PDA

View Full Version : minimizing pull angle

chrism31889
09-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey guys I just recently purchased a Gamma Progression II stringing machine, and due to my lack of research found out how hard it is to string O3 and EXO racquets on it. I have 2 floating clamps and no starting clamp, and today I was having trouble trying to string my first racquet, a Prince EXO Graphite 100. When stringing the crosses, I found that the string makes a weird angle with the rotational gripper (since the gripper and tension bar is fixed to the base) in that sometimes the string won't even stay on the gripper. I was using the hip technique to keep the racquet in place but still had this problem.

So what I did was readjust the support posts and moved them along the turntable until the angle was a good one. My question is: is this a good idea and will it affect/hurt the racquet/string/tension? I've searched through these forums but I just keep getting more and more confused. Can anyone clarify this for me? Forgive me for being a total stringing newbie :???:

On a side note, whenever after I set the tension and clamp the string, the clamp doesn't stay right next to the frame (i.e. I reach the set tension, clamp the string on the inside of the frame right next to it, move the bar back up, and the clamp moves a little bit away from the frame and towards the center of the face.) Is this normal? Is this the "drawback" or is this because the clamps aren't set tight enough?

Thanks for all help!

chrism31889
09-09-2010, 10:43 PM
might I also add, that this particular machine does not have a table brake. and that the turntable still moves even if i tighten the set screw as much as I possibly can.

Irvin
09-10-2010, 03:43 AM
I am not sure how you mounted your racket but seems to me sooner or later you are going to have the same problem. Try either boomerangs from Prince 1 800 2 TENNIS or use the 2 piece 50/50 method.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Irvin1944#p/a/u/1/hJHwgzRR_gw

Irvin

lionel_101
09-10-2010, 04:40 AM
I gather you have the Gamma Progression II 602, which is sort of like the Gamma X-2, which is the one I have.

The set screw you are trying to tighten is for the turntable bushing and is meant to just add some drag to the turntable. It is not meant to be used as a brake.

Once you have mounted the racquet and begin stringing, you should never be moving the support posts in or out for any reason.

Do as Irvin has suggested, otherwise you will have to use you hip to hold the turntable in place while trying to lower and/or raise the dropweight to tension the strings. Believe me this is not easy to do, especially if you have short arms.

One of the pitfalls of not have a functional brake on your stringing machine.

Irvin
09-10-2010, 06:11 AM
^^ It seems to me using your hip to hold your racket and stringer is place could be very difficult with a table top stringer. I would use the 2 piece 50/50 method if I were you. That way you don't need any tools, brake, hip, or anything.

Start your crosses the same way you do your mains except string the crosses from the center up to the top and then from the center down. You will need to leave one clamp in the center until all your crosses are done at the top half of the racket.

Irvin

lionel_101
09-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Irvin is right, it is very very difficult to use the hip method with a table top stringer like my X-2 or maybe in this case your Gamma Progression II 602.

Besides trying to tension it by reaching way over for the tension bar and dropweight, the actual stringing machine can start to rotate as well. I string my racquetball racquets from 28-38 lbs, so the stress must be even more at 60 - 80 lbs for tennis racquets.

I couldn't string the Elktelon O3 or Head IGS racquets this way and had to take the chance and modified my X-2 to have a screw type brake, which btw works great.

jim e
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Although I use a brake with my machine for these racquets, the article in this months issue of RSI may be of benefit to some stringers here.
The article summary is somewhat as follows:
Special O Port mounting in the tips & techniques column, RSI magazine, Sept. 2010:

When restringing racquets like the Prince O ports, to counteract the rotation when pulling the upper cross strings, one way to mitigate the amount of rotation force you have to counteract, is to mount the racquet off center, by mounting the racquet as far possible towards the handle.This way the tension head doesn't have as much leverage as it would if the racquet was centered between the billiards. As a side benefit, one or more of the crosses that would be above the piviot point will be at or below it, so the turntable will rotate then proper direction when you tension these crosses.
You still have to do something to stop the turntable from turning, but between the lower turning force and the lower # of cross strings that present as a problem, restringing becomes that much easier.
The editors note also stated that Steve Davis of Prince approves this mounting technique .

Above is a summary , sort of.
The entire artcle is in this months issue of RSI magazine. A good magazine to read, comes out 10 times/ year to members of USRSA.

I personally never used this method, I am just passing out this information that was just listed in the latest issue. As I said, I use the nice brake that I have with my machine, as that does the job the easiest for me, but for those that do not have a brake, this technique may be of some benefit.

chrism31889
09-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the insight guys! I will definitely start stringing with the 50/50 method. Does anyone have a link or know a way of making a makeshift brake?

Also can anyone clarify for me the side note about the strings "contracting" after I clamp and take it off the tension wheel?

lionel_101
09-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for all the insight guys! I will definitely start stringing with the 50/50 method. Does anyone have a link or know a way of making a makeshift brake?

Also can anyone clarify for me the side note about the strings "contracting" after I clamp and take it off the tension wheel?

I doubt there is any way to add any kind of brake for you stringing machine. Either a stringing machine comes with one or it doesn't.

I was able to do it on my X-2, because there was enough room to drill and tap for a larger screw. However I could have easily damaged my X-2 beyond repair and by making my mod, I voided any warranty as well. I didn't care and took the chance and got lucky.

It happens to me all the time and I believe it is call drawback as you thought it might be. I believe it happens all the time with floating clamps, but not sure if it happens with fixed clamps.

Irvin
09-11-2010, 03:38 AM
When restringing racquets like the Prince O ports, to counteract the rotation when pulling the upper cross strings, one way to mitigate the amount of rotation force you have to counteract, is to mount the racquet off center, by mounting the racquet as far possible towards the handle...

I think I follow this, I am assuming you are talking about a stringer that does not have self centering 6 and 12 o'clock supports. This would only work on the stringers where you slide the 6 and 12 o'clock supports on a bar individually. This would be impossible on many stringers. Hopefully they still mount the racket at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions on the racket. I can see someone now mounting there frames at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, or even worse off center, and busting a frame.

Irvin

Irvin
09-11-2010, 03:54 AM
^^ BTW that article is on page 47 of RSI's magazine.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/201009/index.html

Irvin