PDA

View Full Version : *** Racquet Gurus, please help comparison !!! ***

sandro
04-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Could someone compare Head LM Prestige Mid, Volkl Tour 10 Mid, Wilson PS Tour 95 (and 90), Prince Tour Diablo Mid ? I would like to compare them in terms of producing "heavy" groundstrokes, net game, serves (flats and kicks) and arm safety.

My concerns are:

LM Prestige: the previous version (i.Pres) has far too much power and stiffnes. And I don't like the rectangular grip shape.

Tour 10 Mid: huge swingweight! Again, don't like the grip shape.

Tour 95: sounds good on paper... Is it hefty enough?
Tour 90: too demanding? soooo stiff!

Diablo: too stiff?

THANKS for any input.

babar
04-19-2004, 05:51 AM
Sandro,

I feel the same way about the grip shapes on Volkl and Head sticks. I did feel that the Tour 95 was a little floppy in play. It served nice and was really good at net, but had trouble against heavy serves. Diablo was very nice and Tour 90 was very nice for a little while, but a little too heavy for me. I got rid of my 6.1s b/c of the weight issue and shoulder soreness. I would try the Babolat PC Team Standard. I have travelled a similar path to your racquet quest and the PC Team is my next stop. Good Luck.

sandro
04-19-2004, 06:36 AM
babar, thanks for your reply. I've demoed the PC Team MP, and found it like a more stable version of the PD (I've played with it for 1 year). With an higher swingweight and a stiffness around 70 (!!!) I suspect the PC to be a rocket launcher...

sandro
04-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Should I include also the Prince Tour NXG Graphite Mid to the comparison?

Richie Rich
04-19-2004, 08:27 AM
Sandro,
Just email Benjamin from these boards. He has demoed every racquet available in the past couple of months. He should be able to give you the detailed comparisons you are looking for.
RR

sandro
04-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks RR, I'll do! but I also like to listen from different sources... :-))

ucd_ace
04-19-2004, 08:50 AM
I just got done demoing the Diablo Mid, LM Prestige Mid, and Bab PC standard MP with the intention of retiring my old MW 200g... sigh... and have played with the Tour 10 and Tour 90.

The LM Prestige does not have the same rectangular grip shape that the i.Prestige had. I didn't feel like I could even hold onto the i.Prestige when I played with it, but I didn't have any such problem with the LM version. However, this racquet is not something you want if you're worried about your arm. This racquet lets you know whenever you hit the ball anywhere outside of the sweet spot. It's the first racquet in a long time that arm safety even came into accountability for me. It also generates a lot of power, far more than the i.Prestige did from my experiences. Very good up at the net. Flat serves benefit greatly from the added power that this racquet has. Kick serves... really wasn't impressed by it at all... it produced the results that you would expect from an 18x20 string pattern 93 sq. inch head.

I hated the Tour 10 and that's all I really have to say about that. I'm right with you guys on the grip shapes.

Tour 90 is definitely demanding. It weighs a ton and wore my arm out in about half an hour. The stiffness definitely turned me off too. Even though there are other stiffer racquets that don't bother me, I think the weight adds on top of that to produce a racquet that doesn't have much give whenever you strike the ball.

The Diablo isn't too anything... if it has to be too something, I'd say it's too good. This racquet was amazing; while with the LM Prestige I would hit shots that made me think, "Maybe this racquet really is great," the Diablo was there on every hit. Great at the net; so solid and the feel is great. It didn't produce "heavy" groundstrokes but much better than what I expected from the 18x20 string pattern; it's just not like I played with this racquet and thought, "I can't believe how much topspin this racquet produces." Overall the ground strokes were great. Serving with this racquet was just great. Great flat serves, good spin serves. Every shot was so comfortable; I felt like I could hit with this racquet all day.

The PC felt very similar to the Diablo in my opinion. Every shot with both racquets seemed so easy, so smooth, so comfortable, I had too much trouble distinguishing these two racquets from each other. It just seemed like I hit the sweet spot on every stroke. Stiffness of 70... if they didn't post that and you played with the PC, you would never think that it was that stiff. I never really cared for Wilson racquets because they are often so stiff and was worried that this racquet would be the same... it's not. The reason I demoed this racquet was because I play with a friend's PD every once in awhile and it's really nice to play with just as far as how it feels; this racquet has that same feel and isn't as much of a "rocket launcher" at all... which I expected it to be.

By the end of the day (week), I shipped off the lovely demos and now I'm waiting for the UPS man to drop off my PC. The PC and the Diablo are by far the nicest racquets that I've ever hit with (and I've hit with pretty much everything). You can't go wrong with either one, but I felt that since I couldn't really tell a difference on my strokes (PC did produce more spin that the Diablo, but not by that much) and decided that I'd go with the lower weight so my arm doesn't wear down as fast... well, these racquets were just so awesome, I got the PC because the racquet and Bab bags look better... lol, :D. Sandro... nice to be joining the PC Team with a fellow TW member (how are you stringing it?).

Feņa14
04-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi Sandro,

I would say that the NXG will give you the best spin out of those rackets but if you want arm safety then there is no better racket than the POG, if you use this then there is the perfect ammount of power, the most spin available in any racket and the comfort is second to none!

So my friend I suggest the POG mid or OS.

Hope this helps!!!

Liam

Stitch626
04-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Try an estusa.... I think the most talked about are the PBB and PBP. I just bought a PBB and it is wonderful. The PBP is supposed to be more buttery because of the fiberglass. I don't think any racket beats an estusa at net.

sandro
04-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Thanks for your replays!
ucd_ace,
did you choose the PC standard (97sqi) or the PC standard MP (100sqi)? Looks like you got the MP, that has a stiffness of 65 and a lower swingweight. For sure it's a good all around racquet. BTW, I've only demoed it for a couple of hours, while I played with the PD in 2001-2002 (strung with Polymono @ 28 kg). And reading your post, I'm really intrigued by the Diablo Mid...

Liam,
thanks for the suggestion, but the Os doesn't suit my 1hbh. And I heat strings too much with the 14x pattern of the Mid.

Stitch,
finding an Estusa seller here in Italy? :-)

crosscourt
04-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Sandro -- I'm sure you won't find an Estusa seller in Italy, but you can buy then from Estusa or TW directly.

Stitch626
04-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Darn didn't realize you were from Italy. haha silly me =/

But as crosscourt says if you wanna go on a hunch or something you can alwayz order one off of here.