PDA

View Full Version : Not New Cheating Tactic But Still Around

ttbrowne
09-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Opponents looking into their bags at the changeover and not bringing their hands out with anything. It's the old cellphone coach tactic.
Someone sitting in the stands (or close by) is sending messages to the player(s) on the court about what to do. They just check the text message and.....
Nothing you can basically do unless you actually see anything.

OrangePower
09-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Opponents looking into their bags at the changeover and not bringing their hands out with anything. It's the old cellphone coach tactic.
Someone sitting in the stands (or close by) is sending messages to the player(s) on the court about what to do. They just check the text message and.....

I often check my cellphone at changeovers (and I don't try to hide it). But I've never thought to have someone text me coaching advice. For one it's cheating, and for two I don't really think it would help. Doesn't look like on-court coaching helps the women in the WTA any, either :twisted:

Are you sure your opponents are getting coaching advice, as opposed to say catching up on the football scores?

slice bh compliment
09-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Don't they have a rule that the players turn their phones in at the start of the match? Well, I suppose they could have three or four phones in there.

More co-dependency.

polski
09-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I haven't checked the USTA rulebook about cell phone usage during matches. However, our local league does have a rule that states that player's cell phones are to be turned off during matches. It doesn't state what the punishment is, but I would assume a let would be played for a first offense, point penalty any subsequent offense.

I can't imagine adults taking matches so serious that they have coaches sending mid-match advice to them. I could see the over zealous tennis parent doing it during their kids match, but if an adult takes their league match this serious they have some issues. I'd probably just laught at them & keep kicking their butt.

AR15
09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Rarely do we have anyone spectating our matches, and if we did, I doubt they would be anyone with an opinion I would respect.:-?

vagabondma
09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
From friend at court:
USTA Comment 30.1: A player may bring to the Court written notes that
were prepared before the start of thematch andmay read these notes during
the match. A player may not use electronic devices such as cell phones,
digitalmessaging systems, radios,mp3 players, cd and dvd players, cassette
players, and any device capable of receiving communication. Hearing aids and
watches not capable of receiving messages are permitted. A player desiring
to use any other electronic device should first ask the Referee whether the
device may be used.

OrangePower
09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I haven't checked the USTA rulebook about cell phone usage during matches. However, our local league does have a rule that states that player's cell phones are to be turned off during matches. It doesn't state what the punishment is, but I would assume a let would be played for a first offense, point penalty any subsequent offense.

Yeah I completely agree phones should be turned off or silent, just because ringing while a point is in progress would be very distracting.

I can't imagine adults taking matches so serious that they have coaches sending mid-match advice to them. I could see the over zealous tennis parent doing it during their kids match, but if an adult takes their league match this serious they have some issues. I'd probably just laught at them & keep kicking their butt.

Quoted for truth!

Cruzer
09-08-2010, 03:56 PM

If an opponent was doing that during a real, (USTA) match with me I would;

a) be flattered that this guy needs text message coaching to play me in a match,

b) have a hard to keep from laughing that this guy needs text messages to help him get through a USTA match.

philxor
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Does this really happen? I find it really hard to believe rec league players need coaching via text messages? At the level most players are at, they have trouble executing basic shots consistently, let alone changing tactics mid-match...

jswinf
09-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Maybe they were just looking for that package of Twinkies and remembered they scarfed them in the car on the way over.

jatmallet
09-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I agree with the cell phone ban- however, I have to be on call 24/7 for my job, so I will mention it to my opponent at the outset of the match, and gladly play a let or in one case agreed that if my phone rang during a point, I'd give the opponent the point. ( he was insisting I turn the phone off, so I went for the compromise in his favor)

hpaiste
09-11-2010, 05:47 PM
This sounds more like it would happen in juniors than an adult league..... hmmmm

struggle
09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
in adult leagues.....people have other lives, not just tennis.

sure, turning off the phone is the best option, but just turning off the
ringer and taking a peek at changeover is no big deal. the rules allow for plenty of time to do that.

if an on call doctor or whatever must have a ringer on, yeah forfeit the points.

otherwise, coaching is illegal. yes.

slice bh compliment
09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
From friend at court:...... A player may not use electronic devices such as cell phones,
digitalmessaging systems, radios,mp3 players, cd and dvd players, cassette
players, and any device capable of receiving communication. Hearing aids and
watches not capable of receiving messages are permitted. A player desiring
to use any other electronic device should first ask the Referee whether the
device may be used.

That's hilarious. A cassette player is outlawed? But you can use a hearing aid so you coach can whisper some advie...and you are the only one who can hear it. That's pathetic.

If an opponent was doing that during a real, (USTA) match with me I would;

a) be flattered that this guy needs text message coaching to play me in a match,

b) have a hard to keep from laughing that this guy needs text messages to help him get through a USTA match.

LOL, man, exactly. Pathetic.

You know what's even worse? The people who complain that their opponents are getting coached.

I hate to sound like an elitist, but why can't people just play the game and have some freaking fun?

tennis4josh
09-14-2010, 09:37 PM

Are you serious? Were you playing for big prize money?

In USTA officiated matches (districts, sectionals etc) if your phone rings mid-point the opponents win the point.

ProgressoR
09-15-2010, 04:28 AM
I am deleting this post, as it fails to meet the very high quality I have set for myself, and that The Internet has come to expect of me.

ttbrowne
09-16-2010, 10:15 PM
I think most missed the point. You would never know this went on because you would never see, nor hear, the phone. I learned it thru a third party.
And where have some of you been?? Around here USTA tennis is serious business. I've never known it to be otherwise.

polski
09-18-2010, 10:50 AM
I think most missed the point. You would never know this went on because you would never see, nor hear, the phone. I learned it thru a third party.
And where have some of you been?? Around here USTA tennis is serious business. I've never known it to be otherwise.

What kind of prize do you get for winning your USTA league? I have won a long sleeve t-shirt, a duffel bag, and a few plastic bag tags. Several times we have played for a round of beers after a match. None of these prizes would be worth me cheating for.

But that's just me, I don't cheat. Maybe you guys do. It doesn't sound fun. To me, league tennis is for fun.

philxor
09-18-2010, 01:15 PM

We're serious, but if I played somewhere where people took league tennis that seriously, I wouldn't play.

sphinx780
09-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Unless you can catch them in the act, not much you can do.

That being said, if someone is cheating in what is essentially a beer league for us never-beens...then I'd feel sorry for them over anything. If you need to cheat that badly at this level, it's rare you are going to have the skills to pull it off.

Winky
09-24-2010, 03:13 AM
That being said, if someone is cheating in what is essentially a beer league for us never-beens...then I'd feel sorry for them over anything.

I would go so far as to say that anyone who feels the need to cheat in such a league should seek a psychotherapist immediately.

Bedrock
09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
What is the problem???

JasonPlaysTennis
09-24-2010, 02:51 PM
So far for my Jr. College fall season my personal coach has texted me several times during matches. (In general you're only supposed to get coaching from the team's coach) I don't see it as cheating because in NJCAA it does not flat out spell things out as much as the USTA does.

thejuice
10-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Let me ask a question of the rules gurus...what if you have a friend to keep stats for you during a match and they simply tell you how many DFs you have or how many UFEs? Is that coaching and if it is...is it okay to have that person even keep your stats? I have started asking a close friend to watch my matches and to keep track of my DFs, Aces, UFEs and winners. It has been a tremendous help for me to focus more on targets than hitting the snot out of the ball (at those targets, lol).

decades
10-04-2010, 07:44 PM

that guy takes this stuff way too seriously. then again, so do you.

polski
10-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Let me ask a question of the rules gurus...what if you have a friend to keep stats for you during a match and they simply tell you how many DFs you have or how many UFEs? Is that coaching and if it is...is it okay to have that person even keep your stats? I have started asking a close friend to watch my matches and to keep track of my DFs, Aces, UFEs and winners. It has been a tremendous help for me to focus more on targets than hitting the snot out of the ball (at those targets, lol).

See page 30: http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_4198.pdf

You can bring written notes to a match, but can not receive messages during a match.

thejuice
10-05-2010, 05:49 PM
See page 30: http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_4198.pdf

You can bring written notes to a match, but can not receive messages during a match.

Thanks!!!

10 char