PDA

View Full Version : Line calling using impact sensitive paint

tennisdad65
09-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I recollect that years back there was a company who obtained a patent for a transparent impact sensitive paint to help with line calling (on hardcourts only?). A 6-12 inch band of transparent paint adjacent/over the lines which would leave a ball mark for about 30 seconds.

Anyone know or hear about the company recently? I guess that they could not implement it reliably or it would be in use or advertised by now.

spacediver
09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
would it be able to differentiate foot impact from ball impact?

tennisdad65
09-09-2010, 01:56 PM
would it be able to differentiate foot impact from ball impact?

good point .. probably not, but if the impact print disappears in 30 seconds, the only possible interference is through current points foot impacts.

It would be very useful for calling serves in/out involving big server's.

sureshs
09-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Good question about ball vs foot.

Also what about foot after the serve?

Nuke
09-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Sounds like a great idea, if it works as stated. The problem of confusing foot and ball marks doesn't bother me -- that's just the same as on clay courts, where the marks DO help.

fuzz nation
09-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Haven't heard of this special paint, but I don't think that tennis needs it. Everyone can probably agree on wanting to "get it right" in terms of making calls in a match, but even an impact sensitive paint doesn't relieve any of us from the responsibility of making an immediate call when we see a ball as landing "out".

Think about it - even on clay courts where the ball routinely makes a mark unless it lands squarely on the tape, we still need to make an "out" call without delay or continue playing the point. Part of the responsibility of competing in an unofficiated tennis match is about displaying the integrity to make honest calls and also respecting an opponent's calls on your shots.

We can't keep pausing every third or fourth ball to check a mark and even on clay courts, it's bad sportsmanship to go looking for a mark after every close call. The pros waste too much time having the chair umpire confirm the calls on clay courts as it is - they ought to have the same challenge system as with hard courts and the "shot spot" system in my opinion.

I understand the idea behind this funky paint, but I think the sport is better off with its participants taking up the responsibility with line calls. For the masses, I prefer the guidelines included in the rules and "the code" which encourage all players to assume that any ball is in unless they are sure that it's out.