PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on stringing YT Prestige MP

E-One
09-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Hi,

I am a newbie and wondering on how to interpret the following information from Head's stringing guide for my YT Pretige MP:

Total String Length:
11 m / 36,5 ft
String Pattern:
18 Main (6 m/20 ft)
20 Cross (5 m / 16,5 ft)

I'm planning to do a hybrid and wondering if I cut a set of string 50-50 i.e. 20ft each, will I have enough spare to tie the main? since based on the guide, the main string length is 20ft. if i have to cut more than 20ft, then I won't be able to using the set for two string jobs because the left over will be less than 20ft.

Any info/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Irvin
09-13-2010, 08:41 AM
That should work for you but another way to make sure is to string the racket with a 10' short side and 30' long side. When you get done though tie off both side and cut off the long side. That should give you 20' plus for the next racket.

Irvin

E-One
09-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Irvin, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't quite understand:

10' short side and 30' long side. When you get done though tie off both side and cut off the long side. That should give you 20' plus for the next racket.

Let say I have one 40" set of poly and one 40" set of synthetic gut. Do you mean I do not cut the set until I'm done with the string job?

Radicalized
09-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Here are the full instructions if you only have what you wrote above:
YouTek Prestige MP
Total String Length:
11 m / 36,5 ft
String Pattern:
18 Main (6 m/20 ft)
20 Cross (5 m / 16,5 ft)
Rec. String Tension:
26 +/- 2kp / 57 +/- 5lbs
Main Strings
Start at the top with the center holes L38 and R38. For the
left side of the main strings clamp 3m (10ft) at hole L38 and
R38. Tighten 2 main strings right, two main strings left and
so on, skipping holes L+R31, L+R29 as well as L+R9. Tie off
at holes L+R7.
Cross Strings
Tie on the cross strings at hole R 33 and lace string through
hole R31. Tighten all 20 cross strings in direction of racquet
throat. Tie off at hole R12.

If you're curious how long the string would be in the frame, just cut a piece of regular string and run it through the frame. Of course, racquet string will be tensioned and there will be more or less elongation depending on the string type, so it doesn't really say much. You can read all the the tech talk on that elsewhere. Both my brother and I use a Head with the same--on paper--string measurements. I have the string left from a job the other day. The string was multifilament with a decent amount of "stretch." It was 41'8" total. I did a 2-pc. job at 59 pounds. I cut 23' (which is just a number I've come up with for my racquet) out of that for the mains. I had a little over 4' left from the left and right sides combined. The shorter crosses wouldn't be a problem with 20' used, so that set wouldn't really be an issue. With a fairly stiff poly I did at 53 pounds, I had 21" left on the left and right sides. Again, that was with 23' out of the set. Of course, with both, in my case, I had to have the string long enough to go around the rotational gripper to pull tension. It wasn't much to spare with that length for the poly.

It's not a great answer, but I saw your "green light" on. I guess what I'm saying is, really check first with the particular poly.

I don't want to speak for Irvin, but I think he means to leave the set intact. Then for the mains, measure off 10 feet for the left or right side and then use the remainder to string the other side. String the mains for one piece as normal by tensioning on the left side, then right side, and so on, never getting more than two ahead. When the mains are complete, you have the final string, left and right, clamped. Hopefully on the short side you had enough to tension. On the one side you'll have the amount needed to tension and then tie off (hopefully), and on the other, you'll have the long length of string. For you, at that tension, with that particular string, you will hopefully have at least half of your string left to use for the next mains on that "long" side. If not, you should at least know to some degree what is required for those mains with the string of your choice. Of course, on the one side, you're going to have to pull all that extra string like doing a one-piece.

Irvin
09-14-2010, 02:33 AM
Irvin, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't quite understand:

Let say I have one 40" set of poly and one 40" set of synthetic gut. Do you mean I do not cut the set until I'm done with the string job?

No you cut the long side string when you are done with the mains. I don't think there will be a problem with the crosses so just cut it in half.

Irvin

HitItHarder
09-14-2010, 04:35 AM
You shouldn't have a problem cutting a true 40ft set in half for the prestige mp. 20ft is plenty to string the mains and tie off.

Just be sure to measure the entire string before you cut it in half. While the package may say 40ft, don't assume and just cut it in half. I have run across more than a few string sets that measure in at less than 40ft.

E-One
09-14-2010, 04:41 AM
Thank you guys! I'll try it tonight.

HitItHarder
09-14-2010, 09:55 AM
You shouldn't have a problem cutting a true 40ft set in half for the prestige mp. 20ft is plenty to string the mains and tie off.

Just be sure to measure the entire string before you cut it in half. While the package may say 40ft, don't assume and just cut it in half. I have run across more than a few string sets that measure in at less than 40ft.

I might should have clarified, I string on a Revo 4000 crank that can get pretty close to the frame to pull tension. If you are using a drop weight, you may want to keep a starting clamp handy to make if bridge if you come up a little short trying to reach the tension head pulling tension on your last main. I don't think it will be a problem, but better safe than sorry since I haven't strung one of these on a drop weight.

zapvor
09-14-2010, 06:06 PM
if you are stringing from a set you can just cut the set in half, there is always extra length of string. if you are doing it from a reel just be more careful. if you are really paranoid you can always run the string through the frame first

E-One
09-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Just want to give an update. I have a drop weight stringer and HitItHarder is correct that I need starting clamp to make a bridge since the string did not reach the gripper when I measure and cut 20'

Irvin's method does not require starting clamp since there is enough string to reach the gripper.

I did not try zapfor method. If I try it I would double check to measure the lenght of half of a set, just to make sure I did not have a bad batch i.e. Less than 40' for the set.

Thanks for all your helps.