PDA

View Full Version : Only changing mains

GMay
09-11-2010, 08:18 AM
I took my racquet in to be restrung last weekend with Babolat VS gut and Sylinco. The shop did it wrong, they did Babolat VS gut and Pro Hurricane Tour. I have this feeling that they just cut out the PHT and put in Sylinco, is this an okay thing to do?

I feel like the racquet does not play well now but don't know if I am just being a bit mental or if only changing the one set of strings would make a difference.

The gut is in the crosses so they would have only changed the mains.

The reason I think they did this is when I asked for the other half of the gut they decided not to charge me for the re-string at all so I think they did not have it as they only changed the mains after making the mistake.

Irvin
09-11-2010, 09:39 AM
If I took my racket to have it strung and it was not strung with what I ordered I would either want my money back or for the racket to be strung properly with what I ordered. If they did not have what you ordered they should have told you.

Irvin

GMay
09-11-2010, 03:18 PM
They did not charge me for the string job after I asked the other half of the gut back which is why I think they only cut out the mains that were the incorrect string. If I had not asked for the other half of the gut then I think they would have charged.

This is also the second wrong string job in six months. The other wrong one they reversed the main/cross string types.

Needless to say I think I will be having someone else string my racquets from now on.

LttlElvis
09-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Well, even if one wanted to just change the mains, I think it's impossible since the first cross string tie off has to attach to a main.

mad dog1
09-11-2010, 08:09 PM
^^ agreed...it's not possible to restring the mains w/o redo'g the crosses for the reason LttlElvis mentions.

Irvin
09-12-2010, 03:58 AM
^^ / ^^ Depends on the racket and how the crosses are tied off. If you tie off the crosses on a cross string it is easy. Take for instance the Babolat Pure Storm Tour where the top cross should tie off at 11H. If you tie off the bottom cross on 11T you have no problem.

Irvin

GMay
09-12-2010, 07:58 AM
My racket is a Babolat Pure Drive GT.

I know very little about stringing rackets.

Even if you do a hybrid, do the mains and crosses have to "attach" someplace?

mad dog1
09-12-2010, 08:05 AM
^^ all strings have to be tied off. hybrid jobs have 4 tie offs/knots. 2 for the mains and 2 for the crosses.the 2 main knots will be attached to main strings. not sure about your racket, but all of mine rackets have crosses that attach to main strings.

Don S
09-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, you're going to have to either play what you've got until it breaks or dies, or get the racquet completely restrung. The crosses tie off to the mains so there's no way to save them.
Sounds like it's time to spend about $140 on a Klippermate stringer and learn how to do it yourself. It's easy to learn and you won't have these issues anymore.

Irvin
09-12-2010, 11:52 AM
It is true that the crosses are usually tied off on the main string but they do not have to attach there. For your Pure Drive the top cross ties on a main but the bottom cross ties off on a cross. You do not have to tie off the top cross on a main though. Many people who put gut and poly strings in a racket where the poly is in the crosses do not like to tie off poly on gut so they tie off the poly on a cross. Just start your crosses with a starting clamp open up a grommet hole with an awl (before you put the string there the grommet) and tie off where you want.

But no matter how or where you tie off I would never ever replace only half the strings in a racket. That is not good practice. If you can afford gut and look for high quality why anyone would want to do that is beyond me.

Irvin

Game-Set-MATCH!!!
09-12-2010, 11:55 AM
It is true that the crosses are usually tied off on the main string but they do not have to attach there. For your Pure Drive the top cross ties on a main but the bottom cross ties off on a cross. You do not have to tie off the top cross on a main though. Many people who put gut and poly strings in a racket where the poly is in the crosses do not like to tie off poly on gut so they tie off the poly on a cross. Just start your crosses with a starting clamp open up a grommet hole with an awl (before you put the string there the grommet) and tie off where you want.

Irvin

yes i think soo. what kind of stringer do you have?? i have the new wilson stringer

Game-Set-MATCH!!!
09-12-2010, 11:57 AM
If I took my racket to have it strung and it was not strung with what I ordered I would either want my money back or for the racket to be strung properly with what I ordered. If they did not have what you ordered they should have told you.

Irvin

just a quick question... have you every seen meliane oudin hit in ur area in georgia??? what r u ranked in the section and nation???

Irvin
09-12-2010, 12:05 PM
No I have never seen Melanie hit. I am not ranked even in my neighborhood. I am a lot better at stringing that I am as a player. LOL

I did run past Robby Ginepri once going up Kennesaw mountain not far from my home one time. I left him in my dust. He was going up a lot faster than I was going down though. LOL

Irvin

struggle
09-14-2010, 09:22 AM
The reason I think they did this is when I asked for the other half of the gut they decided not to charge me for the re-string at all so I think they did not have it as they only changed the mains after making the mistake.

sounds like they didn't have the other half set of VS because they had to use it to restring the crosses ALSO.

did you supply the gut? if not, did they (originally) charge you for a full set?
if not, why would you request the other half? If you did pay (originally) for the full set, then got the 2nd job for free (or the same price), i'd have a beef.

LttlElvis
09-14-2010, 10:10 AM
sounds like they didn't have the other half set of VS because they had to use it to restring the crosses ALSO.

did you supply the gut? if not, did they (originally) charge you for a full set?
if not, why would you request the other half? If you did pay (originally) for the full set, then got the 2nd job for free (or the same price), i'd have a beef.

Gut comes packaged in 1/2 sets also. (20 ft).

Seems like the store did the right thing. They didn't charge for the second string job after a mistake.