be 12 points headlight, lending to a "light" feel.

netman
05-31-2005, 09:27 AM
To get a pretty accurate balance, take a wooden dowel or curtain rod at least 1" in diameter and a yardstick. Place the end of the yard stick up against the dowel so the end is at the center point of the dowel. Now balance you racquet on the dowel. Whereever the end of the handle hits the yardstick when the racquet is perfectly balanced is you balance in inches. Its not RDC accurate, but its close enough.

For example, since the Bandit is a 27" frame, if it were 12 pts head light, the end of the handle should fall at 12 inches on the yard stick. It would be greater than 12 inches as it became more head heavy (less head light) and vice versa.