PDA

View Full Version : ALTA starts, looking for?

JWilster
09-10-2010, 06:59 AM
ALTA starts tomorrow for many of us. What are you most looking forward to? Or...NOT looking forward to?

Me, I can't wait. Looking forward to catching up my teammates after several months and winning (of course).

Not looking forward to waiting too long since I am playing at #4. Don't want to miss the start of some college football games.

chollyred
09-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Starting my first ALTA season tomorrow. None of have ever played ALTA before, so they stuck us at a real low C7 level. However, we've all played tennis for years. I may be proved wrong, but I think most of our team is much better than that. I'm stoked!

Playing out of Rockdale Tennis Center.

Wakenslam
09-10-2010, 01:19 PM
If you guys have never played ALTA before then your captain can choose pretty much any level. They don't just "stick you" at a low level automatically. At C7 you'll mostly be playing guys that just picked up a racket before last season! Try playing left handed if you want some competition!

My team just got bumped to AA2 so I'm looking forward to watching some great tennis and getting my butt kicked at the 5 spot!!!

ttocs013
09-10-2010, 04:40 PM
After 5 years on my C1 team where I played line 1 every year I've migrated to an A5 team..

Playing line #4 so I'm just really interested to see what the depth is like after this big of a jump. Should be fun.

jatmallet
09-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I just played my first match today at B6 after playing C6- C5 the last two years, it was a lot of fun- and much better tennis. I can't wait to improve to A level.

furyballs
09-11-2010, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=JWilster;5040290]ALTA starts tomorrow for many of us. What are you most looking forward to? Or...NOT looking forward to?

FRESH BLOOD

Wakenslam
09-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Did everyone have fun this morning? The weather was perfect for tennis! I had to drop off the card and head to work. :( My teammates had some really close matches and some great points from what I was told.

chollyred
09-12-2010, 10:34 AM
We had 2 wins, 2 losses and 1 default (mine). I hated winning without hitting a ball. :(

The weather was a little hot, but otherwise pretty good. We started getting a little breezy around noon.

The 2 losses were due to guys being timid. I wish they'd hit that way against me! We really should have beaten the other team badly.

Looking forward to next week.

SmoothOperator
09-12-2010, 11:36 AM
2 wins and 3 losses for my team. It was a beautiful day for tennis. The 3 losses were all three setters. I was a little concerned how we would do since we were bumped up a couple levels ( now a low A) but all the matches were competitive. It's difficult to say after one match, but I think we'll be alright.

bcart1991
09-13-2010, 04:16 AM
We went 5-0 with one default (my line, of course). Our middle three matches had weird scores, with the all of the first sets being 7-5 or 7-6, and the second sets were all 6-1 or 6-0. Good times.

I'm with you, chollyred. I want to get out there and hit a ball for my victory.

ttocs013
09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Took lines 1 and 4. Lost 2, 3, and 5.

I played a 3-set match at line 4 and man did it feel brutally hot... absolutely no shade on the court we played on.

Interestingly enough we lost the first set 1-6, then won the next two 6-4 6-4. Guess we remembered how to play tennis.

chollyred
09-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Took lines 1 and 4. Lost 2, 3, and 5.

I played a 3-set match at line 4 and man did it feel brutally hot... absolutely no shade on the court we played on.

Interestingly enough we lost the first set 1-6, then won the next two 6-4 6-4. Guess we remembered how to play tennis.

Some times you're the hydrant, sometimes you're the dog! :)

chollyred
09-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Well, it happened again. They defaulted my line. While we won 5-0, I still want to play. :( The captain agrees that this pretty well bites buffalo biscuits so has guaranteed that I'll play next week. We'll see. At least we travel next week.

Next week we're headed to Lawrenceville.

Why are so many teams playing short?

amarone
09-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Why are so many teams playing short?
The most common reason I have seen for shortages in the fall season is: college football.

slice bh compliment
09-18-2010, 03:14 PM
The most common reason I have seen for shortages in the fall season is: college football.

That is one of the weakest things I've ever heard.
I mean, I LOVE college athletics. I even earned all-america honors in a non-revenue sport (ahem, tennis). I think college football and basketball are just awesome and I'm all for appreciating and supporting them in a social setting, but I'd rather play something than watch something I haven't actually played in years. I'll catch a game and hang out with friends after I've done the more important things in my life (family, job, the house, the yard, tennis, etc).

My friends and family have my permission to blindfold me and punch me in the stomach a hundred times if I ever use "drinkin'beer/watchin' football" as a reason to bag-out on tennis or a family thing.

I am all for religious freedom, but I can't believe the way people totally understand when a friend or teammate treats watching sports like it's a religion. It's a game. And Madison Avenue has these idiots by the gonads.

polski
09-18-2010, 06:22 PM
^^^ALTA is in Atlanta...the South. Football is something that families do together there. So, by your list of importance it comes #1 to those folks in the South.

slice bh compliment
09-18-2010, 07:12 PM
^Of course I know the Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association is in Atlanta^. The city where most people are from somewhere else...meaning their families are elsewhere, too.

Anyway, obviously football is huge in the north, the m!dwest, southwest, and even the west coast (believe it or not). I think it's more societal than regional, to be honest. There are sheep in every region.

God, please give me something more imaginative to do with my family than drink beer and watch major pro sports (and sit through those commercials).

thejuice
09-18-2010, 10:13 PM
^Of course I know the Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association is in Atlanta^. The city where most people are from somewhere else...meaning their families are elsewhere, too.

Anyway, obviously football is huge in the north, the m!dwest, southwest, and even the west coast (believe it or not). I think it's more societal than regional, to be honest. There are sheep in every region.

God, please give me something more imaginative to do with my family than drink beer and watch major pro sports (and sit through those commercials).

You make very wise comments BUT, being a native Atlantan and UGA grad, I can tell you that college football is followed more closely than pro football. True college fans, specifically fans of teams in the SEC, take their teams more seriously than most other aspects of life. If one of your family members doesn't appreciate getting up at 5am on Saturday morning and driving to your college's campus to tailgate and then go to the game then that person WILL be left behind. I wasn't personally raised like that but I went to school around it and I saw a lot of what I described. We had to default our line 5 today also because of the UGA home game against Arkansas.

slice bh compliment
09-19-2010, 03:27 AM
Nice.
I personally don't have as much a problem with actually going to the game. Tailgating, dropping by the old haunts (fraternity house, quad, etc), watching the game live. All that's cool. But those 50,000 to 100,000 people are not spinning their wheels wasting their weekend. It's the monkeys at sports bars I was thinking about (as something as universal as ALTA was affected by 'college football' in the fall).
Sorry to derail the thread, gang.

AutoXer
09-19-2010, 04:30 AM
I added a few extra subs to make up for people going to games. We won't default any lines, but the lineup is not as strong with the subs.

Wakenslam
09-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Smart move AutoXer, although sometimes it's hard for captains for find guys that are willing to just be fill-ins.

I think guys shouldn't sign up for a team if they are aren't going to be available to play the matches when needed.