PDA

View Full Version : New Racket bad shoulder

federer_nadal
05-31-2005, 01:40 AM
I have recently purchased a flexpoint radical tour and now have very severe arm problems. It is a flexible 12 oz racquet so i am thinking of an aeropro drive, 66 is that stiff considering my past racquet was a n61 tour 90. Any other opinions would be much help

bertrevert
05-31-2005, 04:57 AM
In this earlier thread there are some peeps speaking of Head FP problems
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=53317

Flexible tends to mean comfort. A stiff racquet transmits more shock. I don't understand why you want to go that way? Nevertheless maybe there's something I don't understand in waht you say. Bear in mind when you switch a racquet for a while some new aches and pains may appear, it's a new racquet and you'll move mechnically in tune with your old one, but fair enough a bad shoulder is bad news.

What's the thread you're following between?
n61 -> Head FP -> Bab aeropro

AndrewD
05-31-2005, 05:18 AM
Also, keep in mind that any arm problems will be in some fashion unique to you. No two injuries are exactly the same and, while we can often generalise as to a solution, the uniqueness of your physique and ailment can mean that no generalisation will be perfectly applicable.

So, set out to experiment with various racquets - different weights, swingweights, handle shapes, head shapes and headsizes. You might be very surprised to find that one which is not reputed to be good for an arm ailment does the trick for you. If you're serious about finding a frame quickly then keep a brief log of each racquet you try -weight, balance etc- and your physical reaction to it. You might find that there is a common element in all the ones that cause some discomfort and those that are trouble free.

As an example; I was experiencing wrist problems and tried a variety of frames (different flex and weight, including the POG OS) that I thought might help. None really did the trick and some actually made the problem worse. It wasn't until, in frustration, I grabbed an old Head Prestige Pro that Id bought from an op-shop as a keepsake ($40, not too bad lol) and found my wrist pain disappear. Tried a few other frames with similar weight and flex, more pain, back to the Prestige and no pain. Tried a few frames with a similar headsize, no pain. Conclusion, for whatever reason the smaller headsize seemed the only one to not cause my wrist discomfort. So, I now use an LM Prestige mid while I get my wrist into shape. I'll continue to look into various frames that might be good (slightly larger headsize) but will make any transition very tentatively. Have had some encouraging results with the Head LM Prestige mid, i-Radical mp, old Head Classic Mid+ and the new Prince O3 Tour.

The solution to my problem wasn't the expected one and the best thing for your arm might also be a bit different to the norm.

Let us know whether you had problems with your old Wilson and what style of racquet you'd like to, ideally, be using.

simon
05-31-2005, 05:55 AM
For what it's worth, I had about a week of arm issues with the new flexpoint. I figured it was the change in racquet weight and balance from my TT Warrior (the same thing happened when I moved from my first racquet to the Warrior). I never felt any real sharp pains...it was more like fatigue/stiffness in the shoulder and forearm.

Now it's been two weeks and everything is back to normal.

simon

barry
05-31-2005, 06:17 AM
federer_nadal

I agree with Simon. After playing with the Flexpoint tour for 30 to 40 minutes, I felt it in the shoulder. It is way to Head light which puts to much pressure on the arm and shoulder. Maybe Head will do a recall, lots of players compaining.

Switched to the O3, and had no problems.

federer_nadal
05-31-2005, 03:21 PM
I think it may be the grip shape , it feels really un natural. I had no trouble with my n61s apart from them being to heavy so i will trya volkl 9, aeropro drive and a dunlop 300g

federer_nadal
05-31-2005, 03:26 PM
I think it may be the grip shape , it feels really un natural. I had no trouble with my n61s apart from them being to heavy so i will trya volkl 9, aeropro drive and a dunlop 300g

05-31-2005, 04:03 PM
barry what do you mean? u are saying that because the head fp tour is more headlight it is causes more stress on the arm and shoulder.
your logic seem's backwards from what i have heard/experienced.

bertrevert
05-31-2005, 06:53 PM
barry what do you mean? u are saying that because the head fp tour is more headlight it is causes more stress on the arm and shoulder.
your logic seem's backwards from what i have heard/experienced.

I'd agree with Barry. A headlight racquet tends to mean you throw your arm through the stroke or serve quicker and with more vigour. Ouch. I find if I pick up a headlight racquet I can specifically suffer bad shoulder twinges later.

The traingle of muscle and bone in a shoulder is what is called a "floating" joint - throw that around faster and with more vigour than you are used to and a sore shoulder can be the result.

The rule of thumb is to play with a racquet as heavy as you can carry for the length of the match (however long that may be!).

bertrevert
05-31-2005, 07:00 PM
I grabbed an old Head Prestige Pro that Id bought from an op-shop as a keepsake ($40, not too bad lol) and found my wrist pain disappear....

AndrewD that's a classic!

I'd missed how you came to choose the racquet you now play with but did realise you were onto the Head Prestige - really one of the all-time impressive frames - and the fact that you came to it through an op-shop (Opportunity Shop/thrift shop) purchase is just a classic!

No expensive marketing campaign swayed your choice, huh?

I think this a real turn-up for the books - it proves that great hunks of money do not maketh the better tennis player!

(I cannot handle a Prestige but have zoomed around with a few to acknowledge its latent power.)

Op-shop tennis is the future - just don't go getting any socks that way.

barry
06-12-2005, 02:57 PM

Yes, the more head light a racket is, the harder it is on your wrist, arm, and shoulder. The weight is at your forearm and not at the head of the racket where the ball is contacted.

At most, I can play with a 5-point head light racket weighing 12 ounces. The reason manufacturers make head light rackets (5 points and more) is to make them feel lighter. An 11 ounce 4 point head light rackets, feels the same as a 12-ounce 10-point head light racket. When you contact the ball with a heavier head racket, it follows through much better; you do not have to swing with your arm.

alan-n
06-12-2005, 03:12 PM
If the N6.1 Tour 90 is too heavy. Remove the leather grip and use overgrips, this should take off at least 20 grams bringing the strung weight down to 12.1-12.2 ouces, 6-7 points HL. The sweet spot will move roughly 1 cm higher, feel larger and your shots a bit more powerful.

ollinger
06-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Curious to see the most important advice missing here -- you should rest your arm for at least several weeks, perhaps longer, and then begin low resistance reconditioning. Pain is a message. Most tennis injuries are overuse syndromes and the first order of business is to allow recovery.
________
Laguna Bay Condominium (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)