PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Learning to String Correctly

myservenow
09-10-2010, 11:08 AM
I have now strung about 5 racquets with my new stringer (crank style).

Issue 1The first racquet I strung, I set the tension at 54 lbs. It felt like 154 lbs when I tried to hit with it. Seemed like a block of wood would have been better. The strings did not move at all after a couple hitting sessions.

I suspected that I had done a really bad string job and wanted to cut the strings out before I damaged my racquet. When I cut the strings out, it was amazing. I have no idea what the actual tension in the strings was, but it had to have been dangerously high.

After a restringing of that same racquet at the same 54 lbs. it felt more like 54 lbs. So, I do think I am getting better and avoided disaster with that first racquet.

Second issue is crosses that are moving like crazy rather than the mains. What am I doing wrong that allows the crosses to move up and down like that.

I am still learning with each new string job, but I am loving my new purchase. It is kind of addictive.

Third Issue When I get close to the throat area of my string job (Head Pro 280) I really run out of room to weave the string. I have relatively small hands but the clamps and lack of room create some problems. Is this just a common issue, or am I making things hard on myself with a bad method?

dancraig
09-10-2010, 11:36 AM
1 Check calibration.
2 Clamp near edge, add a few pounds when tying off.
3 Weaving in tight place is more difficult for everyone.

indyfob2008
09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I have now strung about 5 racquets with my new stringer (crank style).

Issue 1The first racquet I strung, I set the tension at 54 lbs. It felt like 154 lbs when I tried to hit with it. Seemed like a block of wood would have been better. The strings did not move at all after a couple hitting sessions.

I suspected that I had done a really bad string job and wanted to cut the strings out before I damaged my racquet. When I cut the strings out, it was amazing. I have no idea what the actual tension in the strings was, but it had to have been dangerously high.

After a restringing of that same racquet at the same 54 lbs. it felt more like 54 lbs. So, I do think I am getting better and avoided disaster with that first racquet.

Second issue is crosses that are moving like crazy rather than the mains. What am I doing wrong that allows the crosses to move up and down like that.

I am still learning with each new string job, but I am loving my new purchase. It is kind of addictive.

Third Issue When I get close to the throat area of my string job (Head Pro 280) I really run out of room to weave the string. I have relatively small hands but the clamps and lack of room create some problems. Is this just a common issue, or am I making things hard on myself with a bad method?

What stringing machine do you have?

myservenow
09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
^^^^Gamma Progression ST II

Ash_Smith
09-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I can't think how your technique would have meant a massive difference in feel between jobs one and two, there are plenty of things you can do to result in a tension feeling a lot lower than reference but I can't think of anything you could do to result in a much tighter feel.

Calibrating the machine will obviously help settle any doubts about the mechanism.

Ash