PDA

View Full Version : Babolat vs Head vs Wilson

ART
05-31-2005, 03:59 AM
OK, apologies for repeating this question but after reading tens of reviews and going from one choice onto another I am still confused so let me ask you guys straight. Which racquet shd I choose????? :confused:
I am 4 - 4.5 mostly baseline player, FH eastern (but trying to switch to semi-w) double h BH.

Racquets of interest:
- Head Radical FP TOUR (tour cause of the string pattern)
- Babolat Aeropro Drive or Aeropro Control
- Wlson nsix-one 95

My current racquet offers too much power, I picked up my friend's wilson pro staff 6.1 and really enjoy being able to smack the ball at full swing knowing it will drop where I want.

I had a chance to play Babolats and quite liked the feel, however there are a few posts here linking Babs to arm and elbow probs as they are too stiff... Same with the Head.
I know the best wd be to test run them but living in HK I dont have such luxury. BTW I wd prefer a stick that is more demanding and wd show me where my mistakes are.

jonas-the-ball-basher
05-31-2005, 04:09 AM
I think you should reall go for the Flexpoint, I once played with a Aero Pro Drive and a Pure Control, just terrible racquets yuk!!!
The Wilson Sixone 95 is quite a nice frame, but I think the Head Flexpoint is a lot better!

SC in MA
05-31-2005, 06:25 AM
Art: I haven't hit with the Head racket you mention, but I do own the other three.

One word about Head rackets. The grip shape is more rectangular than the Wilson or Babolat grips. I'm not saying this is bad, but some folks who come from Wilson or Prince rackets, have a difficult time adjusting to the different grip shape. Just something to keep in mind if you are not used to this grip shape.

I would recommend the Wilson n61 95 over the Babalot rackets. I like the AeroPro Drive in its stock form, except that I find it too light for sustained baseline play. I tried added weight to it and I couldn't find a setup I liked. I also started developing elbow twinges with it. The AeroPro Control plays pretty solidly from the baseline, but I find that it begins to feel heavy after about 20 minutes of hitting and the balance doesn't feel right to me. The swingweight is actually more than the n61.

My n61 95 is the US version. Isn't the Hong Kong version a lighter version ?

I find the n61 95 (16x18) to be a very versatile racket. All strokes are good with it. In its stock form it's got mass which gives it a plow thru effect from the baseline. It's got good balance and is manueverable for its weight. It's also good for S & V. The sweetspot is generous and the ball comes off the racket very well. Its especially good at blocking back tough serves and returning reach shots. The n61 can be too powerful depending on the string setup. For example, Klip gut at 60lbs is too powerful for me. However, Prince Syn. Gut at 60lbs mutes the power and offers good control. I'm currently using a natural gut/syn gut hybrid, which offers good power, control and feel. A number of first time users of the n61 have commented that their forehands had a tendancy to sail long. I had that inital problem as well, but that didn't last long. I now love hitting forehands with this racket. Good weighted power and control.

For a two handed backhand, I will say that many folks seem to prefer a headsize bigger than the n61's 95sq in. However, if you have good technique, a 95sq in racket is fine for a two-handed player.

Concerning your desire to move to from an Eastern forehand to a more Semi-Western forehand. I think that's a good move. I think you'll find that you'll be able to use both depending on the circumstance. If you want to speed up your learning curve, you might want to look into the Wonder Wedge, which can be found here: http://www.tennisgeometrics.com/ I've been using it off-and-on for a few months. It's given me a better feel and understanding of the various grips.

Lambsscroll
05-31-2005, 06:40 AM
My current racquet offers too much power, I picked up my friend's wilson pro staff 6.1 and really enjoy being able to smack the ball at full swing knowing it will drop where I want.

Sounds like you found the racquet for yourself. What could be better than you enjoying yourself out on the court. Before you buy the PS 6.1 find out
the grip size and type of string and tension of your friends stick.

AndrewD
05-31-2005, 07:26 AM
I agree with Lambsscroll. If you like your friends racquet why bother looking elsewhere. It's still available through TW or **** so Id just stick with what you found to work well. Not sure whether his frame is the Hyper ProStaff 6.1 or the Classic 6.1 but, regardless, they're both excellent racquets and precisely fit what you've described.

If, however, you do want to choose another racquet altogether then I wouldn't be too put off by different shape of the Head grip. I use a Head LM Prestige mid but prefer a grip shape closer to the Wilson and Prince. A little bit of modification to the handle (a bit of head tape or something similar is all that's needed) and I've got the shape I prefer.

Michelangelo
05-31-2005, 07:31 AM
Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 is a good racket, especailly for those who want player rackets but not really strong enough to play 12+ oz. rackets for 2 hours. My course instructor is using it. However, personally I would consider something offers a bit more flex than it.

kv581
05-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 is a good racket, especailly for those who want player rackets but not really strong enough to play 12+ oz. rackets for 2 hours. My course instructor is using it. However, personally I would consider something offers a bit more flex than it.
What? Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 is 12+ oz.

Michelangelo
05-31-2005, 07:46 AM
What? Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 is 12+ oz.

Really? How come it felt so light when I borrowed it from my instructor?

AndrewD
05-31-2005, 07:52 AM
Who knows? Perhaps a racquet that doesn't meet the required specs or your concept of weight isn't fine tuned enough to pick between something a bit over or just under 12 ounces. Regardless, the HPS does spec out at over 12 ounces.

Michelangelo
05-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Wow! Unbelievable! It felt like something only 11oz, way lighter than my nSix-One Tour 90, even lighter than Flexpoint Radical Tour.

AndrewD
05-31-2005, 08:28 AM
If your coaches racquet didn't feel heavier than your nSix-One Tour 90, which has a lower swingweight (326) but the same overall weight (12.4) Id be thinking your coach has either modified it in some way or, as we suggested before, it doesn't spec correctly. Wilson aren't the worst at that (I think Prince might be) but there does often seem to be quite a bit of discrepancy between the weight of one frame and the weight of another. Best Ive run across for reliability are Fischer, Head and Volkl.

SC in MA
05-31-2005, 10:57 AM
I used the HPS 6.1 a couple of years before I switched to the n61 95. I think they play fairly similarly. I think the HPS 61 has a bit more control and a bit less power than the n61. I switched to the n61 to get the extra bit of power. I think the n61 is also a bit more manueverable.

Here's the TW specs on the two frames:

Wilson Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 Midplus
Head size: 95 sq. in. / 613 sq. cm. Balance: 10pts Head Light
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm Swingweight: 332
Weight: 12.4oz / 352g Stiffness: 68 (0-100)
Power Level: Low Construction: 22mm Flat Beam
Swing Speed: Fast String Pattern: 16 Mains / 18 Crosses
Composition: 10% Hyper Carbon / 90% Graphite / Kevlar Double Braid

Wilson nSix-One 95
Head size: 95 sq. in. / 613 sq. cm. Balance: 10pts Head Light
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm Swingweight: 330
Weight: 12.2oz / 346g Stiffness: 65 (0-100)
Power Level: Low Construction: 22 mm Straight Beam
Swing Speed: Fast String Pattern: 16 Mains / 18 Crosses
Composition: 10% nCoded Hyper Carbon / 75% nCoded High Modulus Graphite / 15% Kevlar

mach1
05-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah the HPS feels pretty light compared to other 12 oz racquets.

brazostennis
06-13-2005, 09:36 AM
The HPS 6.1 feels so light because it is one of the most head light rackets on the market. I have used it for almost 2 years and love it. Also, I know some pros who use it and don't want to change (Shoun Madden who was 3 time All American at A&M).

There is an interesting thing about racket speed. A few years ago the Hammer was touted as being so great because it was head heavy and could provide more momentum in the racket head to hit the ball harder. But physics studies looking into this I found on the web (will have to look it up...was very well done) discuss how head light rackets generate more racket speed, and thus may provide more power.

Anyway, I know all pros place about 2 oz. in the butt of the racket head for better control but this also makes all their rackets head light. Also, the head light rackets definitely provide less vibration for tennis elbow and there is good data on this.

I think the HPS is a great racket for any 4.0 - 6.0 level player and I think it is probably the best racket I have owned. Too bad Wilson is not marketing it anymore, but there is a new version identical except for slightly more dense string pattern.

ptuananh
06-13-2005, 10:04 AM
I own 2 x FP, 2 x n61 Tour 90, and did owned 2 x AeroPro. The FlexPoint offers you a lot of power. Think about it if you lack of power. The n61 Tour 90 gives a very solid feel and a lot of control but no power at all. AeroPro provides head acceleration but it is too stiff so a bit lack of control.

Those are my opinions only, not my judgements :D :D :D

ptuananh
06-13-2005, 10:05 AM
I own 2 x FP, 2 x n61 Tour 90, and did own 2 x AeroPro. The FlexPoint offers you a lot of power. Think about it if you lack of power. The n61 Tour 90 gives a very solid feel and a lot of control but no power at all. AeroPro provides head acceleration but it is too stiff so a bit lack of control.

Those are my opinions only, not my judgements :D :D :D