PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Racket Half Strung

redfist1000
09-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Is it possible to start stringing on a racket and leave it to finish later, or will consequences such as warping occur? If so are there specific time points when I can and for how long can I leave it? Thanks in advance!

redfist1000
09-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm using a Klippermate by the way, if it makes a difference

esgee48
09-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Not a good idea. You could leave the frame for a time, but you should not leave it for hours. Assuming you finished the mains and have no crosses mean that you have a lot of vertical (top to bottom) stresses on the frame. Crosses will keep the frame from bowing out and/or warping. Since you have only a two point system, you have no side support at all.

rich s
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
modern racquet materials will not warp. They are either cracked or not cracked.....

Will a half strung racquet hurt it if left on the stringer?.... no.

Would I do it?...... NO.

Irvin
09-10-2010, 03:46 AM
^^ Agreed it is possible but considered by many to be bad practice. If I had something I had to do I would but most of the time I do not start unless I know I can finish without stopping.

Irivn

star 5 15
09-10-2010, 07:29 PM
modern racquet materials will not warp. They are either cracked or not cracked.....

Will a half strung racquet hurt it if left on the stringer?.... no.

Would I do it?...... NO.

I don't know if i would whole heartedly agree with that. I haven't had issues with racquets warping EXCEPT the wilson nblades. Those were notorious. I would string it normally without leaving the frame on a star 4 and it would do it. Even the kblade does it a little bit, not as severely. BTW I was doing lux alu babolat vs hybrid. It liked to warp especially when i would do gut mains.

Edit: mains and crosses same tension and hand prestretch.

rich s
09-11-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't know if i would whole heartedly agree with that. I haven't had issues with racquets warping EXCEPT the wilson nblades. Those were notorious. I would string it normally without leaving the frame on a star 4 and it would do it. Even the kblade does it a little bit, not as severely. BTW I was doing lux alu babolat vs hybrid. It liked to warp especially when i would do gut mains.

Edit: mains and crosses same tension and hand prestretch.

Don't confuse deflecting under load with warping......they are not the same..... warping implies permenant deformation (usually out of plane)..

I work with composite materials day in and day out..... they deform under load like all other materials but don't expect them to warp like wooden racquets will......