PDA

View Full Version : Doubles teammate missing calls

JackB1
09-13-2010, 08:05 AM
What are you supposed to do when your doubles teammate repeadily miss calls balls hit by our opponents as "out" when you clearly see them as "in"? The other team is staring at us and it puts me in a weird position. Do I overrule him or what? Any ball that was part in/part out he would call "OUT". Every serve they hit that struck the service line, he would also call as "out". This happened more than a few times and I had to say something. What would you do?

spot
09-13-2010, 08:20 AM
The best way to overrule your partner is to quietly go back and tell them that you saw the ball in- that way you can reverse the call together and it doesn't sound like you are calling them a cheater.

tennis tom
09-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Walk over to him/her, pull his/her pants down to his/her jock/thong, put them over your knee and spank them, making them repeat over and over : "I am a CHEATER and I will NOT CHEAT anymore...I am a CHEATER and I will NOT CHEAT anymore...".

Some folks may understandably, feel uncomfortable doing this, but trust me, you will be the toast of the town and many free drinks will be coming your way at Ye' Ol' Club's Friday night summer BBQ.

If you feel squeamish doing this procedure yourself, there is an excellent TV show called "CHEATERS", specializing in situations like this. Contact them and they will do the dirty work for you. They will shoot irrefutable hidden video evidence supplying burley security guards for when the cheater denies that's him/her on the video and tries to escape to the golf C & C for Mulligan practice.

(BTW, if one of two partners on a team disagrees, the call goes to the opposition.)

Mike2228
09-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I've never had a partner who has consistently made bad calls. It happened here and there though. i usually just let it go and make some lenient calls on my opponents behalf.

Ronaldo
09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Had this happen last week. I saw the ball out and there was a mark, clearly out. My partner states, "I cannot make that call, I didn't see it." It is their point.

RogerRacket111
09-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Just tell him you saw it differently and that you always have to give the benefit of the doubt to the other side.

InsideOutBackhand
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Had this happen last week. I saw the ball out and there was a mark, clearly out. My partner states, "I cannot make that call, I didn't see it." It is their point.

"Didn't see it" is not a disagreement on the line call. One partner not seeing the play while another making a confident line call does not constitute doubt. Your call should have stood.

Cindysphinx
09-14-2010, 03:45 AM
I overrule my partners if they make a bad line call. I have to be sure they were wrong, and I have to be sure I was in a better position to see it than my partner.

There is one lady I play with who makes bad line calls. I am 100% sure she does not do this on purpose. I think her eyes just "will" the ball out in the heat of the moment.

The single biggest episode came a couple of years ago in a ladies match. I was at baseline, she was at net. Opponents hit a moonball to me. I bounced it and saw it inside the line. As I lined up my shot, I heard, "OUT!" I returned the ball, and then signaled good. My partner came over and said the ball was out by a good six inches. She was furious with me for giving away such an important point (we replayed the point because my shot landed in). But come on. I was right there, watching the bounce carefully. It was not six inches behind the line.

Years later, we still play together quite successfully. But she has not forgotten that overrule. We were playing a match this spring, and a ball landed near her sideline. I saw the ball as well out, but I deferred to her expecting her to make the call. I mean, she was right there in a position to look down the line and wasn't under any pressure (e.g. running to reach it). She didn't call it out, hit the shot, and her shot went out.

I went over and said something like, "Oh, man. I'm sorry. I should have called that out because it looked way out but I figured you would do it." She said, "I didn't call it out because I figured you would call it in."

Ah, well. We won easily. :)

Ronaldo
09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Tell that partner to make the call after the ball bounces.

Winning Ugly
09-18-2010, 07:47 AM
As I do not have perfect vision, unless I CLEARLY see the ball out, I tend to defer to my partner. No use embarrassing someone who probably is correct -- it's not life or death.

But, I always look to the opponents first reaction, which seems to give the right cue. If I have doubts, AND they give that "are you kidding me" look, then I am pretty quick to overrule in their favor. I have one partner who routinely misses close calls, mostly in his favor. He is a scrupulously honest guy; I really believe a combo of bad vision and hope does this to him. I have overruled him on occasion as described above and everyone seems OK with it -- it has certainly helped keep us from looking like cheaters...

Winning Ugly
09-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Tell that partner to make the call after the ball bounces.

Definitely good advice. Early calls are a real pet peeve and its easy to fix...

furyballs
09-18-2010, 07:39 PM
If I'm in good position and I clearly see the ball in then I will overrule.

All this talk about people being honest and having poor eyesight is BS (IMHO)
especially when the calls are mostly in there favor.

120mphBodyServe
09-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Start playing with people who know how to play decent tennis?
I've never in my life had this problem.

Steady Eddy
09-18-2010, 10:00 PM
I've never had a partner say that my call was out, except in one mixer set. In that one he over-ruled me three times!! I find it hard to believe that all three of these would, somehow, occur in a single set. He wasn't friendly and wanted to make me look bad for some reason.

I can't think of what to do in this situation other than hit a little dinky lob when he's at the net and hope he loses his teeth. :twisted:

Annika
09-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Just tell him you saw it differently and that you always have to give the benefit of the doubt to the other side.

I would definitely agree on this method.

cigrmaster
09-28-2010, 02:07 PM
I would tell your partner to either start calling the ball correctly or you will walk off the court and forfeit the match.

People who intentionally cheat need to be called on it immediately and they need to know you will not put up with it. Tell them that your honor is more important than winning some stupid league match.

dudeman01
10-04-2010, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't play someone who keep missing calls, in or out. If you can see the ball, you can see the line. Tell them to go get a pair of glasses or consider playing another sport.

Ronaldo
10-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't play someone who keep missing calls, in or out. If you can see the ball, you can see the line. Tell them to go get a pair of glasses or consider playing another sport.

Saw a player go postal when confronted about his calls. However, another guy threatened to get his gat from the trunk of his car and get satisfaction. Dubs can get hot and heavy.

dudeman01
10-04-2010, 10:46 AM
^ So play more singles until you find a suitable doubles partner who will do their best to be consistently right on calls.

Ronaldo
10-04-2010, 12:07 PM
^ So play more singles until you find a suitable doubles partner who will do their best to be consistently right on calls.

And be prepared for the worst when the game begins.