PDA

View Full Version : NEOS 1000 - tension knob stuck

Yaz
09-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Developed a problem with my Prince NEOS 1000 tonight. Went to string my racquet and for some reason I was unable to turn the tension knob. It seems to be stuck at 0 lbs. My machine is only about 2 yrs old and I probably string only around 6x/month. After every use I make sure to dial the tension knob back down to 0 to save wear on the spring.

Took the cover off the tension head and nothing seems to be broken, just that the knob won't turn now?

Anyone ever have this happen?

Irvin
09-11-2010, 03:12 AM
^^ Not sure how the Prince works but on my Gamma it is just a knob on a screw that puts more or less pressure on a plate that pushes the spring. It does not matter if the brake is engaged or not the knob should still turn.

Also on mine Gamma suggest not returning the tension to zero after use. I have left it set for two years and the tension was the same as when I last set it.

Irvin

PBODY99
09-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Developed a problem with my Prince NEOS 1000 tonight. Went to string my racquet and for some reason I was unable to turn the tension knob. It seems to be stuck at 0 lbs. My machine is only about 2 yrs old and I probably string only around 6x/month. After every use I make sure to dial the tension knob back down to 0 to save wear on the spring.

Took the cover off the tension head and nothing seems to be broken, just that the knob won't turn now?

Anyone ever have this happen?

Try a very little spray of lube on the shaft. Let it set for 15 minutes then try to move it.

Irvin
09-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if Prince had someone like Bret ('Gamma Tech') around to monitor the forum for problems? You don't have to know their number or who you need to talk with. You mention that you have a problem with a Gamma product and Bret is on it like a bee on a clover. One of my first machines was a Prince MP-100 and I had a problem with it. I called Prince and their response was I needed to buy a new machine. Bad answer.

This should be a simple problem to fix, maybe you should call Prince 1 800 2 TENNIS to see if someone there anyone that is able to help you. All you have is a knob that turns a bolt that has a plate the moves back and forth to apply more or less tension on a spring.

Irvin

Yaz
09-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys...turns out that Irvin was on to something. I had set the tension back as far down as it could go and the bolts got stuck. Just took a wrench and gave it a little turn to loosen and that solved the problem. Checked the tension with a calibrator and it was OK so seems like it's fixed now.

Thanks again everyone

Irvin
09-12-2010, 03:11 AM
^^ Great! In the future I would not return the knob to zero if I were you.

Irvin

David123
09-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Irvin thanks for your input. I too used to return the knob back to 0. I guess I am not going to do that anymore. However do you suggest setting it a bit lower? to let's say 20-30lbs instead of leaving at the tension I string with which is 60lbs?

Irvin
09-12-2010, 10:57 AM
When I used my lockout I left it where it was set. I think Bret ('Gamma Tech') mentioned one time when you turn the knob back to 0 the spring could turn and throw off the calibration. Maybe it was for another reason I am not sure. I just always left it where I last used it and it worked for me.

Irvin

MAX PLY
09-12-2010, 12:34 PM
It's funny, I have owned Ektelon/Prince-type machines for over 25 years and have never turned the knob back to zero. It never made sense to me largely due to why Bret suggests not to either. I have always double checked my calibration when I had a huge swing in tension (e.g., doing a bunch of racquets in the 50s and then having someone want it really tight 70s+), and going to zero and back is a huge swing. I have yet to wear out a tension spring. I will have to remember to ask Jim Henry (tennismachines) what he thinks next time I chat with him.

struggle
09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
in theory, turning the knob back down after use seems to make sense to me.
i did it on the ektelon/prince machines i used and now i do it on my 910 combo, BUT i'd be happy not to if/when i hear good reason.

keep us posted. thanks!