PDA

View Full Version : Coping with tennis loss in tournament

monkeyisland90
09-12-2010, 04:24 PM
So i've been playing lot of tournaments this year as our team is going nationals and our coach suggested playing lot of tournaments to prepare in oct. Been playing doubles and singles and although doubles i've had some sucess (went to finals twice and won finals once), singles i've been ousted early rounds and only reached semifinals (i'm a singles player so it stings more). Since i'm more concerned about my singles match and kind of ruining my confidence here for nationals :( I've read in tennis magazine that if you lose your confidence in a tough match, you should play someone you know you can beat easily.. (of course it kind of feels bad that im using someone else to uplift myself :) but i've been used a pawn before so i'm over it).. and other thing is i read that pros back in the day like john newcombe used to go drink beer with his pals if he had tough loss.. but i don't drink beer, drugs, party. so i guess thats out of the picture. (maybe i need a lady friend). Anyhow, I know it's just a recreation tournament but all you tennis players know how brutal this game is when competition heats up... so what should i do to cope with the loss??

rundown in my 4.0 semifinals... so basically i got bageled first set.. and i was thinking to much, got nervous, and tried changing game plans as nothing was breaking this guys fh... Second set.. i started making mistake again was down 2-0 but for some reason.. i didn't want to get bageled again and few people started watching our match..and i just started acting like i was a pro or some hot shot.. and got more aggressive and added pressure to the opponent... then loss 6-4 after thoughts of the score entered my mind.. it's funny that when i focus on the ball and performance i do well. .but the score creeps up and i tighten up just like that... nevertheless it was a good experience but can't seem to shut up my brain and move on..(its been only a day and actually im over it.. :)

Tennis is a humbling sport.

Totai
09-13-2010, 10:56 AM
you should play a 2.0 and triple bagel them, then take them out for a beer and some drugs

robert
09-13-2010, 08:27 PM
If you play 2.5 National, you could be competitive there.
If you play 3.0 National, don't have too much expectation. There will be a lot 4.0 ringers around.
If you play 3.5 National, I would re-consider the cost. It could be easily around $1K of the whole trip if you are from eastern. Do you want to spend $1k and just get be smoked by 4.5 ringers?

LuckyR
09-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Uummm... half of the people who play tennis lose. Get over it. If you are making it to the semis, you are better than average among the folks you are playing against. Be happy...

polski
09-14-2010, 09:09 AM
In the bigger picture, it is probably a goood thing that you took a beating before your state/sectional/national team tournament. You are now more aware that you are not invincible. If you end up taking a loss in the upcoming event, you won't take it as hard as if you had never had that experience.

skiracer55
09-14-2010, 09:15 AM
...if you win, you probably won't get a direct entry into the Wimbledon draw. On the other hand, if you lose, you probably won't get shot, either...

ibeeskeef
09-14-2010, 09:36 AM
sometimes a serious reminder needs to be had that almost everyone on this board (and across the country for that matter) plays tennis for entertainment and recreation. If you play 4.0 then I am sure that you are not going to make any money in this sport. Actually, you are paying hard earned money to play it when you enter tournaments and spend the cash to go to nationals. Compete, try your best to win, but unltimately remember that it is a game and if you are not having fun doing it any more then you probably need to find a new hobby.

Ok, I am off my soap box now!

polski
09-14-2010, 09:38 AM
^^^brutally stated, yet totally true

J011yroger
09-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I just go and practice more, hang out with my friends.

Anything other than being home alone.

Sometimes I lose and it is no big deal, and sometimes it really bothers me.

J

Topaz
09-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Look at it this way...even if you lose, you get to play tennis, right? And that is a *good* thing!

Limpinhitter
09-14-2010, 08:52 PM
So i've been playing lot of tournaments this year as our team is going nationals and our coach suggested playing lot of tournaments to prepare in oct. Been playing doubles and singles and although doubles i've had some sucess (went to finals twice and won finals once), singles i've been ousted early rounds and only reached semifinals (i'm a singles player so it stings more). Since i'm more concerned about my singles match and kind of ruining my confidence here for nationals :( I've read in tennis magazine that if you lose your confidence in a tough match, you should play someone you know you can beat easily.. (of course it kind of feels bad that im using someone else to uplift myself :) but i've been used a pawn before so i'm over it).. and other thing is i read that pros back in the day like john newcombe used to go drink beer with his pals if he had tough loss.. but i don't drink beer, drugs, party. so i guess thats out of the picture. (maybe i need a lady friend). Anyhow, I know it's just a recreation tournament but all you tennis players know how brutal this game is when competition heats up... so what should i do to cope with the loss??

rundown in my 4.0 semifinals... so basically i got bageled first set.. and i was thinking to much, got nervous, and tried changing game plans as nothing was breaking this guys fh... Second set.. i started making mistake again was down 2-0 but for some reason.. i didn't want to get bageled again and few people started watching our match..and i just started acting like i was a pro or some hot shot.. and got more aggressive and added pressure to the opponent... then loss 6-4 after thoughts of the score entered my mind.. it's funny that when i focus on the ball and performance i do well. .but the score creeps up and i tighten up just like that... nevertheless it was a good experience but can't seem to shut up my brain and move on..(its been only a day and actually im over it.. :)

Tennis is a humbling sport.

Maybe it would help to know that all of the Aussies, including Newcombe, let the "golden brown" flow after a match, whether they won or lost!

atatu
09-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Well, tennis is a brutal game...but for adults (4.0 no less) it shouldn't really bother you too much, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you should get a girlfriend....

ProgressoR
09-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Maybe it would help to know that all of the Aussies, including Newcombe, let the "golden brown" flow after a match, whether they won or lost!

Yeh i do the same, especially when its hot and my body is short of fluids. And its normally a small drizzle rather than a flood. And I always wash my hands afterwards.

formula16
09-19-2010, 01:58 AM
the nature of this game is so gladitorial like

1v1

it decides who is the "superior" one

winning can uplift your mood for the day, losing can make you feel so terrible

dennis10is
09-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Dear OP,

You've completely missed the point of playing tennis.

We play tennis as an excuse to criticize other players. That's the real reason why any of us play. Our playing ability will never make us feel good about ourselves. The only way to feel good is to put down other players.

Winning or losing on the courts is irrelevant. Being able to humiliate somebody in person, in public is priceless and is worth living for. Be honest with yourself and turn to the dark side..the Emperor has foreseen it.

dafox
09-20-2010, 09:55 AM
^^^^^^^^ Lol Lol

thejuice
09-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Dear OP,

You've completely missed the point of playing tennis.

We play tennis as an excuse to criticize other players. That's the real reason why any of us play. Our playing ability will never make us feel good about ourselves. The only way to feel good is to put down other players.

Winning or losing on the courts is irrelevant. Being able to humiliate somebody in person, in public is priceless and is worth living for. Be honest with yourself and turn to the dark side..the Emperor has foreseen it.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Devilito
09-21-2010, 03:13 PM
break a racquet next time, you'll feel better

Panic492
09-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Professional Psychiatric care :-)

sphinx780
09-22-2010, 08:03 AM
I like your lady friend idea...go with that. :-)