PDA

View Full Version : Precautions to take before stringing?

redfist1000
09-12-2010, 04:54 PM
What are the different ways to check for damage on a frame (tapping for sounds ,etc?) besides the obvious spotting for cracks. Also is there anyway to check for internal damage? Thanks!

redfist1000
09-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Also if anybody has tips in order for a better quality stringjob, feel free to list them. Thanks!

esgee48
09-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Sight check the frame looking for damage. Really look over areas of scraped paint or ground rash looking for cracks or dents. Deep dents are signs of trouble with the underlying material. Sight check the grommet strip looking for areas where the string may rub against the frame. If a broken grommet can be tubed, do so; if not then if's up to you whether to continue. Tell the customer before doing anything. Warn them what may go wrong and if they say OK, then string it up.

I've been especially careful when someone gives me a Prince with O ports. Sometimes the throat area has sharp turns and that causes poly or really thin strings to break on shanks.

Ash_Smith
09-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Precautions to take before stringing?

I like to make sure I've got a big enough cup of tea to last the job :)

other than that - what esgee said pretty much covers it, after a while you'll know exactly what you're looking for.

Ash

SirGounder
09-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Esgee has summed it up pretty nicely.

If I have time, I like to pull out my string in advance and leave it somewhat stretched out. It helps me avoid tangles and kinks while stringing. This is really helpful with string from a package as opposed to a reel.

I also double check my mounting but that's just me being paranoid.

I check all my clamps and string gripper to make sure they are clean.

I look for any grommets that may be problems.